Jump to content
Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread | Vote for Joe Biden November 3

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You're not alone.

 

We are simpatico.

 

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Suspiria was my "Oh, so THAT'S what mother! haters feel" movie. Climax is good stuff tho

 

Yeah, Suspiria tested me with that length but I was engaged enough. I can't get behind Climax, though. There was nothing to connect to so I just felt stuck at an awful party. I always admire Noe's pizazz but it felt in service of nada.

 

That said, I did like Tall Lady.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That opening dance scene in Climax is no-words-to-do-it-justice great. After that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Climax is in my top 3 of the year right now. I didn't know what to rate it after I saw it because it's a very uncomfortable watch that almost made me walk out of the theater, but that's a testament to how fucked up it is. I felt what Noë intended me to feel so 🤷‍♀️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Climax is in my top 3 of the year right now. I didn't know what to rate it after I saw it because it's a very uncomfortable watch that almost made me walk out of the theater, but that's a testament to how fucked up it is. I felt what Noë intended me to feel so 🤷‍♀️

You just catch up with I Stand Alone and Irreversible. Much more hauntingly fucked up when there's actual characters to engage with.

Edited by Jake Gittes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the ONLY good climax is the model train chase at the end of the wrong trousers am i right fellas.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

the only good climax is when im in the bedroom ya kna i sayin

why only in the bedroom?

Answe might be NSFW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

@Telemachos

 

Is that good or bad for the actual for/at that Disney channel working writers? Or 'neutral' see the comment: so dominant that it controls the whole market 

 

https://deadline.com/2019/03/wga-makes-significant-move-for-deal-with-talent-agents-but-not-on-key-issues-of-packaging-and-producing-1202579414/

 

Packaging is separate from the whole Disney/Fox thing. That’s a bad situation too, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just curious how the deal is gonna impact Fox's slate beyond the obvious tentpoles. Ad Astra (which is obviously getting delayed again), The Woman in the Window, and Ford v. Ferrari are essentially finished movies and West Side Story is also a done deal since that's gonna be shooting soon, but we might be seeing the end of mid-to-lower budget fare from them. It's worth pointing that they had a really bad 2018 that was rescued by two movies (Deadpool 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody) cause they didn't have a single $60M+ grosser otherwise. Adding insult to injury is that their only releases in 2019 so far have been a flop (The Kid Who Would Be King) and a movie that was saved from red ink by overseas (Alita), so they've probably been headed in that direction regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RichWS said:

To the plebs who couldn't stand Mother!....I now understand your pain after Climax, though probably not as much as the lone other guy in the theater who walked out an hour in.

 

I just saw it.  With my mom too, who decided she had enough about 50 minutes in and went to go shopping while I finished it up.

 

I loved the movie to be clear, but I also think that people were making it out to be more shocking than it actually was.  It’s certainly more trippy than most other films of its ilk, but compared to something like, say, mother!, I didn’t feel anywhere near as disturbed as I did during that film (not to say I wasn’t disturbed during a few key moments, just didn’t shake me like mother! did). Definitely appreciated the dance sequences and was never bored though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I just saw it.  With my mom too, who decided she had enough about 50 minutes in and went to go shopping while I finished it up.

 

I loved the movie to be clear, but I also think that people were making it out to be more shocking than it actually was.  It’s certainly more trippy than most other films of its ilk, but compared to something like, say, mother!, I didn’t feel anywhere near as disturbed as I did during that film (not to say I wasn’t disturbed during a few key moments, just didn’t shake me like mother! did). Definitely appreciated the dance sequences and was never bored though.

 

If I left after the early great dance scene, I would've given it a thumbs-up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'm just curious how the deal is gonna impact Fox's slate beyond the obvious tentpoles. Ad Astra (which is obviously getting delayed again), The Woman in the Window, and Ford v. Ferrari are essentially finished movies and West Side Story is also a done deal since that's gonna be shooting soon, but we might be seeing the end of mid-to-lower budget fare from them. It's worth pointing that they had a really bad 2018 that was rescued by two movies (Deadpool 2 and Bohemian Rhapsody) cause they didn't have a single $60M+ grosser otherwise. Adding insult to injury is that their only releases in 2019 so far have been a flop (The Kid Who Would Be King) and a movie that was saved from red ink by overseas (Alita), so they've probably been headed in that direction regardless.

well, Alan Horn said in his latest interview that they(Disney) literally can't make some of the edgier stuff but Fox will allow them to say yes to some of them. I think all the edgy mid-to-lower stuff will go to Fox, they just need someone at the head of it who will see diamonds in the rough lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Showgirls Go Home said:

I guess strip clubs will always be voted into business (by the people)

so many like-minded people

FUCK COMMUNITIES!

I hope I die of a heart attack tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, InVy said:

well, Alan Horn said in his latest interview that they(Disney) literally can't make some of the edgier stuff but Fox will allow them to say yes to some of them. I think all the edgy mid-to-lower stuff will go to Fox, they just need someone at the head of it who will see diamonds in the rough lol.

Alan Horn is likely the reason Disney is in the monster position they are in these days. He used to be at WB during the Harry Potter years before leaving for Disney and has likely had a hand in their tentpole strategy because those bring in the big names (just this decade it feels like they've had more A-list talent - including Angelina Jolie, Meryl Streep, George Clooney, Reese Witherspoon, Will Smith, to name a few - being drawn to Disney-branded movies than ever before).

Edited by filmlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Telemachos said:

Packaging is separate from the whole Disney/Fox thing. That’s a bad situation too, though. 

I know.

My question is abut the explicit situation at Disney Channel, as it got excluded in the packaging article, this one part of Disney seemingy not working under / with the packaging system.

= does it help the writers there, to not being part of the packaging contracts, or is it worse, or roughly the same.

The article also mentioned, that packaging is so dominant, the conditions is general bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

before leaving for Disney

got suggested to go into retirement. Was at first a consultant, went to Disney a year or so later

 

There are several articles about it, but a nice summary is here to read (written in 2014)

Quote

Alan F. Horn was pushed out by Warner Brothers in 2011 after a celebrated run as its film chief — too old, too out of touch, he was told. Toddle off into a happy retirement, he was advised. Read a book.

Since then, Mr. Horn, 71, has achieved something rare in show business, if not in business over all: He has rewritten his own ending.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/business/media/alan-horn-rights-the-ship-at-disney-and-fortune-follows.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

got suggested to go into retirement. Was at first a consultant, went to Disney a year or so later

 

There are several articles about it, but a nice summary is here to read (written in 2014)

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/10/business/media/alan-horn-rights-the-ship-at-disney-and-fortune-follows.html

Makes sense. I remember The Hangover was supposed to be a dumped limited release with essentially no marketing because he/WB had no faith in it until insane test screening reactions made them change their minds and the rest is history.

Edited by filmlover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Makes sense. I remember The Hangover was supposed to be a dumped limited release with essentially no marketing because he/WB had no faith in it until insane test screening reactions made them change their minds and the rest is history.

To kick him out for being too old and out of touch was in my POV one of the more stupid decision of WB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.