Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

lmao Matt Damon's PR nightmare this time around might be even worse than the tone deaf comments he made about #MeToo as it was happening during the Downsizing promo tour (which had many speculating was the reason the cameo he shot for Ocean's 8 ended up cut from the final movie when it came out several months later).

36 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lmao Matt Damon's PR nightmare this time around might be even worse than the tone deaf comments he made about #MeToo as it was happening during the Downsizing promo tour (which had many speculating was the reason the cameo he shot for Ocean's 8 ended up cut from the final movie when it came out several months later).

• Haha 1

If y'all would listen to the mods so they wouldn't have to keep locking the tracking thread when i'm trying to post my nightly update, it'd be really appreciated.  :rant: 

Spoiler

Not actually upset, but I would like to post it before I head to bed in a while. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
Edited my post a bit to make it more clear that I am not upset in the slightest.
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, filmlover said:

Being Damon's PR person must be a frustrating job.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Being Damon's PR person must be a frustrating job.

It must be deceptively difficult. His personal life is nice but dull, his family is boring (not even a secret criminal brother to avoid being asked about by nosy reporters), he doesn't have any substance/criminal issues, and lays low when he's not promoting something. The PR experts who stage manage "candid" photo ops, put a good spin on a star's messy love life/drug problems/resurfaced tweets or are in charge of promoting someone's "brand" on social media, will work with flashier stars. Damon just says dumb things in interviews sometimes, but they mostly blow over (though Twitter remembers). He has cultivated a nice liberal guy image, if I had a list of "Stars Over 50 Who Just Realized This Year That It's Bad To Use Homophobic Slurs", Matt Damon wouldn't have made my Top 20. So maybe his PR team is better than they get credit for? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

On 8/1/2021 at 10:40 PM, AJG said:

I imagine this is Matt Damon’s publicist for the last 2 hours wondering why he would even share this information

tenor.gif

The publicist has thrown out a response after a morning of quiet meditation. Let’s see how this works for him

EDIT: I just read the article. His entire statement reads like Riley’s teacher from The Boondocks

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 3

We all know this Damon gaffe will completely blow over when Jimmy Kimmel pokes fun at him about it while promoting The Last Duel in a few months. That or he'll follow in Mark Wahlberg's footsteps and make his own "homophobia is bad" flop Oscar vehicle.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

I've never seen this movie, what the fuck.

Ah yes, I remember the deep shame of watching this in a sold out screen with my 3D glasses on.

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The post Avatar glow in full effect

I'd say "time hasn't been good to it"/"it hasn't aged well", except as I check the wayback machine over at IMDB it wasn't exactly highly rated at the time.  6.9 (April 2010 one month post release) to 6.6 (now) isn't that much of a drop.

The tenor of the ambivalent reviews are pretty much similar now and then: Lots of interesting visuals; shame about the plot.

Can't say I was paying attention to movie box office at the time (I very much wasn't), but it does seem like it was one of the films that caught lightning-in-a-bottle when it came to the short-lived 3D craze that was going on at the time.  But also think the leaps and bounds of visuals when it came to film (one of the other legacies of Avatar) helped that film be at the right place at the right time.

And "right place at the right time" is pretty apparent when we look at how Through the Looking Glass did.  That I was around for and, phew, its box office run wasn't pretty to see unfold.

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'd say "time hasn't been good to it"/"it hasn't aged well", except as I check the wayback machine over at IMDB it wasn't exactly highly rated at the time.  6.9 (April 2010 one month post release) to 6.6 (now) isn't that much of a drop.

The tenor of the ambivalent reviews are pretty much similar now and then: Lots of interesting visuals; shame about the plot.

Can't say I was paying attention to movie box office at the time (I very much wasn't), but it does seem like it was one of the films that caught lightning-in-a-bottle when it came to the short-lived 3D craze that was going on at the time.  But also think the leaps and bounds of visuals when it came to film (one of the other legacies of Avatar) helped that film be at the right place at the right time.

And "right place at the right time" is pretty apparent when we look at how Through the Looking Glass did.  That I was around for and, phew, its box office run wasn't pretty to see unfold.

The other thing to remember was that back in 2010 both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp were both pretty sizeable draws, so it had everything going for it to succeed. Just imagine if the movie they made was actually decent. I remember the OW numbers being a shock for sure even though big business was expected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I've never seen this movie, what the fuck.

Anybody who says this isn't the worst of these Disney remakes is a lying cow. Easily up there as one of the most garish and obnoxious blockbusters ever made (yes I know that's saying a lot)