Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

16 hours ago, captainwondyful said:

Speaking of Musicals.  HELLO DOLLY is tonight at my theater.  I'm Just:

When a music teacher decides all her pupils have to watch it on a stage, charters a bus...

... and grumbles loudly the whole nearly 2 hours long drive back about 'them' giving the lead to someone who was/is famous who is way too old to still carry it, has no range left, has no air/breath... left. And so on.

15 hours ago, cannastop said:

Depending on the country and outlet, I've read different limits, what do you count as the baby boomer generation start and end year?

I ask as causes like rebuild... it seems to have started later here.

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Depending on the country and outlet, I've read different limits, what do you count as the baby boomer generation start and end year?

I ask as causes like rebuild... it seems to have started later here.

Gen X: 1966-1979

Millennial: 1980-1996?

Gen Z: 1997?-2012?

If you were born after 1980, but don't remember 9/11, you're Gen Z. If you are and you do, you're millennial.

12 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

When a music teacher decides all her pupils have to watch it on a stage, charters a bus...

... and grumbles loudly the whole nearly 2 hours long drive back about 'them' giving the lead to someone who was/is famous who is way too old to still carry it, has no range left, has no air/breath... left. And so on.

LOLOLOL. Name names!! Who did you see?

Baby boomer is late 40s - 1960 or so. 

30 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Gen X: 1966-1979

Millennial: 1980-1996?

Gen Z: 1997?-2012?

If you were born after 1980, but don't remember 9/11, you're Gen Z. If you are and you do, you're millennial.

That 9/11 is a strange thing to choose, not sure what you mean by remembering 9/11. That would also differ depending on where you live, e.g. I was 5 years old at 9/11 so do not remember it, however, if I was living in New York when i was 5, maybe more likely to remember.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Baby boomer is late 40s - 1960 or so. 

That 9/11 is a strange thing to choose, not sure what you mean by remembering 9/11. That would also differ depending on where you live, e.g. I was 5 years old at 9/11 so do not remember it, however, if I was living in New York when i was 5, maybe more likely to remember.

If you were American you'd definitely remember.

Just now, cannastop said:

If you were American you'd definitely remember.

So do you think i am Millennial or Gen Z?

The Pew Research Center defines "Post-Millennials" as those born from 1997 onward

for Bloomberg, Generation Z was born between 1997 and 2012

The American Psychological Association starts Generation Z at 1997

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

The Pew Research Center defines "Post-Millennials" as those born from 1997 onward

I dunno. I guess you're millennial then.

the notion that generations are divided by years is a bit daft, you can be born on 31 December and you are one generation but born one day later you're a different generation?

Anyway.

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That might be the drugs.

Yeah I do think about that. My memory is very very bad. If i have a few drinks it is easy for my memory to be lost of that night. my friend asked me yesterday if I had been texting Kim. I'm like who is Kim? Apparently me and my friend spend a whole night with two girls in a bar and things went well with them. I dont remember anything. Thought he was joking but no i really managed to not remember anything from spending a whole night with a girl

And long term memory is really faded. I struggle to remember much that is not quite recent. Eg my friends/family will ask me to recite a story and I will not be able to remember anything, or not know what they are talking about. I talked to my representative in parliament last week and she asked me what my reasons for voting in the EU referendum, I could not remember, even though I felt very strongly at the time. 

I do wonder if the drugs/alcohol have an effect on memory.

48 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

LOLOLOL. Name names!! Who did you see?

OMG, that was ~ in the mid '70, whoever sang 'Dolly' at that time in Munich / Germany = I have no idea...

It took a long time till I gave the next 'sung-play' a try.

19 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Technically 1946-1965 in America.

O.K., than husband, all his siblings, my younger brother and I are all baby boomers in the US too. As its about increasing birth numbers, here it was a bit later, as mentioned: 1955-1969

What do you call people born in 1898 (121 years back, not a typo), that's when my father-in-law was born? He was a WW I vet, my father a WWII vet, that's all I know how to ~ name the generations in a way. Hmm, both get born during the reign of the last German emperor, are they empero-something-ists then? 😉

17 minutes ago, Avatree said:

That makes my (surprise-) son (the youngest of that generation of our family) just a Millennial as born before 1997, interesting.

Some of my nephews too, the others are Gen X.

Wondering about why the naming of generations got created or however to call that

2 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I do wonder if the drugs/alcohol have an effect on memory.

Is that seriously meant?

If yes, both are known for the possibility to damage the memory, slow down reactions even if sober, limit logical thinking abilities and whatnot.

I can remember details out of my pre-kindergarten time

Not saying all who do drugs or not will experience the exact same but conspicuous there are differences to the average.

4 minutes ago, carolwoodpr said:

OMG pain is bad, it doesn’t help that I just tripped over a dog and landed on my foot.  And why have my eyes been blurred since surgery?

Hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs hugs

Blood pressure?

Pain too possible, of at the limit?

Not enough liquid?

And tell someone to put the dogs on a leash in the house, in a crate, take them with whoever leaves the room, not fun to have to suffer that much, no matter if a dog was involved or not!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

OMG, that was ~ in the mid '70, whoever sang 'Dolly' at that time in Munich / Germany = I have no idea...

It took a long time till I gave the next 'sung-play' a try.

:hahaha:

Love it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

Is that seriously meant?

If yes, both are known for the possibility to damage the memory, slow down reactions even if sober, limit logical thinking abilities and whatnot.

I can remember details out of my pre-kindergarten time

Not saying all who do drugs or not will experience the exact same but conspicuous there are differences to the average.

I'm aware that alcohol is meant to have some effect but can't find much evidence that cocaine damages memory.

Over last 2 years my alcohol intake has increased rather a lot & done way too much drugs. A few months ago I had a Psychotic episode that was pretty scary. Apparently essentially the amount I had taken over enough time had damaged my brain that it went actually crazy. The world was collapsing in on me and I would see and hear people who were not there. 

Dunno if related to memory but certainly I know long term it has had an impact on my brain. 

I am trying much harder to steer clear of those things now.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

"Lost generation" in America. Ernest Hemingway and the like.

Runs to wikipedia....

Lost.... is the last description that would match to both of them. But the were both rather critical and modern thinking for their time and even in their '60 counted as such in comparison to e.g. '20 or '30.

Such funny names....