Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

I still find it hilarious that the general consensus at Disney at the time of their productions was that Pocahontas was the prestige film and The Lion King was this other, lesser project they had going on.

I shared a long article last week in this thread about the troubled history behind Atlantis: The Lost Empire and how Disney had such massive hopes for it to change the course of their studio and how it all fell apart after the movie flopped. Same thing definitely applies to the following year's Treasure Planet, which was a far bigger bomb that basically killed their traditional animation studio at a time when the format was already being phased out by Pixar/DreamWorks. Curiously both of those were regular action movies coming after they spent the 90s making a fortune on fairy tale musicals. Eisner must've been worried that they were becoming too alienating to boys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I shared a long article last week in this thread about the troubled history behind Atlantis: The Lost Empire and how Disney had such massive hopes for it to change the course of their studio and how it all fell apart after the movie flopped. Same thing definitely applies to the following year's Treasure Planet, which was a far bigger bomb that basically killed their traditional animation studio at a time when the format was already being phased out by Pixar/DreamWorks. Curiously both of those were regular action movies coming after they spent the 90s making a fortune on fairy tale musicals. Eisner must've been worried that they were becoming too alienating to boys.

I don't remember renaissance movies being talked about as too girly at the time, that particular panic only happened a decade later with Princess and the Frog falling flat and then Disney trying to hide Tangled is a princess musical. It was more their post-TLK hits having diminishing returns and their success being old news next to PIXAR/DW breaking out. They had already started slowly phasing out the musical aspect with Mulan and Tarzan, and with Tarzan being their biggest hit since TLK and their most action oriented movie ever they probably thought going full on action adventure could be their new big thing. It wasn't sadly, because Treasure Planet was a gem. A bit ugly because of too much CGI but still a gem.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Disney's animated output through most of the 2000s - the first half of the decade in particular - is just weird. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Lilo & Stitch has such a big following among late millennial/early Gen Z kids considering it was the only unqualified success they had in the early '00s.

I guess that just makes it even weirder that I saw Atlantis theatrically in the summer of 2001, but didn't see Shrek until it hit video that November.

For those who haven't seen it yet, Blindspotting is currently free to rent on google play/itunes. it's one of the better "hidden" gems from 2018 that didn't get as much attention as it should when it first released.

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Blindspotting_2018?id=ei6cK5JtuNs.P

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/blindspotting/id1412263281

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not the whole reason (fatigue over the Renaissance formula didn't help), but there was a real push in the 2000s of Disney trying to target the boy demographic, because the Disney name and a lot of their franchises skewed more towards girls at the time. It's the reason why Disney XD was even created (love you Tele 😘). There were some hits (Pirates), some modest successes (Tron Legacy) and some failures (Prince of Persia), but nothing really stuck in the same way Disney Princesses did.

Then Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, because it's a lot easier to build a boy audience by buying stuff they already like. Honestly the right call for Disney in the end.

25 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

with all the controversies surrounding Kimmel/Fallon black faces, how is RDJ's character in Tropic Thunder perceived now? I think this is going too far and not addressing root of the issue. 

Outside of some dumbass 13 year olds, haven't really seen much backlash on RDJ. It's important to recognize that Tropic Thunder's blackface was a jab at method acting and people taking their roles too far, and I think 9 times out 10 people understand that. The Man Show and SNL...don't do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Baggins said:

Then Disney bought Marvel and Lucasfilm, because it's a lot easier to build a boy audience by buying stuff they already like. Honestly the right call for Disney in the end.

After all the money they've seen come in as the result of those purchases, it's safe to say Disney made more than just the right call. :lol:

1 hour ago, Eric Baggins said:

Outside of some dumbass 13 year olds, haven't really seen much backlash on RDJ. It's important to recognize that Tropic Thunder's blackface was a jab at method acting and people taking their roles too far, and I think 9 times out 10 people understand that. The Man Show and SNL...don't do that.

Some episodes of 30 Rock have also been pulled due to featuring blackface as well.

didn't know The Exorcist was the first film to dethrone Gone with the wind at the box office.

interesting how the blockbuster era that started in late 70s-90s is still ruling the box office until now, just with more superhero movies as the dominant franchises.

13 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

with all the controversies surrounding Kimmel/Fallon black faces, how is RDJ's character in Tropic Thunder perceived now? I think this is going too far and not addressing root of the issue. 

Some people become so popular and liked they sort of become impossibiel to be cancelled by some people on Twitter. RDJ is well loved and his character of Tony Stark and Iron Man makes him one of the most popular actors of recent times.

Also RDJ says he walked a very fine line but he has no regrets but likely could not get away with it now. 

Also RDJ blackface in Tropic Thunder was more done to mock the whole idea of doing blackface at all. You remember this scene? I think this shows the blackface was not done in an offensive way at all. 

Its an Iconic role as he got nominated for an Academy Award for it. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

12 hours ago, cannastop said:

I hadn't even heard of this so I guess it really was nothing.

It's NASCAR...I'd never heard of the guy before this...so plus 2 for why you could have missed it:)...

And now I can go back to golf, my preferred actually-being-played pandemic sport:)...

4 hours ago, RealLyre said:

didn't know The Exorcist was the first film to dethrone Gone with the wind at the box office.

interesting how the blockbuster era that started in late 70s-90s is still ruling the box office until now, just with more superhero movies as the dominant franchises.

It’s very neat to watch... but also I feel it needs a few caveats: a bunch of the older hits got their final gross through multiple releases, which aren’t represented here. And it feels a bit dubious to go off worldwide grosses when that’s almost impossible to find for older movies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1