Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

You listed them all already. :lol: I mean, a glorified karaoke middle-aged ABBA sing-off made 600m a decade ago and spawned a sequel. ABBA. 

Most of the other names you mention have been doing monster numbers worldwide (albums sold, songs in circulation, number of iconic songs, etc) for decades longer than Queen. I’m not trying to take anything away from them, but have some perspective. 

Songs become classics with the test of time and through their ability to cross into pop culture. We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions for example have been used in every single big sport event the last decades, ads, movies, tv series. They are more recognisable and popular songs than almost anything about Beatles or Abba among younger folks.

The only person I am debating is Michael Jackson who is in the same league but really nobody else,

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Songs become classics with the test of time and through their ability to cross into pop culture. We Will Rock You or We Are The Champions for example have been used in every single big sport event the last decades, ads, movies, tv series. They are more recognisable and popular songs than almost anything about Beatles or Abba among younger folks.

The only person I am debating is Michael Jackson who is in the same league but really nobody else,

REALLY?  C'mon...there are way more songs "in the popular culture" than just Queen and MJ songs...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No. Literally name an artist that has more classics than Queen. We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Don't Stop Me Now, Bohemian Rhapsody, Another One Bites The Dust, I Want To Break Free, The Show Must Go On, those are all songs that will play and ANYBODY will know. There is no other act with so many classic, instantly recognisable tracks. The crossover appeal among generations is simply sensational.

Like honestly, which other biopic could do 900m?Only Michael Jackson I can debate.

beatles-wallpaper-the-beatles-16168642-1

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

You listed them all already. :lol: I mean, a glorified karaoke middle-aged ABBA sing-off made 600m a decade ago and spawned a sequel. ABBA. 

Most of the other names you mention have been doing monster numbers worldwide (albums sold, songs in circulation, number of iconic songs, etc) for decades longer than Queen. I’m not trying to take anything away from them, but have some perspective. 

ABBA is the greatest shit the world has ever seen. Fight me if you dare!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Napoleon said:

Madonna and Michael Jackson have more recognizable songs than Queen. Bohemian Rhapsody only became popular worldwide because of Suicide Squad in 2016. I've never even heard it before that.

i'd never even heard of what a crocodile was before i saw one in suicide squad. pretty sure that movie invented boomerangs too??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Knock It Off 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Amazon has bought Shia LaBeouf's semi-autobiographical Honey Boy (also starring Lucas Hedges and Noah Jupe) for $5M.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazon-closing-a-deal-shia-labeoufs-honey-boy-1179478

It's frustrating that they sell the rights internationally instead of putting their original movies on Prime Video. Manchester By the Sea is on HBO Go here. I don't know how they paid $1 billion for the Lord Of the Rings tv show.

I'm not so confident in Disney+, I think it could be a big disappointment. The stuff Disney studios produce for TV and streaming are terrible and unsuccessful, and the people who created the exceptions already left them (Shonda Rhymes and Damon Lindelof). The Star Wars brand ran its course, and so are the legacy of Disney's ancient animations.

I don't think these people are able to deliver successful original content for this streaming service. So let's see how many people will want to pay for the old stuff they already saw over and over on other streaming services, especially when Netflix is giving them interesting new content every Friday.