Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

I'm just going to continue on with my day and try to ignore that I just found out that Spike Lee is at least a  "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams" curious guy.  

(Also, they did have hearings.  They were kinda a big deal at the time)

Even if jet fuel can't melt steal beams, I'm sure it makes them weak enough to give way to thousands of tonnes of weight. 

This guy lost all my respect when he went on a rant at the Oscars a few years back when his film was beaten by a better film.

Edited by Chicago

Even your favorite arthouse studios have zero problems throwing shade at each other (this is what he's referring to btw: A24 x Joya Genre Candles – A24 Shop (a24films.com))

“But I can assure you that what we will not be doing is selling $50 candles. It’s just not part of who we are. It feels inauthentic. We’ll continue to focus on the things that are really meaningful – our filmmakers and our audience.”

On 8/23/2021 at 3:44 PM, Porthos said:

I'm just going to continue on with my day and try to ignore that I just found out that Spike Lee is at least a  "Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams" curious guy.  

(Also, they did have hearings.  They were kinda a big deal at the time)

Don't get me started on the 9/11 Truthers.

They are sort of a left wing version of the "Trump had the election stolen from him" morons on the right.

Not the first time Spike Lee has pulled this conspiracy shit. In his film on Hurricane Katrina, he pushed a theory the White people blew up levees in order to flood Black  Neighborhoods in New Orleans...a theory which, of course, has no proof or evidence to back it up.

Guess he is trying to be the new Oliver Stone....

10 hours ago, Eric Robitaille said:

We won fam

Their policy is only suspended, so they can just quietly try something similar later down the line. A lot of content creators really don't trust them now and are looking elsewhere.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

They are sort of a left wing version of the "Trump had the election stolen from him" morons on the right.

Not the first time Spike Lee has pulled this conspiracy shit. In his film on Hurricane Katrina, he pushed a theory the White people blew up levees in order to flood Black  Neighborhoods in New Orleans...a theory which, of course, has no proof or evidence to back it up.

In 2005, no, but in the past, a levee was blown up around New Orleans so certain areas were flooded, hoping to spare others. So I can see why some locals were distrustful when Katrina happened, there was a history at least.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/neworleans-james-butler-and-flood-1927/

But any fire can't melt steel conspiracy is just...*sigh*. Some people just need terrible events to have some grander meaning, and not that the world can be brought to its knees if terrible-yet-relatively-anonymous people manage to execute a malevolent plan (political killings, terrorist attacks, etc), or a disease rears its ugly head (like they have throughout history). Spike has always been messy and an agitator, so going all conspiracy theorist fits right in with that.

Aaron Hernandez was trending and I wondered if they'd pinned another murder on him or an actor had been cast for that Ryan Murphy show, but no, it's just NBA Twitter being messy about Steph Curry's parents' messy divorce. Everyone guessing Sonya hooked up with Gronk based on the headline that Dell Curry's accusing her of an affair with a former Patriots tight end, but no, it's some guy she knew from college who caught one NFL pass back in the eighties, ha ha.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

In 2005, no, but in the past, a levee was blown up around New Orleans so certain areas were flooded, hoping to spare others. So I can see why some locals were distrustful when Katrina happened, there was a history at least.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/neworleans-james-butler-and-flood-1927/

But any fire can't melt steel conspiracy is just...*sigh*. Some people just need terrible events to have some grander meaning, and not that the world can be brought to its knees if terrible-yet-relatively-anonymous people manage to execute a malevolent plan (political killings, terrorist attacks, etc), or a disease rears its ugly head (like they have throughout history). Spike has always been messy and an agitator, so going all conspiracy theorist fits right in with that.

Ftr, I do like Spike Lee quite a lot, and I think the phrase "messy" perfectly captures a facet, and I do mean A facet, of his personality and politics. 

FWIW:

Spike Lee Says He Is Re-Editing 9/11 Chapter Of HBO’s ‘NYC Epicenters’ Amid Backlash

patrick-hipes.jpg?w=60

Spike Lee is back in the editing room to look at the final episode of NYC Epicenters 9/11➔2021½, his docuseries about the obstacles faced by New York City over the past two decades. It debuted last week on HBO.

The fourth episode, focusing on the 9/11 terror attacks, is timed to premiere on September 11, the 20th anniversary. That episodes raised eyebrows with some after Brooklyn-born Lee’s remarks in a New York Times article last week saying he still “had questions” about the attacks that brought down the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, and that his interviews included conspiracy theorists who are convinced the U.S. government was not truthful about what happened that day.

The episode, which weaves together a picture of September 11, 2001, as it unfolded for the New Yorkers on the ground and the first responders who raced to the scene after two hijacked planes were deliberately flown into the buildings. The towers ultimately collapsed, killing almost 3,000 in the most deadly terror attack on U.S. soil in history.

Lee’s interviews included ones with Architects and Engineers for 9/11 Truth, a group that believes the Twin Towers were brought down via a controlled explosion, not the planes.

“I’m Back In The Editing Room And Looking At The Eighth And Final Chapter Of NYC EPICENTERS 9/11➔2021½,” Lee said in a statement provided by HBO on Wednesday. “I Respectfully Ask You To Hold Your Judgement Until You See The FINAL CUT. I Thank You.”

The docuseries also has a focus on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic and the Black Lives Matter movement, all through the lens of New York.

• Thanks 1

I guess we can count Thandie Newton among the people not too eager to work with Disney again anytime soon: she's confirmed that her role in Solo really was reduced to almost nothing.

“You don’t kill off the first Black woman to ever have a real role in a Star Wars movie,” she says. “Like, are you fucking joking?”

ON SOLO AND HOW STAR WARS FAILED ITS FIRST WOMAN-OF-COLOR PROTAGONIST

I felt disappointed by Star Wars that my character was killed. And, actually, in the script, she wasn’t killed. It happened during filming. And it was much more just to do with the time we had to do the scenes. It’s much easier just to have me die than it is to have me fall into a vacuum of space so I can come back sometime.

Star Wars: Thandiwe Newton calls her 'Solo' death “a big mistake” [Exclusive] (inverse.com)

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

Spike Lee is a racist, he should be shamed for it like anyone else, instead he gets away with it