Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Thinking of all the segments of the entertainment industry that would kill for the tiniest slice of $2B right about now...

A lot of people in the business were saying the quick bites were really about skirting union minimums for half hour/hour long shows. Good riddance to that 

Six months. LOLOL. At least they won an Emmy? 

What's amazing is that this same crash-and-burn scenario probably would've happened regardless even in a pandemic-free 2020. What a monumental waste of time, talent, and money.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What's interesting is that the attacks all seem to fall under 'he bad', rather than actually picking something specific that they dislike. 

He and his ex wife abandoned their dog back in 2016. It showed up sick and dirty at a vets office. He’s scum and Always has been. Being a Trumpie is just icing on the cake. That is THE REASON I have always disliked him and will continue to dislike him. 

17 hours ago, filmlover said:

RIP officially, April-October 2020.

I still don't understand who they thought "basically premium Youtube but you can't watch them on your computer or your tv" would be for. The whole thing stank to high heaven even outside of what @BoxOfficeFangrl said about them using the format to sidestep union minimums.

Edited by cookie

Gonna do a minor amount of spamming here:

WHAT WILL BE THE *EXACT* RESULT OF THE 2020 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION?

First place is set to whoever comes closest to the exact electoral vote result of the election. Second and third place are those who are second or third closest.

If there are multiple people with the same result then:

First tiebreaker [if needed]: Tipping point state. (definition of the term linked for those unfamiliar)
Second tiebreaker [if needed]: National Popular Vote winner with margin of victory to one decimal point.
Third tiebreaker [if needed]: State with the closest margin of victory for either candidate (CD splits for Nebraska/Maine DO NOT COUNT - State margin ONLY!!!!).

Six and a half days left to get your entries in over in the thread (NOT HERE!!!!), folks!  

And, after all, who doesn't want a crack at a free Gold account? 

(Deadline is 11:59pm PDT, Oct 28th)

5 hours ago, cookie said:

I still don't understand who they thought "basically premium Youtube but you can't watch them on your computer or your tv" would be for. The whole thing stank to high heaven even outside of what @BoxOfficeFangrl said about them using the format to sidestep union minimums.

The Quibi audience was supposedly people commuting to work and waiting in line at the coffee shop or whatever. Even there hadn't been a pandemic, that ignores that many Americans actually drive themselves to work and can't (or shouldn't be) watching TV on their commute. That's what podcasts are for. If people just wanted to watch short videos on their phones, they already had YouTube for that. Then the whole "only available on phones, no screencaps allowed" stupidity. It's stunning how everyone else outside of Quibi knew it would fail even before it launched, yet they still persisted.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Quibi audience was supposedly people commuting to work and waiting in line at the coffee shop or whatever. Even there hadn't been a pandemic, that ignores that many Americans actually drive themselves to work and can't (or shouldn't be) watching TV on their commute. That's what podcasts are for. If people just wanted to watch short videos on their phones, they already had YouTube for that. Then the whole "only available on phones, no screencaps allowed" stupidity. It's stunning how everyone else outside of Quibi knew it would fail even before it launched, yet they still persisted.

Quibi: the Cats of streaming services.

• Haha 2

On 10/6/2020 at 3:03 PM, grim22 said:

Just got laid off thanks to Covid affecting my firm's economics. Headed into a very uncertain time now.

Happy to let everyone know I officially got an offer today. Now need to get the Visa transfer done before I start.

• Like 15

On 10/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, filmlover said:

What's amazing is that this same crash-and-burn scenario probably would've happened regardless even in a pandemic-free 2020. What a monumental waste of time, talent, and money.

Even witht the covid virus, for a 2 Billion dollar business to go belly up in such a short peroiod of time means there was some heavy duty stupidity involved.

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Any chance we could get an RTM thread for the Witches (2020)? For all 2 of us who saw it... (looking at you @Rorschach)

I am seeing it on the big screen when it opens here, as we great people of Europe watch our movies.

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

The situation in Europe is disastrous, especially Italy and France is dire

The advent of Colder weather is causing a huge upsurge in COvid numbers  in any courntry where Winter is coming in. This was predicted a long time ago and on one should be surprised.

• Haha 1

@CJohn Bem Me Quer had a woeful premiere. Way under expectations. Will be somewhere around 11% with VOSDAL. Quer o Destino did the same (and less in share) but coming off the flop of Na Corda Bamba, while this is coming off Quer o Destino itself. Even Amar Demais did 12%.

Big Brother with Teresa, another disappointment (and they announced a Desafio Final with Teresa and Cláudio together, LMAO). Even the Queen Cristina's new show is a flop in the afternoons, it loses to Júlia all the time.

SIC also has a few bombs too, like Noivo é Que Sabe aka Don't Tell The Bride (although that show does well on Sundays) and Golpe de Sorte. And now they bought Viver a Vida, an 11 year old Globo soap that will probably do nowhere near as well as Amor à Vida or Êta Mundo Bom. Everything is mad now.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Bem Me Quer had a woeful premiere. Way under expectations. Will be somewhere around 11% with VOSDAL. Quer o Destino did the same (and less in share) but coming off the flop of Na Corda Bamba, while this is coming off Quer o Destino itself. Even Amar Demais did 12%.

Big Brother with Teresa, another disappointment (and they announced a Desafio Final with Teresa and Cláudio together, LMAO). Even the Queen Cristina's new show is a flop in the afternoons, it loses to Júlia all the time.

SIC also has a few bombs too, like Noivo é Que Sabe aka Don't Tell The Bride (although that show does well on Sundays) and Golpe de Sorte. And now they bought Viver a Vida, an 11 year old Globo soap that will probably do nowhere near as well as Amor à Vida or Êta Mundo Bom. Everything is mad now.

The Sunday nights are a hot mess. Everyone is flopping except RTP with The Voice. It was able to lead one week ago!

I was expecting a bigger number for Bem Me Quer. Marketing seemed to be on point. Even RAP is slipping ratings wise for SIC. The last show barely did 20% share.

The new Big Brother is such an insane thing. Gonna tank so hard. Like people are gonna tune in for Claudio Ramos now. TVI wasted all that goodwill with the new BB.

Cristina losing a few weeks ago in the morning part of the show was such an event on itself. And Golpe de Sorte... ooof. Guess you cant go back to a big hit a year later.