Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Cap said:

I used to back in the day. Their animation wing was putting out some of the best DC Comics content period. But it’s been a while. 

==

and to not double post, but I am so effing high on AEW right now it’s insane. Bryan Danielson, Kenny Omega, CM Punk 

Jump Goat GIF

Omega vs Danielson was perfect. Couldn't have asked for more. I'm really interested to see how they managed to thread the Danielson plotline into the overarching Omega-Hangman plotline which is the main thrust of AEW storytelling since the beginning.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Omega vs Danielson was perfect. Couldn't have asked for more. I'm really interested to see how they managed to thread the Danielson plotline into the overarching Omega-Hangman plotline which is the main thrust of AEW storytelling since the beginning.

I would assume you’re going to get a sequel, or you’re going to get another two (so it’s 3 over all) Before they go their separate ways. Both non championship matches. I don’t see any reason to put the belt on Bryan.  He’s over enough and doesn’t need it. (Or at least not this early.)

15 hours ago, Cap said:

I would assume you’re going to get a sequel, or you’re going to get another two (so it’s 3 over all) Before they go their separate ways. Both non championship matches. I don’t see any reason to put the belt on Bryan.  He’s over enough and doesn’t need it. (Or at least not this early.)

• Haha 1

The “Night Court” sequel series has been picked up at NBCVariety has learned.

The follow-up to the beloved sitcom created by Reinhold Weege was originally ordered to pilot at NBC back in May. Like the original, the new series will be a half-hour multi-cam. “Big Bang Theory” alum Melissa Rauch is starring in the series along with original series star John Larroquette.

In the series, unapologetically optimistic judge Abby Stone (Rauch), the daughter of the late Harry Stone, follows in her father’s footsteps as she presides over the night shift of a Manhattan arraignment court and tries to bring order to its crew of oddballs and cynics, most notably former night court prosecutor Dan Fielding (Larroquette).

Dan Rubin wrote the pilot and will executive produce along with Melissa and Winston Rauch under their After January production banner. Larroquette will serve as producer in addition to starring. Pamela Fryman directed and executive produced the pilot. Warner Bros. Television and Universal Television will produce. After January is currently under an overall deal at WBTV.

The original “Night Court” ran on NBC from 1984-1992 for nine seasons and nearly 200 episodes. The series won seven Emmys throughout its run, including four for Larroquette in the best supporting actor in a comedy category.

This is the second series order that NBC has announced in recent days. The network also recently picked up the drama series “The Endgame” starring Morena Baccarin and Ryan Michelle Bathé as a notorious arms dealer/criminal mastermind and a dogged FBI agent respectively.

Huh. 

18 hours ago, AJG said:

Are morning talk shows a big deal in America? The way they act on The Morning Show you'd think the future of entire media conglomerates rests on them.

Yes, they can make serious $$$$. Since they're on early, the news is fresh and during a time of day when people are getting ready for work/school/etc. and maybe aren't as glued to devices, so they have a morning show on in the background, though cord-cutting has had an impact on the industry.

The main hosts can do the tough political interviews, but the shows overall are lighter than other news shows and longer. Audiences also get to know the hosts more, to see them through major life changes (marriage/children/widowhood/etc.), and see them as family. To strike the right balance is hard, if fans hate the hosts they'll tune out, so the networks can pay big bucks to keep the talent happy (as long as they want you around, at least. Develop too much of an ego or start looking too old as a woman, and you're out). 

This is the kind of money at stake: 

An internal sales presentation prepared for NBCUniversal News Group Chairman Cesar Conde last year and seen by NBC News indicates the "TODAY" show brought in $408 million in advertising revenue in 2019, compared to "Nightly News" with $146 million and "Meet the Press" with $26 million, according to the document. ABC’s “Good Morning America" brings in $350 million to $375 million in advertising revenue per year and accounts for most of the network’s broadcast news revenue, sources at ABC said.

And that's with the shows being on the downslope, the revenue was even bigger a few years back:

With Lauer at the helm, the “Today” show generated $509 million in ad revenue in 2016, or roughly 5% of NBC Broadcast Television’s total haul of roughly $10.15 billion, according to Kantar Media. 

That's from the time when Matt Lauer got fired, he'd been a main host on The Today Show for 20 years until #MeToo got him, about a month after Weinstein. There'd been years of rumors, though mostly about womanizing, which is not family-friendly, but as long as he stayed married on paper, he was able to play the "nice guy" on morning TV and make bank. The year before he got fired, Lauer bought Richard Gere's old house in the Hamptons for $36 million (it's selling for more now), while still having his smaller Hamptons mansion,  a place in the city (in Bernie Madoff's old building!), plus property overseas.

Tl;dr - Network morning shows have been big moneymakers for decades in the US and everyone involved knows it, massive egos and jockeying naturally follow.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, AJG said:

Are morning talk shows a big deal in America? The way they act on The Morning Show you'd think the future of entire media conglomerates rests on them.

The days when morning news was the be-all, end-all place to receive news is now a thing of the past but the shift away from that is due to the overall changes in Media Culture over the past few decades. As much as it wants to come across as profound, The Morning Show is little more than a glorified soap opera featuring an overqualified cast.

• Like 1

Speaking of American daytime TV, it was awkward what happened yesterday on The View. They pulled them out on air instead of doing it during the commercial break. Makes it seem like they did it for ratings. Which wouldn't surprise me considering The View's decline in entertainment value since Meghan McCain's departure from the show.

They really need to find another confrontational republican for Meghan's seat. I would also bring back Jedediah Bila, she always brought a reasonable and interesting conservative view to the discussion. Trade Sara Haynes for her, and you'd have the perfect panel.

Decade+  late but I just watched SUNSHINE.  I didn't know much about this going in but wow talk about a film that completely drops the ball in the final act.  What was a genuinely thrilling, visually delightful, and relatively smart hard scifi movie turns into a really poor hide and seek slasher film where Sam Neill from Event Horizon shows up along with aggressively shitty camera angles/cuts, editing, and lens flares.  Its like this movie went through a last second rewrite with a new director midway though production for whatever reason.  Disappointing because I love space travel movies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Decade+  late but I just watched SUNSHINE.  I didn't know much about this going in but wow talk about a film that completely drops the ball in the final act.  What was a genuinely thrilling, visually delightful, and relatively smart hard scifi movie turns into a really poor hide and seek slasher film where Sam Neill from Event Horizon shows up along with aggressively shitty camera angles/cuts, editing, and lens flares.  Its like this movie went through a last second rewrite with a new director midway though production for whatever reason.  Disappointing because I love space travel movies.

I love it despite this. (And I do think it recovers at the end.)

2 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Live at Coors Field ready to watch @Porthos’ Giants lose :Venom:

Also thought about catching a movie at one of the theaters I track for the heck of it, but didn’t work out.

*logs in as the game enters the bottom of the ninth*

So you were the good luck charm tonight!  ;)

Hope you enjoyed Walker's ceremony at least.  👍

*remembers it's Coors Field and decides to wait 'till the bottom of the ninth finishes to hit "Submit Reply"*

*watches bottom of the ninth unfold with dinks and dunks everywhere*

*twitches*

thatwastooclose.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1