Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 7/25/2020 at 8:59 PM, FantasticBeasts said:

Folklore is very good. A bit long but I really liked it. Exile is the best track for me, closely followed by Seven.

Jack Antonoff hardly ever disapoints, although I think that his peak was on Norman Fuckin Rockwell. 

It still amazes me how great an album Lana put out.

Listened to a couple of tracks because Aaron Dessner from The National was involved in this but it just sounded like to most generic alternative music to me. The Bon Iver song in this was also pretty disappointing (I guess it was my mistake for expecting it to sound more like a Bon Iver song). 

And I'd say Jack Antonoff's peak is still Melodrama. Nothing he's worked on since then has reached that level imo. 

13 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Listened to a couple of tracks because Aaron Dessner from The National was involved in this but it just sounded like to most generic alternative music to me. The Bon Iver song in this was also pretty disappointing (I guess it was my mistake for expecting it to sound more like a Bon Iver song). 

And I'd say Jack Antonoff's peak is still Melodrama. Nothing he's worked on since then has reached that level imo. 

It's a very tough and close call for me. Melodrama is obviously a masteripiece but NFR is like more of my thing.

Maybe you are kind of right given that in terms of production I still think Melodrama is superior.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The French Dispatch won't be releasing this year I think.

Yeah, it's going to 2021. Anderson's last few movies have done well at the box office and they want this to reach its financial potential, which it wouldn't in the current state of the world (he also doesn't seem like the kind of director that would be on board with a streaming release either).

10 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, it's going to 2021. Anderson's last few movies have done well at the box office and they want this to reach its financial potential, which it wouldn't in the current state of the world (he also doesn't seem like the kind of director that would be on board with a streaming release either).

yeah I think it might screen on TIFF but they ll probably hold on to it after that until theaters are open in the US and searchlight wants this to be an awards movie , but the movie cost 25M to make, so I think it can do well financially on VOD if they decide to go that route

Edited by RealLyre

4 hours ago, Jack Nevada said:

So I guess I'm a journalist now. I interned at my university's radio station from January to May and now I got my first paid gig writing a feature for the new student paper. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Excellent!

If you don't know what you're doing, but if you have free reign on the topics you can cover, write about what you know.  You're best writing always happens when you feel comfortable with what you're writing about:).

Speaking of writing, I don't know if anyone does tabletop roleplaying here, or enjoys some comics fun...

But, I personally know a new young female author and female artist who put out a new roleplaying supplement for the ICONS roleplaying game.  Even if you don't roleplay, it's a pretty easy, breezy, fun read about supers writing their dating app profiles vs what their reality is - aka, the perfect brain break from all of 2020.  And, if you don't care about any of that, but want to buy it for just $8 to make them really, really happy...well, I won't stop any of you:)...

Here's their preview and the link to buy the book, Firestarters: A collection of partners in crime.

"Firestarters is the hot new dating app used by every superhuman on the market.
With revolutionary features and functions accommodating both the good and the evil, anyone can find their partner in crime. Arson for two is just a swipe away.

In this book, you'll find:

- Romantic information and dating profiles.
- Fifteen fully fleshed out characters.
- Eighteen adventure starters.
- Thirty-two pieces of art done by flooper69.
- Fifty-nine pages of fun!

What are you waiting for? Swipe right to begin."

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/321325/Firestarters--A-Collection-of-Partners-in-Crime

PS - And who knows?  If you buy the book, you may actually wanna give tabletop roleplay a try (the main rule book for this game is only $15 extra:).  It's one of the best virtual social gaming experiences possible in Covid land, and this is a gateway "easy" game for the genre:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

And the death of the last surviving star of the GOlden age of Hollywood gets little response here. Should not be surprised.

De Haviland's greatest impact on Hollywood was not from her many memorable roles..she is probably as well known for her costarring roles with Errol Flynn as for GWTW..Not to mention her Oscar wins....but for her lawsuit against Warners,   which ended in "The De Haviland decision) which  destroyed "the reserve clause" in Hollywood contracts which could tie an actor to a studio for life.

And just actors own a lot to Olivia. Every professional Athelte owes her a big one, since the De Haviland decision was the main citation made by his lawyers when Curt Flood destroyed the Reserve Clause in Professional sports in the early 70's. RIP.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What a fucking disgusting piece of shit.

Also just want to mention that Any Seimetz's (the "ex-girlfriend") is an accomplished filmmaker and actor and her new movie releasing this weekend is She Dies Tomorrow. Give it a look if you haven't.

This is fucked up. I used to be a huge Carruth fan, sad to hear he's such a despicable monster in real life. 

• Sad 1