Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

:whosad:

I guess leaves Ralph Bakshi and Don Bluth as the last two Silent Generation animators who really set out on their own.

Watch this, it really shows the breadth of his imagination.

As an aside, I'd also strongly recommend everyone to watch the documentary Persistence of Vision. It truly showed how incredible and astonishing Richard Williams was as an animator and a creative.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric! said:

As an aside, I'd also strongly recommend everyone to watch the documentary Persistence of Vision. It truly showed how incredible and astonishing Richard Williams was as an animator and a creative.

Oh very nice. Never heard of that.

His effort to finish The Thief and the Cobbler in the 90s was the first job for many European animators who later went of to work for the Los Angeles industry, like WDAS, Pixar, Dreamworks. Not to mention all of the veteran animators that he hired over the decades long process of making the film. It didn't end well for him, though.

Ralph Bakshi, I believe on an official online forum, recounted that he told Richard Williams that he would have to stop being such a perfectionist if he wanted to finish it. But Williams didn't heed that advice well.

Eric Goldberg, the supervising animator for the Genie, got his start with Richard Williams.

Some of Williams' commercials:

The Recobbled Cut version of TatC (it’s up to version IV now, I think) is an astounding piece of work, both in the material used and how the fan edit manages to come as close to Williams’ original vision as possible, but you can easily see why WB ultimately backed out of it. It definitely has a very deliberate pacing with huge chunks dedicated solely to the thief’s hijinks while the actual plot is very sparse. Not sure how it would’ve performed had the version under WB’s financing gotten finished (a poor test screening is what’s said to have been the last straw).

But just on its sheer scale and visual panache I recommend any animation fan should look it up on Youtube.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

The Recobbled Cut version (it’s up to version IV now, I think) is an astounding piece of work, but you can easily see why WB ultimately backed out of it. It definitely has a very deliberate pacing with huge chunks dedicated solely to the thief’s hijinks while the actual plot is very sparse. Not sure how it would’ve performed had the version under WB’s financing gotten finished (a poor test screening is what’s said to have been the last straw).

But it’s astounding just on its sheer scale and visual panache anyhow.

Couldn't have done worse than Ferngully. :ph34r:

I remember seeing the shitty Miramax version on VHS. And seeing commercials for it on Schoolhouse Rock VHS.

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Couldn't have done worse than Ferngully. :ph34r:

I remember seeing the shitty Miramax version on VHS. And seeing commercials for it on Schoolhouse Rock VHS.

Not sure about that. WB was just as bad as Fox when it came to marketing animated films in the 90s. Disney was the only one able to pull it off succesfully and consistently.

• Like 1