Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I got Disney Plus yesterday as I wanted to watch one of the marvel films. This service is garbage. How does it have 60 million subscribers?! There's literally no content. It splits into four sections "Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars". Like you go into the Star Wars section and you scroll for 2 seconds and it's reached the Making-Of featurettes. It's embarrassing.

Also do other people find that it stutters a lot? The video and audio stutter frequently. Really great way of breaking your immersion when you're trying to watch a movie. None of the other streaming service apps on my TV do this.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I got Disney Plus yesterday as I wanted to watch one of the marvel films. This service is garbage. How does it have 60 million subscribers?! There's literally no content. It splits into four sections "Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars". Like you go into the Star Wars section and you scroll for 2 seconds and it's reached the Making-Of featurettes. It's embarrassing.

Also do other people find that it stutters a lot? The video and audio stutter frequently. Really great way of breaking your immersion when you're trying to watch a movie. None of the other streaming service apps on my TV do this.

Instant and easy access to the Disney (+ MCU + Star Wars) library, or most of it (due to contracts elsewhere). Also I don't know if it's only happening in the US but here they also adding a bunch of Fox titles too, at least the ones deemed family-friendly enough (The Greatest Showman and a number of the X-Men movies are on there while The Fault in Our Stars and Hidden Figures will be added in the weeks ahead).

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Instant and easy access to the Disney (+ MCU + Star Wars) library, or most of it (due to contracts elsewhere). Also I don't know if it's only happening in the US but here they also adding a bunch of Fox titles too, at least the ones deemed family-friendly enough (The Greatest Showman and a number of the X-Men movies are on there while The Fault in Our Stars and Hidden Figures will be added in the weeks ahead).

but I mean its only for old films. And specifically only for those franchises.

Disney also has a TON of films that aren't on there. 

It looks like it has all the x men films, I might watch those actually to be fair.

The idea of paying a subscription exclusively to rewatch films you've seen multiple times - it just seems a bit contrary to the ethos of subscription models, IMO. Although that being said I know there are dedicated subscription services for classic/old films etc.

If you have kids who want to rewatch the same four animated films over and over then I'd think its cheaper to buy the DVDs. Disney Plus is what, $100/year? 

Just a bit strange that it seems to be such poor value for money compared to the rival services which have far more content. 

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In the US it's $6.99 a month or $69.99 for a whole year. Pretty good deal imo.

I did the $149 for three years Promo when it launched.  How can you beat $4 a month

• Like 1

Honestly I find myself watching Disney+ the most out of all the streaming services. Admittedly, it helps I know way too much pointless Disney trivia and I'm really only watching Simpsons and Phineas and Ferb at the moment, although I am very busy. But you can't beat that extensive animated catalog and the documentary shows Disney has put out about the company are catnip for a guy like me (Prop Culture and The Imagineering Story are must-watches for anybody into movies or theme parks).

I guess it also helps Disney+ is much more condensed compared to other streamers, and the way it divides into categories like Pixar and Marvel makes it way easier for me to pick something I want to watch. HBO Max also kind of has the same thing going on, and I honestly feel I can live with just those two services. Maybe Amazon for their originals too.

By comparison, I only watch Netflix whenever they put out a new original movie I'm interested in. And the last one that had my interest was the Eurovision movie (haven't seen much Kaufman and I was interested in Devil All the Time, but I've heard rough things about it from people here). Chicago 7 and Ma Rainey are very exciting to me though and I'll probably watch those. That Mank movie will likely also be good stuff. Oh yeah, and Glen Keane has that new animated movie. That should be fun.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

Honestly I find myself watching Disney+ the most out of all the streaming services. Admittedly, it helps I know way too much pointless Disney trivia and I'm really only watching Simpsons and Phineas and Ferb at the moment, although I am very busy. But you can't beat that extensive animated catalog and the documentary shows Disney has put out about the company are catnip for a guy like me (Prop Culture and The Imagineering Story are must-watches for anybody into movies or theme parks).

I guess it also helps Disney+ is much more condensed compared to other streamers, and the way it divides into categories like Pixar and Marvel makes it way easier for me to pick something I want to watch. HBO Max also kind of has the same thing going on, and I honestly feel I can live with just those two services. Maybe Amazon for their originals too.

By comparison, I only watch Netflix whenever they put out a new original movie I'm interested in. And the last one that had my interest was the Eurovision movie (haven't seen much Kaufman and I was interested in Devil All the Time, but I've heard rough things about it from people here). Chicago 7 and Ma Rainey are very exciting to me though and I'll probably watch those. That Mank movie will likely also be good stuff. Oh yeah, and Glen Keane has that new animated movie. That should be fun.

Speaking of which can we get threads for I'm Thinking of Ending Things and Enola Holmes (which lands tomorrow) in RTM please? Plan on checking them out soon.

The movies are really the only brand new things on Netflix that seem to be worth checking out these days (all the expensive showrunner deals are mostly delivering duds so far) but luckily they're about to put out a whole bunch of movies to look forward to. Definitely checking out The Boys in the Band, Trial of Chicago 7, Mank, Ma Rainey, The Prom, and Hillbilly Elegy of the ones confirmed to be released in 2020. 

8 hours ago, Eric #RIPChadwick said:

That's actually a fair point. Disney+ doesn't waste your time. I have watched a few things on it that I knew I wanted to watch.

Like in the early summer when the Mandalorian finally had released its finale, I bought a month of Disney+, I watched The Mandalorian, watched Clone Wars final season, and I rewatched all the Star Wars films. I was happy with that, I'd used the service for what I wanted to, and so then I unsubscribed. For £6 I got good value.

I guess when I think about how much money I've paid to Netflix, and how much time I've spent actually watching netflix compared to browsing Netflix, D+ was probably the better value for money. But I just don't get it as a continuous streaming service. But that's just me.

Incidentally, I've just added it all up and since I signed up in 2013 to Netflix, I must have paid approx £756. Not sure it's been worth it.

14 hours ago, Avatree said:

I don't know anyone who gets Disney+ for the original content. It's all about Simpsons/MCU/Star Wars/Pixar. If, like me, you used to spend hundreds of dollars a year on DVDs/Blu-rays for those franchises, then $6.99 a month is a pretty good deal. Especially as most of those have commentaries and other special features, too, which other streaming services don't offer

Captain Sir Tom Moore story to be made into movie

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54262116

The as-yet-untitled film will focus on the veteran's relationship with his younger family, who he moved in with following the death of his wife, Pamela.

Which actor might play him?

"I'm sure Michael Caine or Anthony Hopkins could do a wonderful job if they were prepared to age up" suggested Capt Sir Tom.

Lol, yeah I think they might be "busy", Captain.