Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

And it looks like we’re going to end the day believing negations between Disney and Sony over the future of Spider-man are still being ironed out.    

Yeah, I did see the This Isn't Damage Control, HONEST report from Peter Sciretta, if that's what your referring to.

Not really the thread to go into it. Though, if we want to get all Conspiracy Minded:

This was BEFORE the Matrix news broke as well as the nuclear armageddon going on between Disney and Sony.

So... maybe Matrix will be the most impactful news of the day in terms of what future movies actually look like, even if it certainly got buried in terms of day 1 conversations/attention.

Maybe!  I certainly didn't expect a Matrix 4. Still haven't even caught up on that news fully,

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Hey folks, I had my nose buried deep in some gaming the last few hours.  Any interesting news break today?

*checks*

WOW.  I certainly can't imagine any news topping THIS today!!!! :ohmygod:

Reveal hidden contents

I can top this news. 

We just lost power at work. I’m wandering around with nothing to do. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Those scavengers deserve what will happen to them.

Stealing one century of content.

The nerve.

pffft i wish it was a century of content. netflix has never been good for finding anything made before the 90s here. amazon's a little better thanks to collabing with the BFI and filmbox services (that's how i watched the Mizoguchi movies recently) but even that's a fairly limited library.  

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Yeah, I did see the This Isn't Damage Control, HONEST report from Peter Sciretta, if that's what your referring to.

Not really the thread to go into it. Though, if we want to get all Conspiracy Minded:

This was BEFORE the Matrix news broke as well as the nuclear armageddon going on between Disney and Sony.

Maybe!  I certainly didn't expect a Matrix 4. Still haven't even caught up on that news fully,

Movie websites are the worst especially when it comes to being “first”

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

I can top this news. 

We just lost power at work. I’m wandering around with nothing to do. 

I feel you.  I think something just happened with my well/septic. It’s 9:30 PM and I got brown water. Hopefully I can get it just quickly fixed tomorrow, but I am not amused.   

ETA: 

It could be way worse though. The water in the sink in the kitchen in the sink in the bathroom are fine and clean. It’s not overflowing. It’s just more that my cats are going to be so annoyed because that door is now shut for the night

Edited by captainwondyful
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

That something nasa funded study suggested for decade

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10573-space-mirrors-could-create-earth-like-haven-on-mars/

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/08/terraforming-mars-in-50-years-with-large-orbital-mirrors-bacteria-and-factories.html

Musk is a genius and a scientific, now sure who Doherty is and how is brain even start to calculate the possibility of something like this (I know mine does not know)

https://science.howstuffworks.com/terraforming2.htm

Here are three terraforming methods that have been proposed:

• Large orbital mirrors that will reflect sunlight and heat the Mars surface.
  • Greenhouse gas-producing factories to trap solar radiation.
  • Smashing ammonia-heavy asteroids into the planet to raise the greenhouse gas level.

It is a very common thought out there, specially that giant mirror to propulsate craft (a bit like a solar sail) will have been developed for other reason by then.

Can you explain what is dumb with that ?

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That something nasa funded study suggested for decade

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10573-space-mirrors-could-create-earth-like-haven-on-mars/

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2019/08/terraforming-mars-in-50-years-with-large-orbital-mirrors-bacteria-and-factories.html

Musk is a genius and a scientific, now sure who Doherty is and how is brain even start to calculate the possibility of something like this (I know mine does not know)

https://science.howstuffworks.com/terraforming2.htm

Here are three terraforming methods that have been proposed:

• Large orbital mirrors that will reflect sunlight and heat the Mars surface.
  • Greenhouse gas-producing factories to trap solar radiation.
  • Smashing ammonia-heavy asteroids into the planet to raise the greenhouse gas level.

It is a very common thought out there, specially that giant mirror to propulsate craft (a bit like a solar sail) will have been developed for other reason by then.

Can you explain what is dumb with that ?

From the article you provided, bold my emphasis:

Another use for these large mirrors would be to place them a couple hundred thousand miles from Mars and use the mirrors to reflect the sun's radiation and heat the Martian surface. Scientists have proposed building mylar mirrors that would have a diameter of 250 km (155.34 miles) and cover an area larger than Lake Michigan. These gigantic mirrors would weigh about 200,000 tons, which means they would be far too large to launch from Earth. However, there is the possibility that the mirrors could be constructed from material found in space.

The first problem is that the cost of such an undertaking is going to be insanely high, because the cost of constructing those mirrors on Earth wouldn't include the cost of transporting them to Mars, and the cost of constructing them on Mars doesn't include the cost of building the necessary infrastructure needed to mine the raw materials that would be required and then manufacture them into mirrors. I've yet to find a cost estimate that properly accounts for this. Many focus on only the energy costs of constructing the mirrors, but ignore the enormous costs of setting up the required infrastructure. (Which would still be far more feasible than transporting them to Mars from Earth using existing technologies)

The second problem is that the temperature of Mars is actually one of the most feasible problems to solve; the others (atmospheric composition, radiation) are even more out of reach.

• Like 2

I do not imagine that it is quite impossible with today technology, but it is not an Elon Musk idea or a particularly strange one.

I guess one more possible idea is that they would solar sails type of craft rotated once they reach mars so their sails is used to mirror and kept in place instead of going somewhere , like proposed by the Russians scientific:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1709/1709.05893.pdf

That something that was tested on the night side of the earth in 1993, calculated and hypothesized, modeled, I am not sure I get the crazy uncle reference.

if you can get rockets out to Mars and have easy access to the software of the mass, then more power to you.  

right now I think we can launch multiple rockets per day from different space programs around the world at the most.   

roller coasters require thousands of trials.  

8 minutes ago, Eric! said:

Whyyyyyyyyyy? Noooooooooo!

Other cast members this season: James Van Der Beek (lol), Lamar Odom, Christie Brinkley, one of those Queer Eye guys, Kel of Kenan & Kel. I guess that's not nearly as Z-list as this show usually is these days (though still pretty bottom-of-the-barrel)?

Edited by filmlover