Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 minute ago, TMP said:

HBO Max is run by a different team than HBO, they said so in the presentation 

I wouldn’t expect any less quality from the new people. If they expect to compete they know they need to put out excellent quality stuff. 

I wonder if certain WB titles like Shameless will not be available on HBO Max since it's licensed to Showtime and I believe Netflix and still on the air. 

Given the partnership with the BBC, I wonder if we'll see some more co-productions, they already have His Dark Materials coming next week but I could envision some non-scripted stuff like a nature documentary. 

3 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Wait, I just saw Glass in the demo. Is the service gonna include recent movies not from WB?

Universal still has a contract with HBO, at least here in the US, that has their movies appear on HBO. The contract is set to expire in 2022, so they probably won't renew and just dump all their new stuff to Peacock. Fox has an HBO contract for until 2022 as well, which is why there's little Fox presence on Disney+ at the moment.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Eric Connor said:

Universal still has a contract with HBO, at least here in the US, that has their movies appear on HBO. The contract is set to expire in 2022, so they probably won't renew and just dump all their new stuff to Peacock. Fox has an HBO contract for until 2022 as well, which is why there's little Fox presence on Disney+ at the moment.

I get the feeling they'll split the Fox content so the more kid oriented stuff goes to Disney+ and the more adult oriented stuff goes to Hulu. 

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

HBO Go and HBO Now subscribers will apparently be given access for free. That's smart.

Makes sense but I suspect they plan to migrate them to HBO Max eventually

Edited by Jonwo

My parents have HBO on their cable package, and their provider is Comcast (I'm embarrassed too), so I guess I'll just freeload off my parents and get Max and Peacock. And hey, I've got money so I'll probably pay for Disney+ myself, with maybe that bundle too, even though I have no use for ESPN+.

Guess I'm part of the problem when it comes to the whole "so much streaming" issue

Just now, Jonwo said:

I get the feeling they'll split the Fox so the more kid oriented stuff goes to Disney+ and the more oriented stuff goes to HBO. 

I don't think they can do that, contractually speaking. More likely, Disney will wait it out for a couple years, and use all the Fox films as a new selling point for "new" content on both Disney+ and Hulu. Can't wait for the FOX-Men to be snuggled next to the MCU-Men in the Marvel tab

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I knew they wouldn't undercut HBO but it does make HBO Now a bit redundant

It is dead I think, at least for now ?, current member will have a free upgrade to Max.

They will probably launch a cheaper option later on (plan for an ad supported tier)

1 minute ago, Eric Connor said:

I don't think they can do that, contractually speaking. More likely, Disney will wait it out for a couple years, and use all the Fox films as a new selling point for "new" content on both Disney+ and Hulu. Can't wait for the FOX-Men to be snuggled next to the MCU-Men in the Marvel tab

I did forget about Hulu which I think would be a better home for Fox films than Disney+

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

It is dead I think, at least for now ?, current member will have a free upgrade to Max.

They will probably launch a cheaper option later on (plan for an ad supported tier)

I think an ad supported HBO Max is a bad idea, does slightly devalue the HBO brand which is about premium content.