Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

By 2035, peope will riot violently in the streets around the world because subscriptions fees to Netflix and Stadia when up by 40%.

The current fees are just baits, which makes you a not so clever gold fish.

Edited by The Futurist

55 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Aliens

The Abyss

True Lies

Titanic

They all have two things in common!

All directed by Jimbo

and...

Reveal hidden contents

If they finally get True Lies to friggin' Blu-Ray, I will forever approve of the purchase.

Damn, never realized how good of a director Peter Weir is. His work on Truman Show is phenomenal, and I never realized he'd been nominated for best director something like 4 times I think (at least 3). Wonder why he pretty much disappeared after Master and Commander (other than Way Back I guess). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Damn, never realized how good of a director Peter Weir is. His work on Truman Show is phenomenal, and I never realized he'd been nominated for best director something like 4 times I think (at least 3). Wonder why he pretty much disappeared after Master and Commander (other than Way Back I guess). 

Franchises, superheroes, Sci-fi and fantasy took over and he was too old for that.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Franchises, superheroes, Sci-fi and fantasy took over and he was too old for that.

Have you seen the interview into which he explained that when he did Mast and Commander, he did it under the signed the condition that he would accept to receive written studio feedback but would not give any answer to said feedback (said what he thought of their idea, if he would act on it, etc..).

That was a $210M movie in today money....

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

32 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Check out Picnic at Hanging Rock if you haven't. What a movie.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Have you seen the interview into which he explained that when he did Mast and Commander, he did it under the signed the condition that he would accept to receive written studio feedback but would not give any answer to said feedback (said what he thought of their idea, if he would act on it, etc..).

That was a $210M movie in today money....

Hubris was strong with this one.

Always loved the naiveté of filmmakers and their minions called cinephiles.

So we re gonna give you 5, 50, 150, 200m$ and we are gonna let you paly with it because you re a genius and you re always right ?

Suuuuure, Jan.

Sure.

That world disappeared because of the weight of its own stupidity.

Good riddance.

• Knock It Off 1

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

So we re gonna give you 5, 50, 150, 200m$ and we are gonna let you paly with it because you re a genius and you re always right ?

Suuuuure, Jan.

Sure.

Well yes and they did no ? That negotiation, it is that or go find a filmmaker that will accept otherwise.

Director asking for final cut and control is quite common, studio are protected the movie still need to mostly follow the approved script/concept usually.

Edited by Barnack

I often think of this piece of trivia about The Elephant Man

When Paramount Pictures studio executives were shown a cut of this movie, they wanted the opening and closing surrealist sequences to be cut. Executive Producer Mel Brooks, according to Producer Stuart Cornfeld, said to them: "We are involved in a business venture. We screened the film for you, to bring you up to date as to the status of that venture. Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

This is how it should be on all films. Give filmmakers the resources they need and fuck off.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:49 PM, Avatree said:

I'm listening to a Jon Hamm interview. He just claimed that Mad Men was the first TV show to treat a season as a whole story arc.

In today's world where TV-series often only have ~ 12-13 episodes.

In the past we all know ~ 20 to 26 were the usual, so if a series in e.g. the '90 got 2 arcs per season I count it as equal to today's kind of series.

Like Wiseguy

To me till today a TV-series game changer, but not the first one, see some series out of the '60 or outside the US, like to find in UK.

Babylon 5 has stories in stories in... all held together in a long continuous story arc. In some ways it reminds more about a book than the most other long arc series

Or what's with The Wire?

All 3 examples given happen to be on my top 8 favourite TV series (series I love, there are no more titles on that list, all the others are series I like), exactly for that reason.

I guessed at first him being either very young or very ignorant or very badly 'educated' in his profession's contributing parts. Looking him up I can say, #1 is not the reason, he is old enough to have seen Wiseguy in its first run starting as an 16y old