Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Lol, if there is one thing Blizzard can still do (mostly) right its their cinematics so that trailer is especially weird(and bad).  Remember that crazy 9 minute announcement trailer for Diablo 4 a few years ago?  That shit was hype AF, so much so that I even considered getting back into gaming for it.  Unfortunately modern Blizzard is nothing like its glory days (1991-2010ish) so it probably won't be all that good.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:35 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

ABC, the NBA league office and the betting app owners have to be crying: from a potential LeBron Lakers vs Boston Celtics showdown, to the Nuggets sweeping their way into the finals to (probably) meet the 8-seed Heat.

The Celtics managed to make the series interesting, only to flop dramatically in the end. Especially embarrassing on their home court.

There's a book coming out next week about toxic/abusive productions in TV and film. The excerpt about Lost is out and the details are pretty grim. Avoid if you're not in the mood for sexism and racist imagery...

Vanity Fair has the whole article (if it's not paywalled for you) with even more info. Lindelof has convenient amnesia but sounds remorseful, Cuse not so much.

Other shows chronicled in "Burn It Down" include SNL, Sleepy Hollow and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

And Elizabeth Holmes, billion dollar fraudster, starts her 11 year sentence today.

The federal prison system does no thave parole. She can get 54 ays a year off for good behavior which amount to roughl one year for every six served, so she will be in Club Fed for at least 9 years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TMP said:

That Lindelof article is immensely disappointing. Really hope he's genuinely changed because some of that stuff's appalling.

SOmetime very creative people are just plain assholes. SOme of the greatest writers, artists, and comoposers who ever lived are people you would not like to have as your next door neighbors.

It never ceases to surprise me people just don't get this.

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

SOmetime very creative people are just plain assholes. SOme of the greatest writers, artists, and comoposers who ever lived are people you would not like to have as your next door neighbors.

yeah, but here is the thing about that — everyone is talented. Everyone is creative. There are tons of creative people, who are not assholes, that you could employ. This just feels like an excuse to excuse bad behavior. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, TMP said:

That Lindelof article is immensely disappointing. Really hope he's genuinely changed because some of that stuff's appalling.

I wonder how much Watchmen and The Leftovers were about him genuinely changing his ways or just wanting the public appearance of being progressive. Like, Joss Whedon was this lauded feminist writer, who was treating women terribly behind the scenes.

Wasn't Lindelof dumped from that Star Wars movie in the last month or two? Maybe Lucasfilm got wind of this exposé and kicked him to the curb.

12 hours ago, dudalb said:

At one point when Lindelof is being interviewed by the author and says he'd rather be known as untalented but decent than a talented monster. The author says it's a false binary, but too many creative types think being a monster is almost a requirement of genius. It's really not, you can be a great artist and a good person to work with. And there are plenty of untalented monsters in the arts who saw the "geniuses" being tyrants and modeled that behavior. It didn't make them any more talented, just bigger and more terrible bullies that unsuspecting people had to endure.

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder how much Watchmen and The Leftovers were about him genuinely changing his ways or just wanting the public appearance of being progressive.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dudalb said:

There are just as many great creative people out there who aren't abusive. There's no excuse for this type of male behavior to be tolerated in any workplace.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Cap said:

yeah, but here is the thing about that — everyone is talented. Everyone is creative. There are tons of creative people, who are not assholes, that you could employ. This just feels like an excuse to excuse bad behavior. 

We just have to disagree. Some people are more talented then others. Not tyring to excuse the bad behavior, just pointing out that some very creative people are often Alpha Hotels.

Wierd thing is I am not a huge Lindolf fan. He has a mixed record, some good scripts, some bad ones, and for a long time he had a very bad "third act" problem.  I don't think he is the genius some people here think he is.

This toxic set convo reminds me of the story from a few years back when Julianne Moore threatened to quit (the now completely forgotten otherwise) Seventh Son after a crew member made disparaging remakes to an unknown-at-the-time-of-filming Alicia Vikander in the midst of making the movie. A true certified Queen.

Julianne Moore isn’t just the MVP when the cameras are rolling. Alicia Vikander reveals in her new Vogue cover story that Moore came to her defense after a man made a crude joke towards Vikander on the set of the 2014 fantasy film “Seventh Son.” The Sergei Bodrov-directed movie featured both Moore and Vikander in supporting roles. After a man said something inappropriate to Vikander, Moore jumped in and yelled at him.

“I was really embarrassed, and I would have just laughed it off,” Vikander says. “But Julianne turned to him and said, ‘If you ever do that again, I’m walking out of here and I’m not coming back.’ She was just, like, ‘Don’t you f—ing say that again.’ It showed me that she had the power. And that meant so much to me.”

Julianne Moore Defended Alicia Vikander Against Male Co-Star – IndieWire

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dudalb said:

We just have to disagree. Some people are more talented then others.

Perhaps, but this isn’t linked to them being shitty people. And there’s enough solidly creative people in the industry that we don’t need to continue supporting the tired idea that brilliance is derived from being a miserable toxic asshole (and I say that as someone who’s really enjoyed the Lindelof shows I’ve seen). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I admit I know very little about Lindelof as a person despite having seen many of his projects (a commentary on how little the average person knows - or even cares - about the folks behind the cameras? Maybe, perhaps) but admit it's unfortunate that those were allegedly the attitudes of the Lost staff back in the day. At least it sounds like he regrets not doing more since it's probably not a secret that those sort of attitudes were (likely) still prevalent in Hollywood even in the 2000s (which weren't that long ago).

Speaking of on-set hostility, they just announced Kim Cattrall will be making a single cameo appearance in the Sex and the City reboot/revival series (which I don't watch, that's one show that really should be left in its original era) in which she won't be sharing the screen with SJP or the others since it's a phone call scene. I hope she got 7 figures for this lol.

Kim Cattrall Will Play Samantha Jones on 'And Just Like That' Season 2 - Variety