Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

All cops are evil and corrupt;nice left wing mentality. No better then All cops are good and nobel on the other side of the political spectrum.

All cops are evil and corrupt tho

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Definitely remains perplexing that Selma only received two nominations while they went gaga for movies like The Imitation Game and The Theory of Everything with half a dozen nominations each.

You know why.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

You know why.

Well yeah lol, but still. I feel like the world has forgotten those movies ever existed in the first place (too bad the Birdman love couldn't have carried Keaton to a win and spared us from Eddie Redmayne becoming an Oscar winner).

The irony of the Academy snubbing a film about activism on the basis of its makers engaging in activism is thick. I’m glad Selma still had enough backers to eke out a Best Picture nomination, but the fact that it got nothing else outside of an Original Song nod (and win) remains awful.

• Like 1

I think there were also reports that Gone Girl made many voters "uncomfortable" that season as well which would probably explain why it inexplicably ended up one nomination away from a total shutout. Not sure if it would be almost completely left out in the cold as much now as it did then. Or maybe it would since Gillian Flynn hasn't had much luck since (Widows went nowhere and even HBO's Sharp Objects didn't make as large of an impression as one would've expected).

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think there were also reports that Gone Girl made many voters "uncomfortable" that season as well which would probably explain why it inexplicably ended up one nomination away from a total shutout. Not sure if it would be almost completely left out in the cold as much now as it did then. Or maybe it would since Gillian Flynn hasn't had much luck since (Widows went nowhere and even HBO's Sharp Objects didn't make as large of an impression as one would've expected).

Yeah, Gone Girl’s near-shutout shocked me at the time. With how big it was at the box office and how weird that season was in general, I thought it was a sure thing for at least a half-dozen nominations before it just didn’t land with the major precursors.

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Nice sweeping generalisation. 

The officers who stay complicit and don't call out their fellow cops and their brutality are all a part of the system. They allow this to happen. ACAB

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

The officers who stay complicit and don't call out their fellow cops and their brutality are all a part of the system. They allow this to happen. ACAB

“American cops are evil and corrupt tho”

If you’re going with a sweeping generalisation at least give it a little focus. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Obviously there are good cops out there. The problem is more on the American police system itself, which has resulted in the work of the good ones being undermined completely by the bad ones. It's an issue that will probably require knocking the system down entirely and starting over to truly achieve the end of all this senseless violence for good, and that's pretty sad.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Brainbug said:

On a Movie-related note: Im in somewhat of a Star Wars mood in the last few days, watching Meme videos and Tributes on YouTube, listening to the music etc. And i have to say that i realized that i dont care about the new films.

When TFA came out, it became instantly one of my favourite movies. When i first saw The Last Jedi, i loved it. But when i sat down last December and watched Rise of Skywalker ... i just laughed at it. It was entertaining, sure, but it was also ... bad. Really bad actually. Ive always said that one could judge the new Star Wars Trilogy only when all 3 Films were to be released. Now they are and i have to say ...

I like the Prequels far more.

Thats shocking for me, since i regard Phantom Menace as a total cinematic failure in most aspects and i DESPISE half the runtime of Attack of the Clones. But i like Revenge of the Sith. I would even go so far as to say i love it, because ROTS is Star Wars at its most dramatic, epic and tragic level. Not even the awful dialogue can make it bad for me. And so the Prequel Trilogy for me ends with a bang and for me The Sequel Trilogy ... ends in embarrassment. And that makes Episodes VII and VIII in retrospect a lot worse for me. I rewatched both those films a lot before TROS came out. I havent watched them since. And i honestly dont plan to in the future. These new films now feel just empty for me. Devoid of any true originality. Say what you want about the Prequels: They didnt have a new death star. They didnt try to copy anything from the OT. In fact, they made the Star Wars universe seem bigger and greater than ever before. Thats in contrast to the Sequels, were the world seems ... strangely smaller.

As it now stands, Rogue One is the best Disney Star Wars film for me. Back in 2017, i would have never said that. Opinions can change over time and mine has drastically when it comes to the new Star Wars films. I dont hate them, hell besides Episode 9 i dont even dislike 7 and 8 - but i do think now, that Disney dropped the ball with the trilogy.

Clone Wars makes the prequel trilogy especially ROTS that much more worth it.

I agree while I enjoyed both TFA and TLJ unfortunately TROS sours the trilogy as a whole for me. One of those cases of something lesser than the sum of its parts.

16 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Nice that voters patted themselves on the back with Green Book though. 

I was just thinking earlier about how that movie's Best Picture win makes so much sense in retrospect now (as a "feel-good" movie about the friendship between a white man and a black man). As long as the kinds of stories we've been seeing over the past week continue to happen, movies of that sort (along with darker fare like BlacKkKlansman, The Hate U Give, Just Mercy, etc.) will never cease to be relevant and will continue to be made.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

All cops are evil and corrupt tho

I....what?

I cant even respond to this how I want because you'd probably just cancel me from the thread as usual.

Give your head a fucking shake.

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Clone Wars makes the prequel trilogy especially ROTS that much more worth it.

I agree while I enjoyed both TFA and TLJ unfortunately TROS sours the trilogy as a whole for me. One of those cases of something lesser than the sum of its parts.

I have just begun watching The Clone Wars Season 1 for the first time and so far i really enjoy it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

I....what?

I cant even respond to this how I want because you'd probably just cancel me from the thread as usual.

Give your head a fucking shake.

Forget it Jake

It's progressive hypocrisy town...

😅

I have one cousin, one friend and one family friend as cops and they are not evil and corrupt. 

The police need sweeping reform but frankly progressives who are frantically trying to defund and disband police out of a personal vendetta are just doing a disservice to their cause.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1