Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

52 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The travesty of the lack of inclusion of Buck O'Neil and Minnie Miñoso has been rectified at least.  Long long looooong overdue for both of them, and a crying shame that neither of them are still with us to enjoy induction.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2021 at 1:50 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Did not realise how quickly this year went by until I realised in a month's time, it'll be about a year since I last rewatched the LOTR movies. It feels like I just rewatched them a couple months ago.

I thought Space Jam 2 could have been in 2020. But no, it's 2021.

I guess that means the year has been slow for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

I don’t think it’ll be 500 years before. 100-150 years before is my guess.

Do have to admit when I first saw it, I thought it was set in the prequel era just by some of the pure ascetics.  Especially with what looks to be TPM 3PO.  The Trade Federation ships, by comparison, really didn't move the needle except for cementing the time period (which could just be design not changing much for glorified freighters).

Game is apparently at least two years away, presuming controversy doesn't sink it, so gonna be a while before a more detailed time is nailed down.   And even if the actual game looks anything like this, I'd guess more or less in the Acolyte era, as part of the Twilight of the High Republic/Transition to the Prequel era when it comes to look/feel.  A sense of dread as a new, darker, era is unfolding.

---

As for the developer, that does take a great deal of enthusiasm away here.  Not there are many non-shitty major game studios, but why LFL decided to partner with one that has such a... fresh (and noxious) controversy is something that does raise an eyebrow or three.

Mind, seeing all of the shitty YT channels that have been railing against the whole concept of The High Republic suddenly switch on a dime and start defending the era simply coz of Quantic Dream's involvement does bring an ever ever ever so slight smile to my face.  Not for long mind, as I can probably see how they're gonna spin it.  But I'll take my small victories where I can find them.

57 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The Trade Federation ships, by comparison, really didn't move the needle except for cementing the time period (which could just be design not changing much for glorified freighters).

Yeah the Lucrehulks are freighters first and foremost, so I don’t think it’s a stretch to have the same design for a couple hundred years if it’s working. Gotta keep costs low, ya know?

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

As for the developer

The situation is… definitely not optimal. Still super excited for the game itself, but may have to go for a second hand copy so I don’t feel scummy…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Do have to admit when I first saw it, I thought it was set in the prequel era just by some of the pure ascetics.  Especially with what looks to be TPM 3PO.  The Trade Federation ships, by comparison, really didn't move the needle except for cementing the time period (which could just be design not changing much for glorified freighters).

This is basically my issue here, the Trade Federation ships were the example that stood out the most. I think the High Republic era should feel more aesthetically distinct from the prequels. It juts gives the whole endeavor more identity. Granted I haven't really been keeping up with the books/comics that have been released in the era, so maybe it's different there.