Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

@CJohn Somos Portugal cancelled. No public will attend DWTS live. TVI announced a new Saturday show about... famous people getting their minds read. Big Brother won't have weekday primetime transmissions. Euro 2020 delayed to 2021.

It seems TVI was infected by coronavirus as well at this point.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn TVI just announced a coronavirus special from 10AM through all day for either tomorrow or Saturday.

Cofina did buy them after all. The nerve to take advantage of a global pandemic for easy ratings.

Costa just announced big measures. I am thrilled. We need this before we turn into another Italy or even Spain. 

Just went to the grocery store to do some last minute food shopping (since we're fully expecting to be told to work from home in the coming days) and so many empty shelves (but luckily, there was still plenty of toilet paper!). Honestly...this is usually what you see when a hurricane is coming this way so nothing too out of the ordinary there (only this time in March instead of August/September/October).

• Like 1

I actually thought, briefly, about pausing the Baseball 100 until baseball returns. I am NOT doing this — I realize this might bring up some bad memories of Baseball 100s that died in the past — but I did think about it because it just seems like there are so many other things to worry about, to think about, to do. I thoroughly understand that fewer people are going to have the time, will or interest in reading about old ballplayers.

But we’re going to keep going. In fact, we’re going to add something to it. We are going to do is slow down the pace of the Baseball 100s. That is to say instead of them appearing every … single … day (including weekends, man, what was I thinking?), they will now appear at The Athletic every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. By doing it this way, the final 13 (No. 14 will appear tomorrow) will last for four weeks, which I’m hoping will take it to right about the beginning of baseball.

But here’s the thing: In between the Baseball 100s, my plan is to write a different (hopefully shorter) essay every day about some random baseball player. And I do mean: RANDOM. Some will probably be great players who didn’t quite make the Baseball 100. Some will probably be not so great players who did something unusual. Some will probably be players who are entirely random, as if picked out of a barrel.

I say “probably,” because I’m not going to choose the players. You are. Well, you and some of my friends around the game will choose them … I’m taking requests. If you would like to make your request below in the comments, that’s great. If you want to email me with your requests, that’s good too. If you want to hire a skywriter to write the name in the sky, sure, go for it.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me here. Be well. Be prepared. Wash your hands. I now wash mine while humming the Final Jeopardy theme.

Oh, and try a Cosmic Crisp apple. They’re delicious.

:ohmygod: :ohmygod:  :ohmygod:  :ohmygod: 

MORE Pos stories between now and Opening Day (whenever that is)

@Plain Old Tele @4815162342 (@ whatever other baseball fans subscribe to The Athletic)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

13 hours ago, CJohn said:

Costa just announced big measures. I am thrilled. We need this before we turn into another Italy or even Spain. 

Yup. I'll be relieved from work after today for the new few weeks myself.

Unfortunately, people will mistake this quarantine for vacation and be idiots in beaches or supermarkets/shoppings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Somos Portugal cancelled. Dancing With The Stars cancelled (replaced with a Big Brother documentary). O Programa da Cristina cancelled. Júlia, Olhó Baião, Aqui Portugal... all cancelled.

The apocalypse is here.

End of times. BB2020 is apparently gonna get delayed as well. All live shows are cancelled. 

• Sad 1

Laughing so hard that Disney is dropping Frozen II on + this Sunday instead of waiting a couple of months after the home release like their plan is for their theatrical releases. I feel like we should rescind their win for Best Villain of 2019 just for the fact that King Mickey was clearly ahead of the curve in knowing that the world was about to lose its goddamn mind and decided to end the last year ever with the biggest and loudest bang possible.

Almost forgot Westworld was returning tomorrow night with all the insanity going on right now. Getting the weakest critical reception of the three seasons so far but I'm still intrigued. Gonna be the only thing happening on the buzz/pop culture front for a while.

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Almost forgot Westworld was returning tomorrow night with all the insanity going on right now. Getting the weakest critical reception of the three seasons so far but I'm still intrigued. Gonna be the only thing happening on the buzz/pop culture front for a while.

We can take comfort that the androids are unaffected by the coronavirus. 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:54 PM, Plain Old Tele said:

Speaking of which, there’s a really good article by Jayson Stark about the suspension of the season. 

It is going to be interesing to see ESPN and the other sports networks run around trying to find programming now that Sports are pretty much dead for the time being.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:51 PM, filmlover said:

Laughing so hard that Disney is dropping Frozen II on + this Sunday instead of waiting a couple of months after the home release like their plan is for their theatrical releases. I feel like we should rescind their win for Best Villain of 2019 just for the fact that King Mickey was clearly ahead of the curve in knowing that the world was about to lose its goddamn mind and decided to end the last year ever with the biggest and loudest bang possible.

Iger's timing was brilliant.....