Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

I had to do another five-minute video for my Understanding Technology Class.  This one was on innovations, and I decided to George Lucas and Star Wars.  Figured this would be the crowd for it.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Saw Liam Neeson's "Honest Thief". Honestly, it's pretty poorly-written, and there's hardly any action. Some of the dialogue and staging are film school level. Neeson is fine, and Jai Courtenay was fine (other than one awful scene) but it's definitely on the lowest end of Neeson actioners.

OTOH, Haunting of Hill House may be my favourite thing I've watched all year. 

• Astonished 1

And Paramount defies the curse, and greenlit a Cleopatra film with the Gal Gadot/Patty Jenkins team. 

Expected fuss over Gadot casting; that Cleo was 100% of Greek descent seem to go right over the heads of a lot of people. 

But you know Paramount execs are praying "Please,Please; don't let what happened with the making of the 1963 film happen to us". Although the 63 Cleo ended up breaking even, it brought Fox to the brink of bankruptcy while it was still filming; everything that could go wrong did in the filming. It is sort of the ultimate out of control movie horror story in Hollywood.

• Like 1

Speaking of feature films, one of 2019’s most-anticipated-for-all-the-wrong-reasons movies finally made its way to pay cable a few days ago when Cats debuted on HBO last Saturday. Critics, of course, hated the musical adaptation, and it was a box-office turd. But maybe TV viewers would be curious to see what all the (negative) fuss was about? Nope! Per Nielsen, just 279,000 viewers tuned in for HBO’s cable premiere of Cats, making it the least-watched Saturday movie debut on the network this year. Even Downhill, the blink-and-you-missed-it comedy flop from last February, did better, attracting 406,000 viewers a few weeks ago. This is where I’d insert some sort of witty Cats-related pun, but sadly, they were all used up when the movie bombed the first time.

https://www.vulture.com/2020/10/streaming-wars-news-networks.html

On 10/14/2020 at 9:44 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Great to see someone in the industry actually taking the initiative to get more women into the field instead of making performative actions and patting themselves in the back for it. 

She's very impressive. 

7 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The forum has a fraction of the active users it once had it seems, or are people just too busy battling for survival IRL? 

I noticed that too. I don't know what happened. I stayed away for a while after too many warning points for reasons I didn't agree. Came back for good when the Snyder Cut was announced, because I wanted haters to see me winning. But many were gone. I think maybe it was a combination of the pandemic (no box office, productions paused, and overall anxiety about life) and the mods in recent years implementing too many limitations and handing out too many warning points. Despite the way I've been treated I like the forum and I'm doing my part posting updates for the movies I'm following.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1