Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

I was a bit skeptical about Steven Universe Future after the series finale seemed to resolve so much.   

Rarely does it feel so good to be so wrong.

Steven Universe Future is out already? I thought it was releasing next year. Gotta catch up now.

Also, I thought the amazing movie that released earlier this year proved that they could do bit more with the material. Kind of sad to see that this is the last season though. Its the longest show I've been a fan of after Veep.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Steven Universe Future is out already? I thought it was releasing next year. Gotta catch up now.

Also, I thought the amazing movie that released earlier this year proved that they could do bit more with the material. Kind of sad to see that this is the last season though. Its the longest show I've been a fan of after Veep.

4 episode premiere yesterday. 2 a week for the next 3 weeks. Hoping the episode count on the “last season” is like 52 :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

Maybe its me but this show feels a bit off. Doesn't seem like it will be as good as Veep or The Thick of It. Still as a huge Ianucci fanboy, I'm hyped.

Man, HBO's on fire. Feel like GoT was their sacrificial lamb, because they've been hitting so many home-runs between Barry, Chernobyl, Succession, and Watchmen. Their 2020 lineup looks promising too between this and The Outsider.

6 minutes ago, TMP said:

Man, HBO's on fire. Feel like GoT was their sacrificial lamb, because they've been hitting so many home-runs between Barry, Chernobyl, Succession, and Watchmen. Their 2020 lineup looks promising too between this and The Outsider.

Looking at the ratings, Watchmen is clearly the sacrificial lamb - it will need to do much better to get even a third season. Even Westworld was more successful. GoT, on the other hand, beat all HBO records by an order of magnitude.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Looking at the ratings, Watchmen is clearly the sacrificial lamb - it will need to do much better to get even a third season. Even Westworld was more successful. GoT, on the other hand, beat all HBO records by an order of magnitude.

Yet the innovative, critically praised HBO drama series is an actual hit, not merely a zeitgeist talker. Through its seven episodes so far, the show, created and executive produced by Damon Lindelof, is drawing an average of 7.1 million viewers across HBO’s linear channels and streaming platforms. According to HBO’s tallies, “Watchmen” is premium cable’s most popular new series of 2019, and HBO’s most-watched new series since “Big Little Lies.”

From Variety (https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/hbo-watchmen-ratings-1203425067/)

28 minutes ago, TMP said:

The Plot Against America (finally an alternate history story that isn't the generic "what is Nazis won WW2" story and its also written by the writers of The Wire) and The Undoing (Big Little Lies writer) look great too. There's also that Mark Ruffalo miniseries by Derek Cianfrance coming up.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-box-office-record-10-billion-frozen-2-lion-king-avengers-endgame-1203428859/

Disney surpasses $10 billion at the worldwide box office. The previous record was Disney’s 2016 haul @ $7.6 billion. Frozen 2 will still add another $400m or more and TROS at $1.2 billion, at least.

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've also been watching Angels in America recently which is another HBO masterpiece. Still astonished that the rabbi in the first episode was Meryl Streep. Didn't even realise until after I finished the episode.

She did something similar in another recent film of hers. Don’t want to give it away. I was shocked. True chameleon. 

Edited by lilmac

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

Free Guy trailer looks good. I worry though about Ryan Reynolds getting typecast as a Daredevil like actor. Although I think that’s his real personality. Lol 

It's the pathway to Batman.

I don't want to say "can we all agree that" because I don't want to force my beliefs on anyone else. But the controversy around this Pelaton ad is getting ridiculous. Anyone who's sending death threats to an actor in a TV commercial because they don't like the person THEY perceive the character to be is going way off the deep end. The commercial was filmed in our family-friend's apartment, and at first they liked to 'brag' about how their apartment was going to be on TV, now they're scared for anyone to recognize their home. And then the male actor in the commercial said this.

"People are blending the lines too much with this character that I've been portrayed as, and with my co-actor's character. And they're going, 'this is who these people are now.' And that's so wrong. It's hard to deal with."

Honestly though, if anyone does have a different perspective to bring to this, or if someone can justify the death threats I would like to hear it. My problem sometimes is I have an initial gut reaction to something and it's hard for me to shift my perspective on that because sometimes it feels like everything gets filtered through that perception.