Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Alrighty folks, I'm just gonna say it: Call Me By Your Name is creepy. I hate to ever be on the same side social conservatives are taking, but it's true. It's obviously not that it's a gay love story - that part is great and we need more of that on screen. It's the age. Armie Hammer looks like he is about 45, and Chalamet looks 17. It looks straight up like the story of a grown ass man trying to fuck a teenage boy. Hammer is so huge and grown up looking, and Chalamet looks like a malnourished kid. The scenes where they're holding each other and shit....weird man. Also, people keep saying "Well, in the story, he's supposed to be 24 and Elio is 17!" So????? What the hell? I'm 24! If anyone I knew my age, man or woman, gay or straight, was dating a 17 year old, I would ask them what in the fuck they are doing. 

I just don't get why (white guys who loved Carol) progressive film Twitter has made this the film to champion. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Alrighty folks, I'm just gonna say it: Call Me By Your Name is creepy. I hate to ever be on the same side social conservatives are taking, but it's true. It's obviously not that it's a gay love story - that part is great and we need more of that on screen. It's the age. Armie Hammer looks like he is about 45, and Chalamet looks 17. It looks straight up like the story of a grown ass man trying to fuck a teenage boy. Hammer is so huge and grown up looking, and Chalamet looks like a malnourished kid. The scenes where they're holding each other and shit....weird man. Also, people keep saying "Well, in the story, he's supposed to be 24 and Elio is 17!" So????? What the hell? I'm 24! If anyone I knew my age, man or woman, gay or straight, was dating a 17 year old, I would ask them what in the fuck they are doing. 

I just don't get why (white guys who loved Carol) progressive film Twitter has made this the film to champion. 

I haven't seen CMBYN yet, but I have zero issue saying age gaps are creepy as fuck coming from personal experience. The older person in a relationship with a significant age gap is almost always immature as hell.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, filmlover said:

Have social conservatives even been bothered to go after Call Me by Your Name though? Perhaps they were too busy making Three Billboards the target of awards season this year.

i think the liberals are the ones dogpiling 3 billboards dude. you're right though that nobody cares about call me by your name except horny meth boy stans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Have social conservatives even been bothered to go after Call Me by Your Name though? Perhaps they were too busy making Three Billboards the target of awards season this year.

Huh? Isn't Three Billboards the movie that social conservatives love? Tree is the biggest champion of it on these boards, for the same reasons all the social cons love it - it's really dumb and bad about race. 

And yea I saw some dumb ass op ed in the National Review that was against Call Me By Your Name on homophobic grounds. I guess it didn't really warrant a rant from me it's just cognitive dissonance for me as an unabashed LGBT rights supporting loonie progressive to have been weirded out by this movie so I'm working those thoughts out in real time. 

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think the liberals are the ones dogpiling 3 billboards dude. you're right though that nobody cares about call me by your name except horny meth boy stans.

Coolio beats me to my point again because he knows how to keep his posts to less than a half page rant. Curse you, brain! 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Whatever. I saw nothing "creepy" about Elio and Oliver's relationship.

I don't know man. Maybe it's just because I'm 24 right now but if you took a poll of pretty much everyone in my age/friend group, progressive as it gets, I think 95 percent of them would not be okay with someone our age dating a 17 year old. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't know man. Maybe it's just because I'm 24 right now but if you took a poll of pretty much everyone in my age/friend group, progressive as it gets, I think 95 percent of them would not be okay with someone our age dating a 17 year old. 

But they weren't "dating?" They keep their fling between themselves (or at least believe they are - Elio's parents are obviously clued in as to what's happening between them) the whole time. Besides, the story is told entirely from Elio's POV and he's the one who initiates their romance by finally hinting to Oliver (who we end knowing little about) that he has feelings for him. I really fail to see a controversy here and am not surprised none took off.

Edited by filmlover

21 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I am 21 and have been dating a 16 year old girl. Wot U fink bout dat?

Just now, filmlover said:

But they weren't "dating?" They keep their fling between themselves (or at least believe they are - Elio's parents are obviously clued in as to what's happening between them) the whole time. Besides, the story is told entirely from Elio's POV and he's the one who initializes their romance by finally hinting to Oliver (who we end knowing little about) that he has feelings for him. I really fail to see a controversy here and am not surprised none took off.

Oh you're right, morally its fine to have sex with teenagers as long as you aren't "dating" and it's only a fling! :sparta:

I don't agree with what @Cmasterclay says but that seems like an odd response filmlover. Why does it matter if its a date or a fling?

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But they weren't "dating?" They keep their fling between themselves (or at least believe they are - Elio's parents are obviously clued in as to what's happening between them) the whole time. Besides, the story is told entirely from Elio's POV and he's the one who initiates their romance by finally hinting to Oliver (who we end knowing little about) that he has feelings for him. I really fail to see a controversy here and am not surprised none took off.

lol i'm not even on clay's team either but this is a bad defense. it's ok because the kid initiates it?????? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

But they weren't "dating?" They keep their fling between themselves (or at least believe they are - Elio's parents are obviously clued in as to what's happening between them) the whole time. Besides, the story is told entirely from Elio's POV and he's the one who initializes their romance by finally hinting to Oliver (who we end knowing little about) that he has feelings for him. I really fail to see a controversy here and am not surprised none took off.

I mean, I've had more than one friend point out to me that it's a little weird that the dad wasn't upset at all that his 24 year old TA he hired was boning his teenage son. I think that the book explores it internally from Elio's perspective, but the movie doesn't give any sense of his internal monologue or whether he has agency or anything. I'm not at all saying the filmmaking is without merit or that people who like it are creepy or anything like that, alot of my favorite film thinkers absolutely love it. I just, currently being a 24 year old, thought it was weird. If someone 17 tried to have sex with me, I would...say no?

This is a good article to sum up the complicated feelings I have.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2017/11/08/the_ethics_of_call_me_by_your_name_s_age_gap_sexual_relationship_explored.html#lf_comment=750754294

Edited by Cmasterclay