Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 hours ago, emoviefan said:

I wonder if Ron Howard regrets directing that shitty Netflix Hillbilly Elegy movie. Just saying.

He has made a number of statements that the guy he sees in politics is not the guy he knew during the maiing of the movie.

Vance is pure oppotunist, he realy attacked Trump back in 2016. He and Trump have one thing in common, both care about nothhing but themsleves.

33 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Legend. :(

To see just how talented he was, people nowadays might not know he was a major comic performer back in the 60s, known for his deadpan, borderline absurdist take on everyday society.  One of the first things that capitulated him to fame were a series of sketches where he relayed one-sided phone conversations about how strange common place things were when one stepped back from them and really stopped to look at them.

One of the more well known ones is his sketch about his re-imagining the introduction of tobacco to England:

The above is a pretty definitive sample of his style of comedy that I'm talking about.  Catapulted him into The Bob Newhart Show, and the rest is, as they say, history.

(including one of the best TV series finales of ALL TIME)

Edited by Porthos

56 minutes ago, Eric Twister said:

Legend. :(

That hurts. Newhart had a unique comedy style. A lot of people did not get it because it was so dry, but I loved it.

I sitll think the famous final episode of his second TV series is one of \thebest final episodes ever.

In the final scene,he wakes up in bed with his wife from his first TV series, and the whole second series was just a dream. it does not sound all that great, but beleive me it really worked.

Edited by dudalb

Find A24’s release strategy for their films outside of the 4 or 5 per year they give real marketing campaigns to be very frustrating. Would’ve loved to watch Janet Planet in theaters but only heard about it already being out a few days before it left my local cinema and I had no time to fit it in my schedule

AL West W L Pct GB Home Away Streak RS RA Diff L10 Win Championship
51 46 .526 0.0 28-21 23-25 W-1 457 408 49 6-4
52 47 .525 0.0 30-19 22-28 L-4 379 360 19 4-6

1Z8c3Rd.gif

@Deep Wang @XXR & Friends @MrPink

(yes yes, "They're baaaaack" is from 'geist 2 and this is from 1.  I liked this gif better j1aUlyv.gif)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:
AL West W L Pct GB Home Away Streak RS RA Diff L10 Win Championship
51 46 .526 0.0 28-21 23-25 W-1 457 408 49 6-4
52 47 .525 0.0 30-19 22-28 L-4 379 360 19 4-6

1Z8c3Rd.gif

@Deep Wang @XXR & Friends @MrPink

(yes yes, "They're baaaaack" is from 'geist 2 and this is from 1.  I liked this gif better j1aUlyv.gif)

Yup. The Mariners have been a thoroughly demoralizing hang for about the last month or so, so this outcome kinda felt inevitable.

29 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Yup. The Mariners have been a thoroughly demoralizing hang for about the last month or so, so this outcome kinda felt inevitable.

Still a long way to go, and the 'stros are vulnerable like they haven't been recently, but... yeah.  Making it competitive has seemed pretty inevitable for a while.  Where it goes from here?  Only one way to find out.

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

Don''t even get me started on the mariners. Ugh.

On 7/19/2024 at 11:47 PM, emoviefan said:

Don''t even get me started on the mariners. Ugh.

If they could just hit the ball, they’d be one of the scariest teams in the game with that pitching staff. But that would require us to win more than 54% of our games, so I guess it can’t be part of the plan.

20 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

If they could just hit the ball, they’d be one of the scariest teams in the game with that pitching staff. But that would require us to win more than 54% of our games, so I guess it can’t be part of the plan.

Exactly. And as long as people keep coming to T-mobile park Management is fine with things. Will see in these next few weeks 

NOT THE 2024 US PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION THREAD.

(but good, if inevitable I think, news — if only because the current situation was untenable)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

(but good, if inevitable I think, news — if only because the current situation was untenable)

With Biden, I was confident of an EC win even with a PV loss and third parties pulling votes. With Harris I'm confident she will win the PV and kill third party votes but will need to hustle a lot for that EC win - mainly WI and AZ.

Also, Roy Cooper for VP to win NC.

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I mean we have talked about real world and political events here. And I see no reason to not do it if people act chill over it, especially major stuff like this.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With Biden, I was confident of an EC win even with a PV loss and third parties pulling votes. With Harris I'm confident she will win the PV and kill third party votes but will need to hustle a lot for that EC win - mainly WI and AZ.

Also, Roy Cooper for VP to win NC.

Why would you think Biden would win like that? I think this analysis is completely off. Biden would have lost every state that had a less than 55% voting record for him in 2020, imo. VA, ME, NH, MN, NE-2, MI, NV, PA, GA, WI, and AZ for Trump.

As for what Harris will do: I don't know. I don't think it's immediately apparent she will be the nominee either?