Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Bit late to the party, but I just found out that as of late Dec, Bluesky is finally viewable without an account!

*does a random check*

My my, looks actually rather decent-ish.

*does another random check*

Wow.  Phil Foglio got famous over on Bluesky.  This is a Worlds Collide situation that I didn't see coming!

(I'd be impressed if even five active users of this forum know of his work)

((and, no, being the host of the Annual SDCC Masquerade doesn't count j1aUlyv.gif ))

• Like 1

Saw this and laughed:

She wasn't cited in the article, but one thing I always liked about Ash Crossan is that she was able to straddle the line between playful banter online and knowing what lines to not cross when interviewing folks.  She has had an occasional slipup (see some of her interviews with Pedro Pascal), but she also knows when to reign it in.  She is really good at her craft though, especially with taking the time to actually try to connect with people she's interviewing, and it shows.

A lot of the people following in her footsteps or just doing similar things independently, however...  Well, they look at the "work the thirst" angle without making the actual human connection needed to make it not awkward as all hell.

Add in the parasocial angle (which the article barely touched on only in passing), and well, we get a feedback loop of Really Embarrassing Moments.  Not sure how tenable this whole situation is, really.  Kinda feel like it is setting itself up for some sort of implosion.  Or at least Messy Reckoning when various stars really start to comment on how uncomfortable all of this is making some of them (and I'm sure it is).

I know there's been the occasional blowback (ironically enuf, Crossan was at the center of one, if memory serves).  But the blowbacks haven't been fierce enough to stop this sort of thirst trap spiral from continuing apace.  

(more proof, if she needed it, of @BoxOfficeFangrl's theorem about how a decent chunk of Online Gen Z is more than a little neo-puritanish when it comes to public consumption of the arts while at the same time needing some sort of outlet for their pentup... desires)

((must admit, I also laughed at the "touch some actual ass" line 😄))

• Like 1

Streaming isn't that profitable, the operating costs are huge and the market is very saturated / diluted right now. 

For sure all the big streaming platforms were expecting a huge incremental growth that didn't came. 

Investing billions on mediocre flops that no one asked for (Rings of power) isn't going to help either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Saw this and laughed:

She wasn't cited in the article, but one thing I always liked about Ash Crossan is that she was able to straddle the line between playful banter online and knowing what lines to not cross when interviewing folks.  She has had an occasional slipup (see some of her interviews with Pedro Pascal), but she also knows when to reign it in.  She is really good at her craft though, especially with taking the time to actually try to connect with people she's interviewing, and it shows.

A lot of the people following in her footsteps or just doing similar things independently, however...  Well, they look at the "work the thirst" angle without making the actual human connection needed to make it not awkward as all hell.

Add in the parasocial angle (which the article barely touched on only in passing), and well, we get a feedback loop of Really Embarrassing Moments.  Not sure how tenable this whole situation is, really.  Kinda feel like it is setting itself up for some sort of implosion.  Or at least Messy Reckoning when various stars really start to comment on how uncomfortable all of this is making some of them (and I'm sure it is).

I know there's been the occasional blowback (ironically enuf, Crossan was at the center of one, if memory serves).  But the blowbacks haven't been fierce enough to stop this sort of thirst trap spiral from continuing apace.  

(more proof, if she needed it, of @BoxOfficeFangrl's theorem about how a decent chunk of Online Gen Z is more than a little neo-puritanish when it comes to public consumption of the arts while at the same time needing some sort of outlet for their pentup... desires)

((must admit, I also laughed at the "touch some actual ass" line 😄))

I saw that interview with Ayo Edebiri on the red carpet the next day and felt totally embarrassed for both her and Jeremy Allen White when she was being asked about his recent CK campaign. :lol: I've always had no patience for these dumb shows motivated entirely by attention like Extra.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Belakor said:

Streaming isn't that profitable, the operating costs are huge and the market is very saturated / diluted right now. 

For sure all the big streaming platforms were expecting a huge incremental growth that didn't came. 

Investing billions on mediocre flops that no one asked for (Rings of power) isn't going to help either.

Yeah you can get an android box for 10 bucks a month or subscribe to 3-4 services for 10 bucks each

9 hours ago, Belakor said:

I would not go that far, but yes, the studios have had problems adjusting to streaming becoming mainstream.

But no going back, the cat is out of the bad, streaming is here to stay, and it clearly has taken a huge chunck of theater ticke sales. Studios need to adapt new Strategies, things are never going back to the way they once were.

I agree that they are spending too much on made for streaming shows. There is a reason why budgets for TV shows have always been a lot less then for theatrical movies.

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Amf Fox News accuses Taylor Swift of being a govenmment (read Biden) asset in a crackpot conspiracy theory.

I don't get how anybody with any brains can take Fox News seriously.

Pinterest

Even after they just had to pay nearly $800M over defamation claims and severed ties with one of their biggest stars in the process.

Also, thinly veiled jealousy that they don't have a superstar even 1/100th as influential on today's generation of future and current young voters like Swift.

10 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

What ridiculous network drama will step up take its memeworthy place?

Whatever's lucky enough to last more than one season in this climate. The only network TV show I watch at all these days is Abbott Elementary.

• Like 1