Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

25 minutes ago, Harry Poppins said:

He 'accidently' uploaded content which happened to have his large penis in the camera roll. Conveniently these accidents are rare and only seem to occur to well endowed males

I am old enough to have encountered similar situations even in pre social media times that where absolute accidental, not everyone does that on purpose. No matter the size. The ones I doubted it being accidental are usually more prone to want being seen (in the other meaning) than he seems to be. He seems to be missing the extra ‚need‘ some of the other people in the public awareness or the wish for that show.

• Like 3

Anyway, for those that didn't click the link or are just surfing headlines, no, microscopic life hasn't been found on Venus.  Instead it's the more classic "Huh, that's odd" that presages scientific discoveries far more than "eureka".

Phosphine has been discovered in the high atmosphere of Venus.  According to the folks I've been reading today and late last night, on Earth we only know of it existing because of organic processes or made in a laboratory.  But places outside of Earth can be weird, as seen in this tweet thread:

And this tweet thread [which talks about how phosphine can be made in gas giants]:

Still, provisos aside, this IS an exciting news story.  It's a real potential sign of life outside of this rock.  And it would also suggest that if microscopic life can exist on a hell world like Venus (though admittedly not in the hell world section) then the universe is probably teeming with microscopic life.  Which raises a ton of interesting questions.  

Took a look at Phil Plait and he seems to have struck the right tone here.

Won't quote the tweet chain this time, but I recommend folks check it out.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Anyway, for those that didn't click the link or are just surfing headlines, no, microscopic life hasn't been found on Venus.  Instead it's the more classic "Huh, that's odd" that presages scientific discoveries far more than "eureka".

Phosphine has been discovered in the high atmosphere of Venus.  According to the folks I've been reading today and late last night, on Earth we only know of it existing because of organic processes or made in a laboratory.  But places outside of Earth can be weird, as seen in this tweet thread:

And this tweet thread [which talks about how phosphine can be made in gas giants]:

Still, provisos aside, this IS an exciting news story.  It's a real potential sign of life outside of this rock.  And it would also suggest that if microscopic life can exist on a hell world like Venus (though admittedly not in the hell world section) then the universe is probably teeming with microscopic life.  Which raises a ton of interesting questions.  

Took a look at Phil Plait and he seems to have struck the right tone here.

Won't quote the tweet chain this time, but I recommend folks check it out.

• Like 1