Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

@CJohn Well, I'll be damned, TVI got a little win on Monday............... and by that, I mean that Amar Depois de Amar did more than 9% rating. That's it. :hahaha:  But hey, it did start after Golpe de Sorte and end before it, AND there were still some São João festivities going on, AND it was a pretty hot Summer night. So that's not too bad. Prisioneira started directly after it and less than an hour later, and barely cracked 7% rating. Surely the new Vidas Opostas, at this point. So ADdA's result should be somewhat commended.

That being said, it still got its ass kicked by Golpe de Sorte, as did TVI in general. At this point, it's pretty clear that Golpe de Sorte is no Dancin' Days, though. Which is a bit of a disappointment after what I think was one of the greatest marketing campaigns in Portuguese television history. It does Valor da Vida numbers. That's it. Maybe a little worse, even. However, Golpe de Sorte was also the replacement to two mega flops, while Valor da Vida was the replacement to a bunch of mega hits. While I would consider Valor a, at best, moderate hit that bordered on being a flop, I would unquestionably call Golpe a hit. There is definitely merit in Golpe's success and I think SIC is only gonna look further and higher from September onwards.

Also, I swear to God I don't get The Farmer Wants A Wife, but my fucking Goodness, this show just KEEPS ON TROTTING ALONG LIKE A MONSTER. 8.5% rating and over 25% share at 7PM in June. That's INSANE. And just last week, it was doing, like, 9.5% rating and 27% share. This is like Portugal TV's Aladdin: a fucking behemoth that I cannot wrap my head around. Last year, SIC was doing about 8.5% share in the same period.

And btw, SIC with another bombshell: there's a new entertainment show with António Raminhos and a musician pulling a Smart Face (Sabe ou Não Sabe) on unsuspecting civilians coming. On top of the Cristina Ferreira gameshow, the Manzarra children/family show, the celebrities meet cute animals show, the new season of Comedy On The Edge and the two soap operas that will be a Espírito Indomável rip-off and a riff on the Pedrógão wildfires respectively. SIC: they will own the fucking country by the end of the year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JB33 said:

Re: Big Little Lies, it's a very good show but damn, do I hate all but one of the Monterrey Five. Well, Celeste is alright. I only like Jane. I hate it because I LOVE Reese Witherspoon. It kills me to see her play a character I absolutely despise.

Laura Dern's character? I literally feel myself getting heated just seeing her on screen. The depiction of that section of society makes me want to throw up. I know it's written and acted that way exactly for that effect though, which is a credit to all involved.

I'm not even gonna front.  When Renata was like, "I WILL NOT NOT BE RICH" I lost my mind.  Which makes me think of this bit (put undercut due to image heavy)

Spoiler

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o1_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o2_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o3_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o4_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o5_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o7_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o6_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o8_540.png

tumblr_pera7x5S1u1tpri36o9_540.png

And that post makes me think of this:

Spoiler

tumblr_por2u3DWKe1ruhudc_540.jpg

tumblr_por2u3ezv31ruhudc_540.jpg

tumblr_por2u4QfQX1ruhudc_540.jpg

which I still think is the most accurate and most hysterical things I've seen this year.

• Haha 1

The cashier at the pizza place asked what my name was and said I come every day. I told her my name and she told me hers. I wonder if she was hitting on me. Anyways, I left her a tip, which I don't normally do. There aren't any waiters at this place, so no tips.

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@CJohn Well, I'll be damned, TVI got a little win on Monday............... and by that, I mean that Amar Depois de Amar did more than 9% rating. That's it. :hahaha:  But hey, it did start after Golpe de Sorte and end before it, AND there were still some São João festivities going on, AND it was a pretty hot Summer night. So that's not too bad. Prisioneira started directly after it and less than an hour later, and barely cracked 7% rating. Surely the new Vidas Opostas, at this point. So ADdA's result should be somewhat commended.

That being said, it still got its ass kicked by Golpe de Sorte, as did TVI in general. At this point, it's pretty clear that Golpe de Sorte is no Dancin' Days, though. Which is a bit of a disappointment after what I think was one of the greatest marketing campaigns in Portuguese television history. It does Valor da Vida numbers. That's it. Maybe a little worse, even. However, Golpe de Sorte was also the replacement to two mega flops, while Valor da Vida was the replacement to a bunch of mega hits. While I would consider Valor a, at best, moderate hit that bordered on being a flop, I would unquestionably call Golpe a hit. There is definitely merit in Golpe's success and I think SIC is only gonna look further and higher from September onwards.

Also, I swear to God I don't get The Farmer Wants A Wife, but my fucking Goodness, this show just KEEPS ON TROTTING ALONG LIKE A MONSTER. 8.5% rating and over 25% share at 7PM in June. That's INSANE. And just last week, it was doing, like, 9.5% rating and 27% share. This is like Portugal TV's Aladdin: a fucking behemoth that I cannot wrap my head around. Last year, SIC was doing about 8.5% share in the same period.

And btw, SIC with another bombshell: there's a new entertainment show with António Raminhos and a musician pulling a Smart Face (Sabe ou Não Sabe) on unsuspecting civilians coming. On top of the Cristina Ferreira gameshow, the Manzarra children/family show, the celebrities meet cute animals show, the new season of Comedy On The Edge and the two soap operas that will be a Espírito Indomável rip-off and a riff on the Pedrógão wildfires respectively. SIC: they will own the fucking country by the end of the year.

The Manzarra and Raminhos shows will bomb but the rest will be big enough to ensure SIC has an easy path to victory until the end of the year.

The Farmer Wants a Wife is a phenom. Everyone is talking about it, it is the new hot sensation of Portuguese television.

Just went straight from the Tracking thread to the A/EG Admissions thread.

It was like moving from lazing about on a sunny beach with a cool ocean breeze or strolling through a forest path with a soft ray of sunlight splashing on the face to then jumping straight into the sulphuric, acidic clouds of Venus and the blazing inferno like temperatures smashing one upside the head.

Both threads are theoretically about numbers, but gotta say Carl Sagan and his "Heaven and Hell" episode about Venus from Cosmos ain't got noting on THAT contrast in experience! 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Just went straight from the Tracking thread to the A/EG Admissions thread.

It was like moving from lazing about on a sunny beach with a cool ocean breeze or strolling through a forest path with a soft ray of sunlight splashing on the face to then jumping straight into the sulphuric, acidic clouds of Venus and the blazing inferno like temperatures smashing one upside the head.

Both threads are theoretically about numbers, but gotta say Carl Sagan and his "Heaven and Hell" episode about Venus from Cosmos ain't got noting on THAT contrast in experience! 

My conspiracy theory is that a certain group of posters that harp about only one certain film are plants sent here by the moderators just to keep traffic going on this site and to keep specific threads alive

Spoiler

:hahaha: obviously joking

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, 75Live said:

My conspiracy theory is that a certain group of posters that harp about only one certain film are plants sent here by the moderators just to keep traffic going on this site and to keep specific threads alive

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

This is a great, and vaguely disquieting, deeeeep dive into the look of Brand Twitter and Humor.  One of the best I've read about the subject.

And even though I am an irony-poisoned Gen Xer, I totally get the sense of weariness that subtly underpins and is woven throughout the piece.

I've long thought that the dark side of the internet and places like Twitter is the drive toward being a bad stand up comic.  Everyone is chasing laughs for likes it seems.  Hell, I'm no exception (though I do try to keep my worst impulses on it at bay).  But on platforms like Twitter, it seems like it's a never-ending spiral that is getting worse and worse every year.

The progression described in that piece is real.  And like Michelle Buchman mentioned in a follow up tweet, I do wonder where this brand of social engagement on the part of brands is headed coz I also don't think it can sustain itself in the long term.

And don't get me wrong.  I appreciate a well crafted joke by a brand on Twitter like everyone else.  But if everyone on Twitter is a bad stand up comic, what happens when the jokes all run stale?  I don't have an answer.

And I suspect the folks running the brand accounts don't either.

(Speaking of which, I had no idea just how much work was going into cultivating the brand voice behind the scenes.  With so many millions and billions on the line, I suppose it does make sense.  I just never really thought about it that much.)

• Like 2

This Roger Ailes Showtime miniseries with Russell Crowe premiering this weekend looks and sounds like it should've just been called Vice: The Miniseries. Didn't hate that movie like a lot of people did but..eh. Crowe will probably snag at least a Golden Globe nomination just for his transformation though.

13 hours ago, Porthos said:

This is a great, and vaguely disquieting, deeeeep dive into the look of Brand Twitter and Humor.  One of the best I've read about the subject.

And even though I am an irony-poisoned Gen Xer, I totally get the sense of weariness that subtly underpins and is woven throughout the piece.

I've long thought that the dark side of the internet and places like Twitter is the drive toward being a bad stand up comic.  Everyone is chasing laughs for likes it seems.  Hell, I'm no exception (though I do try to keep my worst impulses on it at bay).  But on platforms like Twitter, it seems like it's a never-ending spiral that is getting worse and worse every year.

The progression described in that piece is real.  And like Michelle Buchman mentioned in a follow up tweet, I do wonder where this brand of social engagement on the part of brands is headed coz I also don't think it can sustain itself in the long term.

And don't get me wrong.  I appreciate a well crafted joke by a brand on Twitter like everyone else.  But if everyone on Twitter is a bad stand up comic, what happens when the jokes all run stale?  I don't have an answer.

And I suspect the folks running the brand accounts don't either.

(Speaking of which, I had no idea just how much work was going into cultivating the brand voice behind the scenes.  With so many millions and billions on the line, I suppose it does make sense.  I just never really thought about it that much.)

Brands trying to be our friends annoys me like nothing else. You want my money to overpay your CEO and underpay the people on the front lines, fuck outta here.

• Like 2

yay, my Stranger Things Coca-cola package showed up today :)   yes that is the defunct New Coke :D   and yes I was around for it the first time so it's not really new to me either way :P 

65768943_10156769507402054_2904876911329

65383825_10156769507532054_6045973691043

21 hours ago, CJohn said:

The Manzarra and Raminhos shows will bomb but the rest will be big enough to ensure SIC has an easy path to victory until the end of the year.

The Farmer Wants a Wife is a phenom. Everyone is talking about it, it is the new hot sensation of Portuguese television.

Don't underestimate Manzarra and Raminhos' power in a renewed, all-powerful SIC that has made 95% of everything they've done since Daniel Oliveira took charge work. Lip Sync Battle flopped but that was because of the botching of the premiere episode, and even then, it still beat the soap operas on its final episode and led on its 1st two episodes with Consolidado ratings, so the audience was there to watch it, SIC just didn't give them the product they liked the most. That may not happen this time, and plus, kids are cute and everybody likes to aww. The Catarina Furtado Saturday night kids show on RTP1 does pretty decent business, so I don't see the Manzarra show bombing. And Raminhos is a pretty big deal. And he's getting a Smart Face-like concept that could really pull audiences in. Oh, btw, SIC is starting to promote the new gameshow, which apparently will be called Fill Your Wish List. They did not announce Cristina Ferreira as the host, though, but it is heavily rumored that such will be the case, so we'll see.

The Farmer is just unstoppable. This season is even stronger than the previous one. The shares this thing does are fucking mad. It's beyond comprehension.

Does this Evangelion show get any better? It’s bit dull and the main guy is a whiny idiot. Love the animation though. I love the precision and the flaws. Everything nowadays looks so perfect. I like seeing that roughness (I still think some of the earlier episodes of The Simpsons look better than the new clean HD ones).

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

Does this Evangelion show get any better? It’s bit dull and the main guy is a whiny idiot. Love the animation though. I love the precision and the flaws. Everything nowadays looks so perfect. I like seeing that roughness (I still think some of the earlier episodes of The Simpsons look better than the new clean HD ones).

i watched the first episode to see what the hype was about. promptly concluded "oh, it's one of those anime" and dropped it. meh.