Jump to content
Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread | Black Lives Matter

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Cap said:

We’re gonna show 42 on the Zoom Showing tomorrow as a Memorial for those who are also in shock and want somewhere to share in their grief. 3PM EST. 

Rewatched 42 about 4 days ago. I don't even know why, it just caught my eye as I was looking through Amazon Prime Video and I just felt like I needed to rewatch it. What a great performance. Truly an inspiring man, given what he accomplished while battling this. He will be sorely missed. :( 

 

2020 can go fuck itself, but there's still 4 months to go and I'm afraid to even contemplate the possibilities...

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m watching Black Panther right now and it feels so sad and hard to watch it after what happened 😔😔😔

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on another forum and people just started talking about him without any context...damn.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't comment more yesterday b/c I got some sucky cancer news of my own (I found out I have all the markers of the quick progression, less treatable CLL, and with a missing 17 chromosome and p53 protein and a 2nd swapped set, well, in laymen's terms, a lot of treatments, like all regular chemo, are now out)...although my news, while bad, was nothing like this...

 

But I think I do want to thank all you folks for commenting about how he lived his life with cancer and left his legacy.  That's actually gonna go up on my wall.  My cancer is one that encourages one to squirrel away and forget to live, b/c random illness can be so devastating...but if someone else can literally be a superhero on screen and off, and still be the light of his own family...well, who am I (only a year younger) to not give it a go.  If I have 1/2 the faith and strength he did, well, I can't fail...

  • Like 31
  • Astonished 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the only time I think "How will Marvel continue?" is a reasonable question to ask right now. Black Panther and T'Challa means the world to so many, not only us black folk. Some people think stopping would be a sign of respect, but to take away a storyline of powerful blackness because the actor died?

 

I'm not wanting to speak for the dead, but as the statement by his team said, "It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.", and we shouldn't let that die with him.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck you, 2020. And fuck cancer. This is the biggest heartbreaking sudden death in probably the history of Hollywood. Or at least modern history. On a cultural level this is much sadder than Heath Ledger, Anton Yelchin, or Paul Walker. I think this even trounces Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Boseman filming his Marvel work while undergoing treatment for Stage 3 cancer (on top of his other incredible work) makes Boseman one of the ultimate forever Hollywood legends. Rest In Peace, forever.

 

5 minutes ago, Morieris said:

This is the only time I think "How will Marvel continue?" is a reasonable question to ask right now. Black Panther and T'Challa means the world to so many, not only us black folk. Some people think stopping would be a sign of respect, but to take away a storyline of powerful blackness because the actor died?

 

I'm not wanting to speak for the dead, but as the statement by his team said, "It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.", and we shouldn't let that die with him.

 The show must go on, and will go on. After several years of mourning. I can’t imagine Boseman would have wanted this legacy of his to end with him.


T’challa will not be recast though. Marvel should continue with the excellent cast and characters already assembled. Front and center should be Lupita Nyong’o and/or Winston Duke.


The best way to honor the King is to continue the story of his country.

  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Morieris said:

This is the only time I think "How will Marvel continue?" is a reasonable question to ask right now. Black Panther and T'Challa means the world to so many, not only us black folk. Some people think stopping would be a sign of respect, but to take away a storyline of powerful blackness because the actor died?

 

I'm not wanting to speak for the dead, but as the statement by his team said, "It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.", and we shouldn't let that die with him.

I subscribe to the idea that BP2 not being an immediate rush for Marvel despite the original's success shows there was clearly full disclosure behind the scenes.

The question is whether they recast the character or pass on the baton. Given the fact that Black Panther is a mantle passed on from generation to generation is clearly an easy way to go. They could always wave some magic around and have Michael B Jordan come back (they buried him in a very Vibranium-rich area, and bla bla it seeped into his body, etc) - have his redemption journey be the story for the second one. A short CG scene of Chadwick in the Astral Plane to address his passing... I would go for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Morieris said:

This is the only time I think "How will Marvel continue?" is a reasonable question to ask right now. Black Panther and T'Challa means the world to so many, not only us black folk. Some people think stopping would be a sign of respect, but to take away a storyline of powerful blackness because the actor died?

 

I'm not wanting to speak for the dead, but as the statement by his team said, "It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.", and we shouldn't let that die with him.

I'm sure whatever direction they decide to go in, it will be something exciting and respectful to his legacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I didn't comment more yesterday b/c I got some sucky cancer news of my own (I found out I have all the markers of the quick progression, less treatable CLL, and with a missing 17 chromosome and p53 protein and a 2nd swapped set, well, in laymen's terms, a lot of treatments, like all regular chemo, are now out)...although my news, while bad, was nothing like this...

 

But I think I do want to thank all you folks for commenting about how he lived his life with cancer and left his legacy.  That's actually gonna go up on my wall.  My cancer is one that encourages one to squirrel away and forget to live, b/c random illness can be so devastating...but if someone else can literally be a superhero on screen and off, and still be the light of his own family...well, who am I (only a year younger) to not give it a go.  If I have 1/2 the faith and strength he did, well, I can't fail...


Much love to you and your family. Sending you all our prayers and best wishes. 🙏

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Felt it was a better time to talk about Black Panther 2 again after the initial shock was over, so the thread has been reopened. Please remember to stay respectful.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

I didn't comment more yesterday b/c I got some sucky cancer news of my own (I found out I have all the markers of the quick progression, less treatable CLL, and with a missing 17 chromosome and p53 protein and a 2nd swapped set, well, in laymen's terms, a lot of treatments, like all regular chemo, are now out)...although my news, while bad, was nothing like this...

 

But I think I do want to thank all you folks for commenting about how he lived his life with cancer and left his legacy.  That's actually gonna go up on my wall.  My cancer is one that encourages one to squirrel away and forget to live, b/c random illness can be so devastating...but if someone else can literally be a superhero on screen and off, and still be the light of his own family...well, who am I (only a year younger) to not give it a go.  If I have 1/2 the faith and strength he did, well, I can't fail...

My thoughts are with you and your family. If its not too obstrusive to ask, how old are roughly your children?

On my side of the family nearly all of the many who died died either of cancer, or as the result of traffic accidents (including in a way a not secured, thickly iced over sidewalk at the exit of a governmental building, that case‘s main reason was ~ a bad hospital), not one caused by the deceased.

Of the few still living, my (younger) brother did get through an agressive one last winter, looks good for the moment beside him reacting badly to the treatment, they had to abort it after only ~ 1/4 (quarter) to 1/3 (a third of) of the planed time/length. I absolutely hate cancer!

I think his way to still go e.g. to visit sick children..., to still create, work, support others,... is a good way to focus on the positive sides, and I strongly believe if there was a chance it would have helped and will help in other cases.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

My thoughts are with you and your family. If its not too obstrusive to ask, how old are roughly your children?

On my side of the family nearly all of the many who died died either of cancer, or as the result of traffic accidents (including in a way a not secured, thickly iced over sidewalk at the exit of a governmental building, that case‘s main reason was ~ a bad hospital), not one caused by the deceased.

Of the few still living, my (younger) brother did get through an agressive one last winter, looks good for the moment beside him reacting badly to the treatment, they had to abort it after only ~ 1/4 (quarter) to 1/3 (a third of) of the planed time/length. I absolutely hate cancer!

I think his way to still go e.g. to visit sick children..., to still create, work, support others,... is a good way to focus on the positive sides, and I strongly believe if there was a chance it would have helped and will help in other cases.

8 to 17...so thankfully, they all know how to not be germ bombs right now...and the older 3 (especially the older 2) can be very helpful when asked:)...the youngest still doesn't really get it, but we don't want him to, unless it's necessary:)...

 

We are working to get the oldest her license (test on Oct 5), so if in the very rare case, my health declines soon (which we don't expect - not the docs, not me:), my spouse can focus on my doc/health needs while the oldest can handle any small drives that might be needed (like to the grocery or Subway for a dinner)...it's our number #1 fall goal - and the #2 is to get the college apps out for her, too...if I get that done, and stay healthy, my fall will be a success:)...(she's at the SAT this morning, and I'm so thankful after all the hiccups, that finally happened b/c she can't apply for her major of Forensic Science without a score, let alone apply to the colleges:)...

 

EDIT TO ADD: And not being able to do regular chemo might actually be a total blessing in disguise.  It will help me focus on staying healthy now and pushing off treatment, and my parents both sucked on chemo (with no remissions and dying within 17  months at 53 and 7 months at 69 of their cancer diagnoses) and it had almost no effect but to kill them (I actually wonder if they had the same chromosomal/protein issues, but no one looks when your cancer is not leukemia).  So, it's like good bad news.  I was leery of regular chemo, and now it's not even something I have to decide on and worry that I'm making the wrong call...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t been on here for months for personal reasons but this news about Chadwick just gutted me. Really hit home hard. If anyone personally knows someone who’s battling cancer you’ll know that each day is a complete curve ball and you never know what to expect. And that’s from watching on the sidelines and not being the person actually battling such a cruel disease. I can’t help but think how he was fighting this battle without any of us knowing while also giving us so many roles that we’ve come to love. My thoughts are with his family. Cancer can get fucked and take 2020 along for a ride with it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

8 to 17...so thankfully, they all know how to not be germ bombs right now...and the older 3 (especially the older 2) can be very helpful when asked:)...the youngest still doesn't really get it, but we don't want him to, unless it's necessary:)...

 

We are working to get the oldest her license (test on Oct 5), so if in the very rare case, my health declines soon (which we don't expect - not the docs, not me:), my spouse can focus on my doc/health needs while the oldest can handle any small drives that might be needed (like to the grocery or Subway for a dinner)...it's our number #1 fall goal - and the #2 is to get the college apps out for her, too...if I get that done, and stay healthy, my fall will be a success:)...(she's at the SAT this morning, and I'm so thankful after all the hiccups, that finally happened b/c she can't apply for her major of Forensic Science without a score, let alone apply to the colleges:)...

Its good some are already in that age range I think, especially for the younger ones there will be a continuous group of people present, that does help in the cases I know with similar ages (not my family). In too many of the cases the oldest’ needs to get some love, words, support... true one on one time too got missed for a while, especially if they are strong people.

Maybe look for a self help group of families supporting mentally each other (like families of AA going people?), or youth specialized therapists who might be able to give advice on what to look out for for all of them, and how to approach the situations (as they are changing details, I chose the multiplier version), for all of your kids per age, and your partner, who will need some coping mechanisms for himself, but also how to support the kids per age. Same counts for you, its not only to have the strengths to fight it. Take every support, so you all can focus on the mental side too, as that in turn will help later on with the strength to continue the fight.

No matter how it develops, a lengthy time of insecurity about the outcome alone can have ling lasting impact. As in decades long, some of them not getting obvious for some or even many years. Again, especially counting for the strong ones, as they themselves, but also all the others, do not start early enough to cope, accept the feelings, the need to let it out too in their own ways.

Spoiler

 

In addition, not meaning in the way like making them to the new parent, ... but to teach them early what I call live skills can also be important, especia;;y later on too, but also to help them understanding why it might be important to start now to look for a money saving thing, how to avoid the not really needed things, to train them for the future.

 

Like e.g. how to do taxes, but not letting them do yours, how to read the small prints in bank or insurance papers, what it means to give someone else a co-signature access, and what can happen in the worst of the cases if doing so (as in never to do so), how to secure their identity, the credit scores, and so on. How to have a more healthy way to secure e.g. digital communication, equipment, so no one can steel details out of a stolen or ‘borrowed’ phone, including in part even social security details and worse. E.g. roomies later on, colleagues,... too. E.g. getting a pin at taxes, having that and the social security in a bank deposit box might be a good thing if sharing a home with roomies, even if the door of a room is locked. 

 

No matter the gender, to be able to cook healthy, but also on the cheap, how to .... how to keep a kind of book keeping the household thingie, what and when bills to expect, how to pay them.... why to built up how much for what (e.g. water heater,...) reserves to be never touched, not seen as ~ useable earliest on. How using baking soda... is usually cheaper than... cooking cheaper than.,, if done ... I am pretty sure you do that already, but to give that also to the youngest ones, those too often get not all of the knowledge, as the older ones do help already in the reality.

I’ve seen it way too often how young adults get into financial trouble because no one trained them in a realistic way, the parents did it too long, in a way made them dependent instead of independent. And to teach them to not be too proud  to ask for help at the right places, or waiting too long doing so, based on thinking its too stressful for e.g. you. Children of sick parents or siblings tend to wait later on too long, as they are used to take a step back. The balance between being patient, but also being on their feet about their own well-being is a difficult one to gain.

 

 

Not meant as being pushy, or... probably the most or all you already considered, but just in case maybe a little point added in a detail to your own thoughts might help a little bit, you have a lot to think and remember in addition to all the new details to work through to help to support your strength, like a maybe changed diet or whatever the doctors tell, and your mentioned driving, newly to balance schedules... hence the ide to write this post. Please no ‘oil’-based therapy out of the Internet! 

Best of luck, stay strong, hugs to all of you!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Morieris said:

This is the only time I think "How will Marvel continue?" is a reasonable question to ask right now. Black Panther and T'Challa means the world to so many, not only us black folk. Some people think stopping would be a sign of respect, but to take away a storyline of powerful blackness because the actor died?

 

I'm not wanting to speak for the dead, but as the statement by his team said, "It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.", and we shouldn't let that die with him.

From a sheer business point of view, Marvel just lost the biggest tentpole they had for the post Infinity Wars universe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Get On Up this evening for the first time and witnessing Boseman's excellent performance really hit home how much of a loss this man will be for the industry for his acting talent alone. He effortlessly exuded the qualities necessary for a leading man throughout his career, but I really think he was capable of delivering a wide range of performances, some of which would counter those traits and display his versatility.

Spike Lee posted a few scenes from Da 5 Bloods featuring Boseman on his Instagram profile and there was one in particular that, upon re-watch, was hard to get through without tearing up. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gadd said:

Watched Get On Up this evening for the first time and witnessing Boseman's excellent performance really hit home how much of a loss this man will be for the industry for his acting talent alone. He effortlessly exuded the qualities necessary for a leading man throughout his career, but I really think he was capable of delivering a wide range of performances, some of which would counter those traits and display his versatility.

Spike Lee posted a few scenes from Da 5 Bloods featuring Boseman on his Instagram profile and there was one in particular that, upon re-watch, was hard to get through without tearing up. 

He was tremendous in Get On Up. Nelsan Ellis was great in it too. So sad that they're both no longer with us now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.