Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

got back into watching movies after a break bc of school

watched Apocalypse Now (cuz heard Da 5 Bloods has a lot of references to it) theatrical cut, it was a wild ride don't think I got the ending but i loved it and the contrast between the colonel that was against the system with the one playing by the system's rules was brillant. 8/10.

looking forward to watch the longer cuts in the future as I felt it ended too soon.

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

I was just thinking earlier about how that movie's Best Picture win makes so much sense in retrospect now (as a "feel-good" movie about the friendship between a white man and a black man).

"Friendship" that is formed entirely on the white man's terms, don't forget. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RealLyre said:

got back into watching movies after a break bc of school

watched Apocalypse Now (cuz heard Da 5 Bloods has a lot of references to it) theatrical cut, it was a wild ride don't think I got the ending but i loved it and the contrast between the colonel that was against the system with the one playing by the system's rules was brillant. 8/10.

looking forward to watch the longer cuts in the future as I felt it ended too soon.

The Redux cut is worse though I guess if you want more of the ending you'll get it. But it adds almost nothing necessary or important.

Our current law enforcement system is over-funded, over-militarized, under-trained, filled with bad seeds, and is trained to close ranks and defend their clout and power no matter what. Police departments in large cities are perilously close to being nothing more than protection rackets, shaking down city budgets for ever-increasing amounts of money. There are indeed good policemen and women, but the system is designed to grind them down and force them to conform. “Us against them” is the mentality, and “them” is anyone who’s not a cop.

Defund them. Tear the system down and rebuild it in a more equitable and transparent way.

Don’t @ me. 

• Like 16

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

Forget it Jake

It's progressive hypocrisy town...

😅

I have one cousin, one friend and one family friend as cops and they are not evil and corrupt. 

The police need sweeping reform but frankly progressives who are frantically trying to defund and disband police out of a personal vendetta are just doing a disservice to their cause.

Progressives: "The police are killing Black people because of their skin. They have military-style power and abuse that power against minorities. We're tired of this and want a reform. The current system is awful, and the good ones who do nothing are no better in letting these actions continue"

Lordmandeep: "LOL you progressives are total hypocrites. Why you gotta be so mean? Did you know Hillary Clinton and The Last Jedi are divisive? My entire personality is being an ass and complaining about how liberals ruin everything!"

Give me a fucking break.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Our current law enforcement system is over-funded, over-militarized, under-trained, filled with bad seeds, and is trained to close ranks and defend their clout and power no matter what. Police departments in large cities are perilously close to being nothing more than protection rackets, shaking down city budgets for ever-increasing amounts of money. There are indeed good policemen and women, but the system is designed to grind them down and force them to conform. “Us against them” is the mentality, and “them” is anyone who’s not a cop.

Defund them. Tear the system down and rebuild it in a more equitable and transparent way.

Don’t @ me. 

To push the thought more, doesn't all of this post then boil down to having a problem with the government union concept (as opposed to the private sector union concept which has checks and balances that are impossible to implement for governmental groups) and not the law enforcement concept?  That those unions, like the ones for cops, are designed to both shake down city budgets year after year to protect their piece of the pie and to protect their rank and file from any repercussions of their actions at all costs.  That those unions allow police forces to serve their "actual real" customer, the government, vs their "should be real" customer, the people.  So, wouldn't we solve the problem more by just eliminating union protections for all government workers vs tearing down an entire structure and having a void while we figure out how to rebuild to not cause the exact same problems again? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

Progressives: "The police are killing Black people because of their skin. They have military-style power and abuse that power against minorities. We're tired of this and want a reform. The current system is awful, and the good ones who do nothing are no better in letting these actions continue"

Lordmandeep: "LOL you progressives are total hypocrites. Why you gotta be so mean? Did you know Hillary Clinton and The Last Jedi are divisive? My entire personality is being an ass and complaining about how liberals ruin everything!"

Give me a fucking break.

The funny thing is because you more concerned with moral purity and superiority over other users especially in the way you conduct yourself as mod most of the time...

That i actually 100% agree with your comment about you  just said about the police. I am for police reform 100%. 

I just dont think they are all evil and corrupt but if that one deviation from your viewpoint means I automatically means i must be the enemy...

and it is hypocrisy because progressive ideals are all about not generalizing entire groups of people. 

Thank you

Edited by Lordmandeep

5 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

The police need sweeping reform but frankly progressives who are frantically trying to defund and disband police out of a personal vendetta are just doing a disservice to their cause.

The cause is defunding and disbanding police.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

I doubt that realistic or more than 1% of the people actually want it (if you go to a peaceful protest and ask people if they want police disbanded I am really not sure it would be popular).

I feel like the cause is much more:

- Police qualified immunity

- Police level of formation (here it is 3 year's of school + special police school intense training, in the USA it is really low)

- Police union strength (correlation between police violence and the strenght of their union protecting them is really strong)

- Police demilitarization

If demilitarization save enough money to pay for #2 and buy r how much it would cost to removing number #3, maybe you can defund, but for better police people need to be open to pay more not less.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I can argue for reducing police budgets to put into mental and social health as a lot of these services been cut and many polices forces have to deal with mental health issues they are not trained for. 

Disband however is cause of some to many others its police reform... 

Just because you dont believe in disbanding the police does not mean you are pro police brutality. 

And to be honest, morality purity does not equal results in civil right movements. 

The possibility of disbanding police forces across America is Zero percent. Look beyond twitter bubble for once... 

So we can push an idea that the public wont support and ruin this chance to reform police or we can push something that can actually happen.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Don’t @ me. 

Okay what is you realistic chance of that coming to reality?

Police forces can be reformed and changed, i would say look to Canada which has similar issues to America.

Edited by Lordmandeep

50 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Don’t @ me. 

Where is the lie though (even if the solutions here are unfortunately easier said than done)?

I can't believe how disconnected from reality we are becoming as a society. I watched an interesting lecture where a professor said something to the effect of this is the same kind of thing that preceded the fall of the Roman Empire.

The election of Trump started it. Now it's reached a new level during this pandemic. People have lost it. They're all doing and saying reactionary things on emotional overload. No practicality or common sense whatsoever.

To quote Woody Harrelson to Caesar the Ape: 

"So emotional!!"

These protests have become more violent than most perhaps in part because of the fact COVID-19 wiped most of the "distractions" (sports, movies, Broadway, concerts, theme parks, even work, etc.) from the world for an extended period of time (a good portion of the country being on unemployment has contributed as well), forcing everyone to pay more attention to what's happening in the news than ever. But it was only a matter of a time until the senseless loss of life to systemic racism (a good reason for anyone to be emotional) was gonna reach a point where everyone finally stood up and said enough is enough.