Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

5 minutes ago, DAR said:

I think sometimes we overthink things as a society

Still waiting for that new cut of A Bug's Life that replaces Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer. Although they'll probably let that stay since his character gets devoured by a group of baby birds at the end of the movie.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still waiting for that new cut of A Bug's Life that replaces Kevin Spacey with Christopher Plummer. Although they'll probably let that stay since his character gets devoured by a group of baby birds at the end of the movie.

Here's me overthinking, but that's really a gruesome way to go especially in a kids movie

Just finished binge-watching Season 1 of The Leftovers and it's really, really good. The second season doesn't look as interesting to me (I feel like the arcs of the characters have finished) but it's supposedly better. How does the show actually get even better?

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Just finished binge-watching Season 1 of The Leftovers and it's really, really good. The second season doesn't look as interesting to me (I feel like the arcs of the characters have finished) but it's supposedly better. How does the show actually get even better?

By embracing the weird and loosening up a bit.

Hey any Americans here from the Mountain States?

I am going to the Pacific Northwest and from Seattle going to Glacier Park In Montana and then Yellowstone and Grand Tenton and cutting across Idaho back to Oregon Coast and Portland.

Now was wondering any issues about travelling those more rural parts? 

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

The first Season is a bit melodramatic and self-serious, the second season gets more wacky and personal as opposed to plot driven

I started watching The Leftovers.  I think I got to the second episode.  I just couldn't get into it at the time but now that know where they go I keep thinking about giving it another shot.

It may come to no surprise to folks who see my sense of humor on this board that I lived on Mad Magazine growing up.  Even kept up with it a bit for a while as I aged-out of the main demo.  Spy vs Spy was a particular delight for me, as was the art of Sergio Aragones. 

Sure it was the very definition of rapid-fire hit or mostly miss comedy, but I still loved it.  I have no idea if it kept up with the times, but I have to admit I'm saddened at this.  Kind of feel we need Mad Magazine more than even in this current clime, though I suppose you can find a lot of that style on the internet.

Still, I'll miss it and the way it helped shape society for the better.

RIP, Mad Magazine.  You made the world a better place for your presence.

Edited by Porthos
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Shut everything down. All the good magazines are going away. You never know what literary magazines are around too. Maybe the only ones that will survive are New Yorker, Paris Review and whatever is connected to a university.

Fuck you Stanford for getting rid of your press.

Edited by cannastop

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It may come to no surprise to folks who see my sense of humor on this board that I lived on Mad Magazine growing up.  Even kept up with it a bit for a while as I aged-out of the main demo.  Spy vs Spy was a particular delight for me, as was the art of Sergio Aragones. 

Sure it was the very definition of rapid-fire hit or mostly miss comedy, but I still loved it.  I have no idea if it kept up with the times, but I have to admit I'm saddened at this.  Kind of feel we need Mad Magazine more than even in this current clime, though I suppose you can find a lot of that style on the internet.

It's a disgrace. I mean I mostly read it at the library when I was 10 to 18 but yeah....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm still a subscriber and have been one for 20 years across 2 countries. Will definitely miss the magazine when its gone but they have hemorrhaged talent over the past decade and its become kind of like The Simpsons, people remember the good stuff of old but no one seems to be reading it currently.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Disappointing to hear about its folding. I was never a subscriber, but I always liked flipping through an issue whenever I was visiting a library or bookstore.

I did follow the Mad Magazine TV show that aired on Cartoon Network from 2010 to 2013 when it was on though. It's certainly dated now, since it relied on spoofing whatever was topical in that time period (they did so many Twilight jokes), but it still had its charm,

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

but they have hemorrhaged talent over the past decade and its become kind of like The Simpsons, people remember the good stuff of old but no one seems to be reading it currently.

Hadn't read it in forever, but when you mention 'the good stuff' I still think about this joke every once in a while, even though I first saw it decades ago:

Inbanana.jpg

Just such a classic joke and one I loved the moment I saw it.

• Like 1