Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

30 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, man.... :( 

So, the assistant director took a random gun off a tray without asking the armorer and just handed it to the actor telling him it was cold...and all through the process, no one actually checked the gun?  Ooofff...

1st rule of gun safety (and even actors should have to check if there is live ammo on a set, and it seems there was - if this isn't the rule, it should be) - assume it's loaded unless you yourself verified it wasn't...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, the assistant director took a random gun off a tray without asking the armorer and just handed it to the actor telling him it was cold...and all through the process, no one actually checked the gun?  Ooofff...

1st rule of gun safety (and even actors should have to check if there is live ammo on a set, and it seems there was - if this isn't the rule, it should be) - assume it's loaded unless you yourself verified it wasn't...

This is definitely going to lead to additional gun safety measures on movie sets for sure. Prior to each take, the gun will be fired at a bag of sand as precaution or something similar.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Tracking thread once again nails a preview number?

Anakin is coming to the Ahsoka series?

Astros advance to the World Series?

Yeah, I'd say that today has been a good day.  👍

(now all I need is for the Dodgers to lose tomorrow and I'll be all set)

@MrPink @Menor @VenomXXR

Hell yes, party time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with the notion that's been going around that we now have the technology that renders using blanks to achieve "authenticity" as obsolete and that it can be fixed to look convincing in post. I know that it's popular to complain that we rely too much on CGI these days but if it's the safest way of doing things and assures no one's life will potentially be put at risk then so be it.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is definitely going to lead to additional gun safety measures on movie sets for sure. Prior to each take, the gun will be fired at a bag of sand as precaution or something similar.

You might be right, though a simple, basic weapon inspection would show if a gun is loaded or not.

I suspect an incompetent armorer is at the root of the tragedy.

Checking a gun to see if it loaded or not is not rocket science, folks.

Maybe having all actors on a fllm where firearms are to be used a basic course in firearms safety  might help matters.

In my Civil War reenactment group,new members must attend a full day of safety training before we let them on the field. Inspecting your weapon to be sure it is "cold" is the first thing you are taught, and in addition, the unit commander does a weapon inspection before each battle just to be sure.

I can't see why a a professional film crew can't be as careful as a t reenactment group (although we have some

But the question is how the hell did a gun loaded with a live round every get on a movie set in the first place.

Heads need to rool.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

You might be right, though a simple, basic weapon inspection would show if a gun is loaded or not.

I suspect an incompetent armorer is at the root of the tragedy.

Checking a gun to see if it loaded or not is not rocket science, folks.

Maybe having all actors on a fllm where firearms are to be used a basic course in firearms safety  might help matters.

In my Civil War reenactment group,new members must attend a full day of safety training before we let them on the field. Inspecting your weapon to be sure it is "cold" is the first thing you are taught, and in addition, the unit commander does a weapon inspection before each battle just to be sure.

I can't see why a a professional film crew can't be as careful as a t reenactment group (although we have some

But the question is how the hell did a gun loaded with a live round every get on a movie set in the first place.

Heads need to rool.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

“A source close to the union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.“

The details aren’t clear yet — except that tons of safety procedures were overlooked or not done properly. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-10-22/alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set

“A source close to the union said Local 44 does not know what projectile was in the gun and clarified that “live” is an industry term that refers to a gun loaded with some material such as a blank ready for filming.“

The details aren’t clear yet — except that tons of safety procedures were overlooked or not done properly. 

And "Live" round tomost gun owners means a complete round...not a blank but a round with both propellent and charge.

I would still like to know exactly what  kind of revolver they were using.

My one expereince on a movie set was as one of the Civil war Reenactors in
Gettysburg" and there safety measures were doubly enforced..by the safety people and armorer on the crew, and by the safety people in my reenactment group.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*exhales LOUDLY*

Now I can enjoy the World Series with a relatively calm heart. 👍

(condolences to Tele for what they're worth)

it's hard to be upset when a humble wild card falls to a mighty division champion; dodger fans should simply be happy to have made it so far

• Haha 1

Nearly five inches of rain here in Sacto since 11pm last night.  Won't be surprised if we get another inch of rain before this (part of) the system blows over.

To put in perspective, we normally get around 19 inches of rain a year.  We've had a brutal drought recently, so while the rain is super welcome, kinda wish it was spread out a tad (if only so ground has time to soak it up, reservoirs to fill, and so on).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1