Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

No one watches TV anymore though... 

Has it ever been bigger in the United State ? Netflix really made TV cool again I feel like. Youtube is giant with the young, television consumption could be the worst ever (in term of people loosing the most time ever watching it)

time-spent-video.png?w=680

Look at the buzz surrounding Disney+, TV is still very well alive arguably more than ever.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

@TMP you seen this movie? I honestly think it's one of the best films ever. Everyone who'sseen the Irishman should watch this because its Paquin's best role.

I’ve heard about this film since 2011, it’s been on my watch list for ages. Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and watch it tonight

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMP said:

I’ve heard about this film since 2011, it’s been on my watch list for ages. Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and watch it tonight

Watch the Extended Cut if you can (it's on Amazon). It's 3 hours long but I think its essential to fully understand the film and the sound mixing in it is innovative.

• Like 2

This Melissa "Supergirl" Benoist domestic violence story is making the rounds the past day. How incredibly brave of her. Popular theory going around based on all of the clues she leaves in the video is that the abuser was ex-husband Blake Jenner (the Everybody Wants Some/Edge of Seventeen actor who co-starred with her on Glee during its final seasons). Very disappointing if so.

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This Melissa "Supergirl" Benoist domestic violence story is making the rounds the past day. How incredibly brave of her. Popular theory going around based on all of the clues she leaves in the video is that the abuser was ex-husband Blake Jenner (the Everybody Wants Some/Edge of Seventeen actor who co-starred with her on Glee during its final seasons). Very disappointing if so.

This comparison clip between her recent video and the fake story she told on Jimmy Fallon really shows how terrible it must have been for her to make up some silly story to cover up something so horrifying.

Also its 100% Blake Jenner. He's the only person who's younger than her that she's married and the incident happened in 2016. They were together between 2015 and 2017. Sounds about right.

50 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

This comparison clip between her recent video and the fake story she told on Jimmy Fallon really shows how terrible it must have been for her to make up some silly story to cover up something so horrifying.

Also its 100% Blake Jenner. He's the only person who's younger than her that she's married and the incident happened in 2016. They were together between 2015 and 2017. Sounds about right.

Terrifying.

54 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

When that trashy Netflix series with Renee Zellweger he was on landed earlier this year (sidebar: hopefully whatever awards recognition she picks up this season for Judy will at least get her a better series than that garbage) I thought why he hadn't done anything of note after a good 2016 between the two aforementioned movies aside from splitting up with Benoist. Guess we know the reason now. Sigh.

Edited by filmlover

6 hours ago, Barnack said:

Has it ever been bigger in the United State ? Netflix really made TV cool again I feel like. Youtube is giant with the young, television consumption could be the worst ever (in term of people loosing the most time ever watching it)

I wouldn't include YouTube in this discussion... But yes, people are still watching TV, possibly more than ever. It is live-viewing of television that is "dying", when some of the most successful prime-time network series can't get 10M viewers. It is even worse for younger audiences, the 18-49 demo that is the target of advertisers still paying the bills for most of television.

29 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I wouldn't include YouTube in this discussion...

It is I feel one of the biggest TV station in some demography, everything that is a moving image streamed at distance is Television.

Television: telecommunication medium used for transmitting moving images in monochrome (black and white), or in colour, and in two or three dimensions and sound. 

Live or not, what the screen look like are such small distinction, a bit like black and white too colors or big flat screen 16:9 from smaller 4:3, or before&after everyone has a TiVo device, require some change in the tv type, shake moneytisation model a bit, but not the TV popularity much.

29 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is live-viewing of television

Regressing but far from nobody still doing it, live TV + tivo TV, that could be true for the 13 year's old and some market, but in the USA:

Take for example, traditional TV, which averaged in Q3 2018 (hh:mm):

• 5:31 per day of live TV among Black adults, with an additional 30 minutes of time-shifted TV;
  • 2:45 per day of live TV among Hispanic adults, with an additional 17 minutes of time-shifted TV; and
  • 1:51 per day of live TV among Asian-American adults, with an additional 14 minutes of time-shifted TV.

America is a special TV for sure and people were use to insane 7-8 hours a day stats, but the average black american adult watched over 5 and a half hours of live TV every day at the end of 2018.

Other example, that is almost all pure live TV and has traditional that it get:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nfl-tv-ratings-rise-5-percent-2018-1172505

NBA finals, post Jordan retirement didn't move much either:

ecd75ce20c8e1be9dfc85a9f926105c5.png

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

finally watched Hustlers. Loved Lorene Scafaria's previous film The Meddler so I was happy for her she got a big breakout but i was kinda disappointed in this. fun but also a little messy and rushed. doesn't sell the bond between the main characters especially well so doesn't have the emotional impact it wants to have.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

finally watched Hustlers. Loved Lorene Scafaria's previous film The Meddler so I was happy for her she got a big breakout but i was kinda disappointed in this. fun but also a little messy and rushed. doesn't sell the bond between the main characters especially well so doesn't have the emotional impact it wants to have.

JLO Oscar or not?

I wonder if streaming shows from Apple+ and Disney+ in which the season is shot entirely in advance but released weekly go through some kind of changes with editing and reshoots in later episodes once they start airing. Later episodes could be reshaped based on the response from audience and critics. Like, with The Mandalorian, did they expect that character to become such a sensation? If not, they could increase his appearance in the later episodes. Or in Morning Show's case, that was Apple's big bet but got a mixed response, they could try to fix it. I wonder if they do that. Netflix can't do that because they drop the entire season at once. 

29 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I wonder if streaming shows from Apple+ and Disney+ in which the season is shot entirely in advance but released weekly go through some kind of changes with editing and reshoots in later episodes once they start airing. Later episodes could be reshaped based on the response from audience and critics. Like, with The Mandalorian, did they expect that character to become such a sensation? If not, they could increase his appearance in the later episodes. Or in Morning Show's case, that was Apple's big bet but got a mixed response, they could try to fix it. I wonder if they do that. Netflix can't do that because they drop the entire season at once. 

Nah, with television/streaming production (and even post-production) have completely wrapped by the time episodes air. Whether episodes are released individually or collectively, it doesn’t really matter for that season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw Marriage Story at a local arthouse. I expected to either hate it and find it self-pitying indie bullcrap or like it but with a firm ceiling on that like as a "yep, that's the kind of nice little indie drama I expected." I did NOT expect what I got, which was an absolute astonishing gutpunch of a movie, probably the best of the year and one of the best of the decade. So......yea. Check it out when it hits Netflix, folks.

I figure this is as good a place as any to ask. 

Is there a list or ranking of the largest IMAX screens in the world? I believe the one in Sydney is currently the largest (or will be when it re-opens) but how does Lincoln Square, Metreon and TCL compare to each other? What about screens in other parts of the world?