Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Lol, are those actual examples of blockbusters that don't restrict themselves?

No but you guys are saying that Blockbuster on their own don't allow filmmakers to do what they want. Which is true.

However having a narrative that stretches over many other films and having a huge budget and a great host of characters can allow you to do something even more grand.

So what I'm saying is Blockbuster filmmaking isnt always a negative to making a good film.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

No but you guys are saying that Blockbuster on their own don't allow filmmakers to do what they want. Which is true.

However having a narrative that stretches over many other films and having a huge budget and a great host of characters can allow you to do something even more grand.

So what I'm saying is Blockbuster filmmaking isnt always a negative to making a good film.

Idk, if I was gonna think of a blockbuster budget film that doesn't restrict itself in terms of grandness, I'd think of a Wachowskis film or something which are also proof that being epic and having a unique vision don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Should have worded that a bit differently. Of course the politics of the times influence the movies of that day. "Cancel culture" is one thing (Aliens for an example is deemed offensive in the UK now), but it is also about the government dictating what movies should be made by funding certain type of movies, which is happening here in Sweden. Our hippie minister of culture has explicitly stated that movies that deal with race, identity politics etc. are more likely to get funding. So if you are a young filmmaker and trying to get your first picture made, you are incentivized to make a certain type of film, when maybe you could have made the next Blood Simple instead.

I think if you've got vision enough to make the next Blood Simple, you should have the ability to make it without studio or government help. The Coens didn't become the Coens by being cultural go-with-the-flow types, and good twisty genre stories never go out of style. Hell, if you're savvy enough you can probably sell Blood Simple to that culture minister of yours by pitching it as a movie about how stupid and prone to needlessly wreaking havoc white people are. Beyond that, I don't see how that government funding situation concerns Hollywood and its own system. I think a far bigger and more universal problem with movies today is their ever-growing contentification, with great, idiosyncratic work - made by all kinds of people - getting pushed closer and closer to the margins. But it still gets made and recognized, and it's not like this is remotely a new problem either. 

7 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Also, y'all mentioned Chazzelle, and yeah the kid's got talent. But the 90s brought us the Coens, Fincher, Soderbergh, Tarantino and PTA. Check out the top 100 of the 10s thing that @Jake Gittes did (my ass is still beautiful, btw) and half of the movies in the top 20 are average at best.

And the 2010s brought us (beyond Chazelle) the Safdies, Eggers, Lanthimos, Bonello, Peele, Granik, Jenkins, Gerwig, Aster, Sean Baker, Mike Mills, Jennifer Kent, David Robert Mitchell... sure, not a crop that made as much mainstream impact as the '90s one (which, again, has a lot to do with a lack of industry support and thus visibility), but strong enough if you were a cinephile coming of age in the past decade. Besides, all those filmmakers you mention are still active and relevant and true to themselves (whereas e.g. out of the big '70s directors, arguably only Scorsese and Spielberg still consistently produced major work in the '90s), so there's no real urge for anyone to take their place.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Yeah, make a collection of huge budget network TV episodes that play in theaters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

also happy 23rd to a movie that for whatever reason Disney decided to let finish at 99m domestically instead of pushing it to 100m 

hercules_ver2.jpg

They did at least make an effort by bringing it back into wide release in September, when its total was in the low 90s. However, they were also working at pushing George of the Jungle past $100 million at the same time (and I remember the two films playing on the same screen at one of my local theaters that weekend). The weekend tracking for it on BOM ends after the September 12 weekend, so it’s unclear when exactly they gave up on pushing it over the top.

• Like 1

Serious question, will Tina and Linda Belcher need to be recast, due to the fact that they’re voiced by men, despite being female? I’m not trying to be facetious here. I’m honestly wondering if people believe that something should be done about that. 

12 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Yeah, but I hear Song of Susannah sucks. And I really want to find out about that Crimson King guy.

You’re five books in. Read the dang sixth book and decide for yourself. 😂 Besides, who’s to say there’s tons of Crimson King explanation in The Dark Tower?

4 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

You’re five books in. Read the dang sixth book and decide for yourself. 😂 Besides, who’s to say there’s tons of Crimson King explanation in The Dark Tower?

There isn't? Oh please don't tell me that the Crimson King, Randall Flagg and Walter are all the same fucking "person"??!

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:42 PM, Brainbug said:

Fun Facts from Germany to lighten the mood a bit (albeit in a more black humour way):

Since 2006 (!), Berlin is building a new airport (BER) to replace the old Berlin airport, Tegel. Originally, that new airport should have been opened in 2011. But numerous technical issues prevented the opening, including a non-functional fire warning system and imploding (!) air handlers. Then it should have opened in 2012, but until that point, the fire warning system still didnt work at all and furthermore, the ceiling of the airport appeared to be instable and the whole construction plan had to be reworked. Since atleast then, the project has become a meme and a running joke in Germany. Some people supported the idea to just build a new Berlin around the airport; it may be less costly.

In 2019, reports came to light that the airport may finally open in Spring of 2020. That got delayed again to the autumn of 2020 where the airpoirt is now officially schedulded to open.

But it may face the difficulty now that ... well ... there are not many planes flying around right now and the situation may be not much better in autumn. So ...

Fail.

I wonder which will open first. The new Berlin Airport or the new Western Sydney Airport. 

• Like 2

On 6/27/2020 at 8:01 PM, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah, make a collection of huge budget network TV episodes that play in theaters.

that's exactly what the MCU is lol, the crossovers work better if you've seen the other episodes in each saga.

idk why people view that as a negative thing, (besides those who look down on TV as an inferior medium).

• Like 2