Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The post Avatar glow in full effect

This, it was the first and only 3D movie being advertised during Avatar, people wanted to replicate that experience. It wasn't the only film to see a post Avatar boom, Clash of the Titans did the same on a smaller scale. It was so bad yet made half a billion. POTC 4, Transforms 3 both unexpectedly saw sizable worldwide increases

I think box office changed as a whole after 2009, we went from having only 4 movies making 1b to 48 movies 10 years later. 

3 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

The post Avatar glow in full effect

I'm not one of those "AvAtAr LeFt No ImPaCt" chuds, but...man did 3D leave no impact after like three years. I'm honestly curious to see how it affects Avatar 2's box office, because I know Jimbo will force theaters to give 3D showings the best times available, but will people honestly care about these effects? Will it be a good selling point anymore?

Alice in Wonderland's massive overperformance was definitely the result of Avatar 3D afterglow. Also Depp being arguably one of the biggest draws before everyone got sick of him. In any other scenario it still would've made a lot of money because it was such an easy sell, but probably closer to what Oz the Great and Powerful made for Disney in the same release spot three years later.

Terrible post-conversions like Clash of the Titans '10 and The Green Hornet (lol someone actually tried to make Seth Rogen: Action Star a thing at one point in time) is what really killed 3D. Also being used on every single movie with blockbuster aspirations. "When every movie's special, no movie is special" in full effect.

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

Those prices are fucking insane.

Gives a good baseline for what a Westworld Vacay might have been like, though.

(this is being billed as an immersive experience and there will be folks willing to shell out the money to do just that)

22 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gives a good baseline for what a Westworld Vacay might have been like, though.

(this is being billed as an immersive experience and there will be folks willing to shell out the money to do just that)

When I compared this to a Real Life Westworld, I wasn't entirely exaggerating.  From what I recall from discussion surrounding this, when you check in you're not allowed to leave.  Or at least I seem to recall that being in the discussion surrounding this so if that's not quite true then ignore.

The mistake is thinking this as some sort of Supersized Galaxy's Edge and more of a Westworld Without the Killer Robots.

Well, "yet" at any rate. :ph34r:

As this is getting finalized I really should look into this a bit more to see if my recollections are right, but I really do believe this is less a "sleep in a SW-themed hotel" and more a "live in the SW galaxy for a few days" type deal. 

Edited by Porthos

Just a normal trip to Disney World tends to cost a really pretty penny (especially if you go at a busy time of year). Having a wedding there can really break the bank (their packages start at $2,500 and up to 10x as much if you're planning to get hitched in front of a Disney Parks landmark like Cinderella's Castle). Nothing about these Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser deals surprises me in the slightest.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Just a normal trip to Disney World tends to cost a really pretty penny (especially if you go at a busy time of year). Having a wedding there can really break the bank (their packages start at $2,500 and up to 10x as much if you're planning to get hitched in front of a Disney Parks landmark like Cinderella's Castle). Nothing about these Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser deals surprises me in the slightest.

Do think there's a danger of sticker shock though.  People have been hardwired over decades that weddings can be massively expensive if one goes crazy.  A "hotel night stay" though just has different expectations.

Really comes down to what people are expecting/wanting here.  A hotel stay with a few SW themes? A visit to a SW themed amusement park?  Or a Jurassic Park style experience without all of the killer dinos?  

(yes, yes, people are already making the obligatory comments about "coupon day" thanks for asking)

If they can sell enough people with money to spend on the latter, then this will do well.  But if people really don't want a "Westworld for Star Wars Nerds".... Well, just have to see how many people really will shell out that sort of cash.  

EDIT:::

I should also add another danger.  This is 365/24/7 presumably.  Disney is able to get people to shell out mega cash on weddings at Cinderella's Castle.  That doesn't surprise me in the least.  

And they'll probably get enough people to sell out this hotel for its opening week.  And month for that matter.

But what about Month 2?  Month 3?  Month 15?

Is the supply of Star Wars Fans With This Level of Disposable Income large enough to keep this hotel/attraction booked at reasonable levels for months on end?

Dunno.  Guess we're gonna find out.

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Do think there's a danger of sticker shock though.  People have been hardwired over decades that weddings can be massively expensive if one goes crazy.  A "hotel night stay" though just has different expectations.

Really comes down to what people are expecting/wanting here.  A hotel stay with a few SW themes? A visit to a SW themed amusement park?  Or a Jurassic Park style experience without all of the killer dinos?  

(yes, yes, people are already making the obligatory comments about "coupon day" thanks for asking)

If they can sell enough people with money to spend on the latter, then this will do well.  But if people really don't want a "Westworld for Star Wars Nerds".... Well, just have to see how many people really will shell out that sort of cash.  

EDIT:::

I should also add another danger.  This is 365/24/7 presumably.  Disney is able to get people to shell out mega cash on weddings at Cinderella's Castle.  That doesn't surprise me in the least.  

And they'll probably get enough people to sell out this hotel for its opening week.  And month for that matter.

But what about Month 2?  Month 3?  Month 15?

Is the supply of Star Wars Fans With This Level of Disposable Income large enough to keep this hotel/attraction booked at reasonable levels for months on end?

Dunno.  Guess we're gonna find out.

I wouldn't be surprised if it maintains some level of occupancy due to guest capacity being very limited compared to the average Disney resort. The building housing it already doesn't look that huge and there are no offshoot/satellite buildings. Going by what I presume are the gaps for the fire/emergency escapes, the rooms are only on the elongated part of the building.

Photo_8-3-6370258-1200x800.jpg

If it only has like 100-200 rooms total, it could be one of those resorts that end up fully booked for several months in advance if for no other reason than that.

Edited by cookie

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it maintains some level of occupancy due to guest capacity being very limited compared to the average Disney resort. The building housing it already doesn't look that huge and there are no offshoot/satellite buildings. Going by what I presume are the gaps for the fire/emergency escapes, the rooms are only on the elongated part of the building.

Photo_8-3-6370258-1200x800.jpg

If it only has like 100-200 rooms total, it could be one of those resorts that end up fully booked for several months in advance at times.

Found out on a subreddit just now that it's approx 100 room occupancy.

Which is.... Okay, gonna be a lot easier to keep filled, especially with two days blocked off at a time. 

Def for the Upper Middle Class/Lower Upper Class and beyond, but finding approx 350 families a week?  In the Global Super Leisure Market?  

Yeah, maybe not quite as ludicrous as I first thought.

10 hours ago, Skipper Eric said:

Anybody who says this isn't the worst of these Disney remakes is a lying cow. Easily up there as one of the most garish and obnoxious blockbusters ever made (yes I know that's saying a lot)

The 2010 "ALice" was not a remake but a horribly messed up sequel

The Empty Man seems to be getting discovered and praised by more people as each day passes (Michael McKean just praised and we'll probably even see more popular celebs discover and praise it). I don't think I've seen a film develop a geniune cult following like this in a while.

• Like 1