Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

22 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

I’m probably making a dumb comparison, but the way they’ve reinvented their offense to be dynamic and fun (and challenging for the opposing team) while retaining their traditional aspects of a dominant defense reminds me of Germany in the beginning of the Jogi Low era.  

Or spain 10 years ago. They have been playing with alot of confidence with their fast paced 1 touch passing. I think it's likely to be an England v Italy final. I'd much rather see spain beat italy via pens as I think Spain will more likely bottle a final at Wembley.

Not that I am assuming England will reach the finals as Denmark have made a huge statement in this tournament however I do think it's England's game to lose next. Our defense has been strong this tournament, yet to concede a goal and we are about to play a semi final on home turf with the roar of 60 thousand fans.  The atmosphere will be astounding, especially after the past 18 months

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CJohn said:

Nearly done with season 4. Only two episodes left and now they will apparently MOVE THE FUCKING ISLAND because why not.

The stretch run of Season 4 (the attack on Others Village through the finale) is probably the show at its best outside of Season 1, imo

• Like 2

THE ISLAND MOVES BETWEEN TIME AND SO ARE THEY MOVING WITHIN DIFFERENT TIMES WITH JOHN IN ONE TIME AND SAWYER IN ANOTHER AND WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK. ALSO THE JEREMY BENTHAM NONSENSE. LINDELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, CJohn said:

THE ISLAND MOVES BETWEEN TIME AND SO ARE THEY MOVING WITHIN DIFFERENT TIMES WITH JOHN IN ONE TIME AND SAWYER IN ANOTHER AND WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK. ALSO THE JEREMY BENTHAM NONSENSE. LINDELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF.

From an article you should ABSOLUTELY NOT READ THE REST OF so don't go looking for it, but this is safe to read:

Josh Holloway, James “Sawyer” Ford: I remember one time in season one, I told Damon and Carlton, “You know what, the island moves. It’s like the Death Star.” And Damon got all weird with me and he was like, “Who’ve you been talking to?” I was like, “I haven’t talked to nobody. Pretend I never said anything.” And I walked away. So I quit my theorizing right there.

Lindelof: The idea that the island was moving was one of the crazy ideas that J.J. threw out while we were shooting the pilot. Certainly once we had the [writers] room together in season one, I remember having those conversations, because Carlton was pitching it in terms of, like, constellations or something like that. We all always loved the idea and wanted to keep it as a secret. When Josh mentioned it, I’m like, “Oh, okay. Someone is basically talking to him.”

The writers of Lost get a lot of, sometimes justifiable, crap thrown at them for "making it up as they go along" (somewhat justified, as I said, though I tend to think of it more as "this isn't working, let's pivot in a different direction" more often than not).

On the other hand, it's quotes like the above that show a ton of the crazy stuff that went down in that show was planned, if not from the very beginning, very early on in the process.

Also?  CJohn?

giphy.gif?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&re

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

Had the same reaction watching this last year lol.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

On the other hand, it's quotes like the above that show a ton of the crazy stuff that went down in that show was planned, if not from the very beginning, very early on in the process.

Spoiler

I wonder who is to blame for that entire final season. It doesn't hold up once we get the reveal of what is happening in the alternate reality.

32 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Spoiler

I wonder who is to blame for that entire final season. It doesn't hold up once we get the reveal of what is happening in the alternate reality.

Spoilers for future episodes of LOST:

Spoiler

I disagree.  I actually think the final season was wonderful (held up fantastically well on the re-watch I recently did).  But I can only be a "shill and apologist" for one thing at a time, so I'll save it for another time. ;)

Edited by Porthos

7 hours ago, cax16 said:

Just finished rewatching Superman.

I know the whole "they don't make them like they used to" is a little unfair to a lot of great filmmakers today, but...man they don't make it like they used to. It feels so nice to have a sincere, hopeful, optimistic superhero movie that doesn't force out a million jokes or tries to deconstruct the superhero narrative. It's just a passionate, kind look at an amazing hero that effortlessly blends comedy and drama and heroics into a beautiful package and I really hope we get something like this again.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Eric Belov said:

Just finished rewatching Superman.

I know the whole "they don't make them like they used to" is a little unfair to a lot of great filmmakers today, but...man they don't make it like they used to. It feels so nice to have a sincere, hopeful, optimistic superhero movie that doesn't force out a million jokes or tries to deconstruct the superhero narrative. It's just a passionate, kind look at an amazing hero that effortlessly blends comedy and drama and heroics into a beautiful package and I really hope we get something like this again.

I agree. Captain America: The First Avenger is fucking amazing.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2