Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

More detailed thoughts:

The show is amazing. The attention to detail is outstanding and it is able to maintain its focus for 118 episodes while never being bored or pointless. The characters are (mostly) terrific. Even Ben and Desmond, which are added later in the game, are very well developed. A few are pretty bad (highlighting Nikki and Paolo here) or seem to just disappear because they ran out of time/ideas for them (poor Ilana), but overall it is kinda of insane how great the cast is considering it is such a large ensemble. The actors were all perfectly chosen for their roles.

The story never fails to surprise. It feels like in every episode there is one big moment that leaves us wanting more. At some points it felt like crack, I couldn't stop watching. The lore is absolutely insane and I will have to read tons of articles online to get it all. The explanations? Well, that was never Lindelof's strongest aspect, and the Jacob/Smoke Monster origins episode is a clear proof of that. Still, I feel like most things were explained or at least it was given some sort of answer to why it was happening (even if the answer was "she made it that we can never leave the island or kill each other" or "the Man in Black is now a smoke monster because it touched the heart of the island").  

Overall, this is one of the ages. There is never gonna be another show like Lost again. Never. The character development, the attention to detail, the world building, the lore. Everything is at its peak. No show will be able to do this again nowadays, especially a show that lasts nearly 120 episodes. It is a masterpiece and one of my favorite shows ever, if not my favorite show ever. It is a ride I will never forget. Thanks Lindelof.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4
  • Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, CJohn said:

More detailed thoughts:

The show is amazing. The attention to detail is outstanding and it is able to maintain its focus for 118 episodes while never being bored or pointless. The characters are (mostly) terrific. Even Ben and Desmond, which are added later in the game, are very well developed. A few are pretty bad (highlighting Nikki and Paolo here) or seem to just disappear because they ran out of time/ideas for them (poor Ilana), but overall it is kinda of insane how great the cast is considering it is such a large ensemble. The actors were all perfectly chosen for their roles.

The story never fails to surprise. It feels like in every episode there is one big moment that leaves us wanting more. At some points it felt like crack, I couldn't stop watching. The lore is absolutely insane and I will have to read tons of articles online to get it all. The explanations? Well, that was never Lindelof's strongest aspect, and the Jacob/Smoke Monster origins episode is a clear proof of that. Still, I feel like most things were explained or at least it was given some sort of answer to why it was happening (even if the answer was "she made it that we can never leave the island or kill each other" or "the Man in Black is now a smoke monster because it touched the heart of the island").  

Overall, this is one of the ages. There is never gonna be another show like Lost again. Never. The character development, the attention to detail, the world building, the lore. Everything is at its peak. No show will be able to do this again nowadays, especially a show that lasts nearly 120 episodes. It is a masterpiece and one of my favorite shows ever, if not my favorite show ever. It is a ride I will never forget. Thanks Lindelof.

:bravo: 

(Now watch THE LEFTOVERS.) :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

:kitschjob:

At least it's not the Dodgers...

Still... :kitschjob: :kitschjob: :kitschjob: 

I can live with it. It’s the Padres. The entire baseball world will give them an A+ on the trade… and the expectations that come with that. Can they overcome it or just melt down the way they usually do?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Gotta say, @CJohn, your enthusiasm and overall happiness about the show made my day. 

My girlfriend is so sad. She loved the show and now anything we watch she just tells me she wants more Lost.

Edited by CJohn
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 2

2 minutes ago, Skipper Eric said:

@Lucas I appreciate the return to form on your profile pic. The world needs more of that nightmare fuel out in the open

Ah thank you, I agree. I put together the strange human-skin Yoda in a hazmat suit on the day the 'rona was declared a pandemic. Now that I've finally been able to get vaccinated, I thought it's about time we start rockin' the weird James Corden's cat-face on The Doctor's body picture again.

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

From:  Lost: An Oral History of the Daring, Divisive 'The End'  (Vulture)

Really fantastic, and at many times frank, interview about the roller coaster adventure that was making a show called LOST.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED reading now that you're done with the show.

Fantastic reading. Thank you very much for sharing this. I will see the epilogue when I have the chance.

This show just sticks with us. What an incredible achievement it was.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

You guys should watch The Event.

That is a one and done trash clone of Lost that networks so desperately tried to make happen for the past 10 years and always failed. No thanks.

I wonder what will be the next show that becomes such a phenomenon that it leads to a million clones trying to piggyback off of said show's success to no success themselves. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to be the next Game of Thrones anymore after the violently negative reaction to how it ended. Obviously the MCU and Star Wars shows are too tied to their respective movie franchises.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I wonder what will be the next show that becomes such a phenomenon that it leads to a million clones trying to piggyback off of said show's success to no success themselves. Doesn't seem like anyone wants to be the next Game of Thrones anymore after the violently negative reaction to how it ended. Obviously the MCU and Star Wars shows are too tied to their respective movie franchises.

The Boys