Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:
14 minutes ago, filmlover said:

IP is just what sells these days. 

Sure, that’s exactly what the networks have convinced themselves about. So that’s what we’re gonna be getting, in spades (with occasional but increasingly rare exceptions). 

Fun fact.  I literally read this and then shifted my eyes to your current Custom Location.

Something something, Physician thyself, something something. 

Spoiler

Love ya, Tele, but I must admit I found that juxtaposition extremely amusing. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Really? I couldn't tell. :lol:

(added in a weren't that I figured belonged there)

====

I get your concern, Tele, I really do.  But, well, I am gonna be surprised at the first "Franchise" Emmy win that comes out of Marvel/Disney/Whatever, as I just don't think the current Emmy voter base sees it as "serious"/"epic" enough.  Maaaaaaaybe if the rumors about Mando Going Big are true, then in a few years that could happen as sort of a lifetime achievement award.  On the other hand, I already am seeing the Oscar-ification of the Emmys starting to happen (where more 'arty' things get elevated in an attempt to separate from the hoi poloi), and I won't be shocked to see tha...

*remembers Game of Thrones winning forever and ever once it picked up steam*

That Amazon Middle Earth series is gonna ABSOLUTELY BLOW EVERYTHING OUT OF THE WATER, isn't it?  That seems in the perfect cross-section of "arty" and "epic"

At least it won't be Marvel/Star Wars/CBM?  Count your blessings there, Tele?

(NARRATOR:  Tele would, in fact, not count his blessings there)

😂😂😂

“But, well, I am gonna be surprised at the first "Franchise" Emmy win that comes out of Marvel/Disney/Whatever, as I just don't think the current Emmy voter base sees it as "serious"/"epic" enough.”

Give it a few years. Maybe Mando won’t win, but Boba Fett might. Or Kenobi. Or a Tony Stark prequel series. Or whatever it is that the Skrull series is called. I’m sure it’ll be devastatingly powerful. 

(I’m not very excited about the LOTR thingie, lol. I’d like to be pleasantly surprised, though.)

For every interesting and neat show that’s NOT getting eyeballs or notice, consider them gone and replaced by whatever franchise thingy the studio in question has control over. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fun fact.  I literally read this and then shifted my eyes to your current Custom Location.

Something something, Physician thyself, something something. 

Reveal hidden contents

Totally forgot I even had that up, lol. Sure, if WB gets a giant hit we’ll have to deal with Harkonnen and Adreides prequels and maybe a Fremen series and OF COURSE a Bene Gesserit show and then I’ll just go live in a cave in the woods. 

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Sure, that’s exactly what the networks have convinced themselves about. So that’s what we’re gonna be getting, in spades (with occasional but increasingly rare exceptions). 

Is there really much to be convinced about when there's already evidence it works? It's not like they've given up on other kinds of content either. Sometimes you just can't predict what will connect and what won't until it's out there (a lesson the entire entertainment industry just learned in a very hard manner from the shock failure of In the Heights).

Just now, filmlover said:

Is there really much to be convinced about when there's already evidence it works? It's not like they've given up on other kinds of content either.

They will. Limited resources and all that. Better to fully invest in IP you control than risk the chance of wasting dollars chasing something more ephemeral.

6 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

They will. Limited resources and all that. Better to fully invest in IP you control than risk the chance of wasting dollars chasing something more ephemeral.

Wish I could agree with this grim view of future TV but I can't. Especially when it feels like new TV IP is being created all the time (heck, apparently The Queen's Gambit is IP now since there's talk of a Broadway musical happening lol).

Speaking of which, Amazon just scrapped that Nicolas Cage Joe Exotic series they were planning. Pretty sure the Kate McKinnon Carole Baskin show is the only one of those many Tiger King-associated shows announced last year actually moving forward. Think we can all agree that very few tears will be shed over that particular IP drying up fast.

I dunno about all that, aside from the occasional movie I've just been using my Disney+ subscription to watch Dinosaurs the past couple months. Pretty good. pretty funny. I remember that show used to creep me the fuck out when I was a kid but now i'm just impressed by the puppetry and shit. I can never get over how good it is.

6 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I dunno about all that, aside from the occasional movie I've just been using my Disney+ subscription to watch Dinosaurs the past couple months. Pretty good. pretty funny. I remember that show used to creep me the fuck out when I was a kid but now i'm just impressed by the puppetry and shit. I can never get over how good it is.

Funny enough, I've watched a good chunk of Dinosaurs too. I only knew about the last episode going in and I kinda expected it to just be Flintstone-style puns, but it's actually way smarter and way more clever than I ever thought it would be? And yeah, those puppets are so cool.

Come to think of it, I've started to realize Disney+ is like...the only thing I've been watching this year? I've watched all the Marvel shows, I watched the Mighty Ducks show, that Big Shot show with John Stamos, the James Cameron whale show, the first two eps of the Monsters Inc. show...and I don't know why I ended up watching all of them? I think I just did some of them for the lols?

Saw a fair amount of Muppet Show too. I know for a fact I'll probably watch that Turner and Hooch show as a child who watched way too much 2000s Nickelodeon...probably watch that Tony Hale/Kristen Schaal show...I'm a mess :(

To keep people at ease, I also watch a ton of HBO Max and Hulu, but mainly just Key and Peele and Gordon Ramsay shows. I am watching Sopranos for the first time and I'm already through the first six episodes. It's good!

On 7/13/2021 at 11:42 AM, CJohn said:

The Handmaid's Tale is utter garbage how in the hell it is still getting nominated fucking lmao.

I agree, I would not blame Margater Atwood for being furious with how her excellent novel has been butchured...but I think it is getting a nom because of it;s political message. I 1000% agree with the message..theocracies are really, really, bad....but don't think it should get pass from being a lousy show becuase it has a good message.

Oh right, I've also watched Handmaid's Tale this year. Still haven't gotten through the newest season because I'm watching it with my mom (don't ask) and she likes to watch these whenever she feels like it. Man this newest season is a slog so far. It's clear the writers want to get this shit over with and I hope Hulu or MGM or Amazon or whoever is in charge just lets it die gracefully by next season, season 6 at the latest. At least try and end on an okay note.

I'm still watching The Handmaid's Tale and don't hate it like most do (in fact I still think it's a decent show) but it's definitely starting to grow a sense of "this needs to end sooner than later." I can't see it lasting past another two seasons anyway since one has to imagine everyone will want to move on to other projects, especially Moss.

Edited by filmlover

40 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Come to think of it, I've started to realize Disney+ is like...the only thing I've been watching this year? I've watched all the Marvel shows, I watched the Mighty Ducks show, that Big Shot show with John Stamos, the James Cameron whale show, the first two eps of the Monsters Inc. show...and I don't know why I ended up watching all of them? I think I just did some of them for the lols?

Saw a fair amount of Muppet Show too. I know for a fact I'll probably watch that Turner and Hooch show as a child who watched way too much 2000s Nickelodeon...probably watch that Tony Hale/Kristen Schaal show...I'm a mess :(

No love for that Olivia Rodrigo High School Musical revival? Of all the shows to be left out in the cold...