Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 hours ago, AJG said:

Another foolish reboot made to tap into the Fuller House phenomena is now joining the ever expanding list instantaneously cancelled and immediately forgotten TV sequels such as:

Roseanne

Will and Grace

Murphy Brown

24: Legacy

The Twilight Zone

Girl Meets World

Heroes Reborn

Party of 5

One Day At a Time

Mad About You

Prison Break 2017

Dallas

X-Files

We have The Wonder Year and Frasier still to come. Saved By The Bell miraculously made it to season 2.

Paramount+ is developing a bunch of those revivals in addition to old movies turned into TV shows as well, it will be interesting.

17 hours ago, AJG said:

Another foolish reboot made to tap into the Fuller House phenomena is now joining the ever expanding list instantaneously cancelled and immediately forgotten TV sequels such as:

Roseanne

Will and Grace

Murphy Brown

24: Legacy

The Twilight Zone

Girl Meets World

Heroes Reborn

Party of 5

One Day At a Time

Mad About You

Prison Break 2017

Dallas

X-Files

We have The Wonder Year and Frasier still to come. Saved By The Bell miraculously made it to season 2.

I saw a bunch of Gen Zers dunk on Girl Meets World a couple months ago, and it led me to these clips

How Disney Channel executives looked at these scripts and said to themselves, "yeah this is fine to air" will forever baffle me

• ...wtf 1

33 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

I saw a bunch of Gen Zers dunk on Girl Meets World a couple months ago, and it led me to these clips

How Disney Channel executives looked at these scripts and said to themselves, "yeah this is fine to air" will forever baffle me

I thought those clips were gonna be some lite "adult jokes" and you were whining about how "inappropriate" they are like the people that moan about 'Victorious' but.... my god that was horrible.

These people don't understand communism,  the history of America, God, atheism, individuality. 

I remember when the show got cancelled. The ratings were good but it turned out more adults were into it than kids. Now I know why. On top of being slow preachy and flat out wrong the show doesn't seem to be funny. They expected 10 year olds to suffer through this.

• Like 1

"Call of Duty has continued to expand into an incredible universe of experiences. This was a creative choice that reflects how Vanguard represents the next major installment in the franchise”

This sound past the non-answer era, now it is the not even actual attempt to hide the non-answer era.

Just saw Neill Blomkamp has a new movie out this weekend via dumped as an IFC hybrid release and the reviews are really terrible. Is he maybe the most obvious example ever of a one hit wonder director? And to think he seemed primed to become a big name talent in the industry after District 9 came out...

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is he maybe the most obvious example ever of a one hit wonder director? And to think he seemed primed to become a big name talent in the industry after District 9 came out...

Richard Kelly after Donnie Darko comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Except Kelly has the bizarro and prophetic masterpiece SOUTHLAND TALES in his quiver too. And Blomkamp has ELYSIUM and CHAPPIE as well — two solid (albeit flawed) movies. 

(Kelly does a lot of high-level script doctoring work, fwiw.)

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Orestes said:

Another good one. Just realized he hasn't directed another movie since 2009's asinine The Box.

Another strong contender who fits the bill is Jason Reitman. Two of his first three features were both Best Picture/Director nominees and considerable box office hits and since then he's gone on to a bunch of complete nonstarters, which is likely why he has now turned to his father's legacy (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) in hopes that people will actually notice a movie of his again.

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Just saw Neill Blomkamp has a new movie out this weekend via dumped as an IFC hybrid release and the reviews are really terrible. Is he maybe the most obvious example ever of a one hit wonder director? And to think he seemed primed to become a big name talent in the industry after District 9 came out...

Yeah he really was a one hit wonder however I enjoyed Elysium and Chappie even if critics didn't.

Speaking of one hit wonders, Kerry Conran directed 'Sky Captain' which I remember being a blast but he never directed a movie again. Though I guess sky captain wasn't a hit

Edited by Chicago

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Another good one. Just realized he hasn't directed another movie since 2009's asinine The Box.

Another strong contender who fits the bill is Jason Reitman. Two of his first three features were both Best Picture/Director nominees and considerable box office hits and since then he's gone on to a bunch of complete nonstarters, which is likely why he has now turned to his father's legacy (Ghostbusters: Afterlife) in hopes that people will actually notice a movie of his again.

A pity. Tully and especially Young Adult are phenomenal. Young Adult in particular has quickly become one of my favorite movies of all time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Free Eric said:

I am demonstrably sorry for defending Scott Mendelson all those months ago

Hitler is a really weird way of spelling Judy Garland.

• Like 2