Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

10 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

So they can get all this effort to change a team name but not pressure a company to stop using child labour in third world countries or stealing water from local water tables. 

Odd how the corporate world works with its 'ethics' 

Well, sure. Especially if it's a shareholder-led revolt.  I mean, one affects the bottom line directly and the other is getting ahead of a fast moving boulder.

Or pushing a boulder so it goes in a different direction and not toward you.

Anyway, Nike itself has faced pressure before on how it treats its workers and I'm sure it will again.

Either way, that a company ain't perfect sure as hell doesn't mean they should be looked askance at when they do something worthwhile, even if it is for selfish reasons.  "Money talks" as half of the old phrase goes.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well, sure. Especially if it's a shareholder-led revolt.  I mean, one affects the bottom line directly and the other is getting ahead of a fast moving boulder.

Or pushing a boulder so it goes in a different direction and not toward you.

Anyway, Nike itself has faced pressure before on how it treats its workers and I'm sure it will again.

Either way, that a company ain't perfect sure as hell doesn't mean they should be looked askance at when they do something worthwhile, even if it is for selfish reasons.  "Money talks" as half of the old phrase goes.

That is why I become very suspect of corporations acting 'ethical'.

Always see if there gesture they are doing actually changes their business model and hurts their bottom line for a greater good or is just virtue signaling for PR. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

That is why I become very suspect of corporations acting 'ethical'.

Always see if there gesture they are doing actually changes their business model and hurts their bottom line for a greater good or is just virtue signaling for PR. 

I take a very utilitarian approach to these sorts of things.  If positive good comes out of it I can't be mustered to give a shit whether or not a corp is doing it for PR.  Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised if a corp actually does something out of the goodness of their hearts, especially the bigger ones.  

Call it my latent cynicism that I talk about every once in a while, but usually leave buried on this board. 👍

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

What does the military have to do with anything

I am failing to see the link with the team renaming process and honoring the military as well.

The national anthem in most pro sport started for honoring soldiers in the crowd (and for ww1 returning veteran playing on the field/ice), the NFL it started during WW2 and became a rules in 1945, making the link between it and the military obvious, but here ?

14 minutes ago, grim22 said:

"Honoring" the US military has been a core part of the NFL since 9/11, and they even used to be paid to do so as part of the recruiting effort.

Edited by MrGlass2

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

"Honoring" the US military has been a core part of the NFL since 9/11, and they even used to be paid to do so as part of the recruiting effort.

It maybe upped at that moment, but the start of the game must have been like baseball/hockey about honoring the military since way before, NHL started doing it sporadically when soldier returning to play for there teams after WW1, MLB-NFL during WW2 I think.

Maybe the TV edit was not showing it and started to show it after 9/11 ?

7 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe the TV edit was not showing it and started to show it after 9/11 ?

Players didn't use to be on the field for the anthem before 9/11.

It maybe upped at that moment

Check this out, pre-game show:

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nolan and Joy are extremely boring writers who seem creatively bankrupt at the moment (espescially after that godawful 3rd Westworld season). Really wish they got someone else for this.

Same here.

36 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Might be a new name like Redtails or Warriors which I see being thrown around. Would relate to the military.

"Potomocs" after the Native American Tribe which inhabited the DC area (and for whom the river was named) is being suggested.

14 hours ago, elcaballero said:

It really does look like the dominos are about to fall, finally. I wonder what a good new name would be?

Best outcome is Snyder goes as well. 

It's between him and Jerry Jones for the title of worst owner in the NFL.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Besides what everyone else said, it's a great CYA for people who might be hostile to the name change.  "We're doing it for the troops!" is nearly a buzzphrase right now, no matter how tenuous the connection.

(also don't forget there is a large military presence in the Greater DC area, especially when defense contractors and civilians working for military adjacent companies come into play) 

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nolan and Joy are extremely boring writers who seem creatively bankrupt at the moment (espescially after that godawful 3rd Westworld season). Really wish they got someone else for this.

Not arguing that the writing in the third season was "good," but the direction was so flat that no big moments had a chance to hit. Whoever directed the action scenes needs to go back to working on CW shows. Even an action scene set during massive rioting was boring.