That One Girl

BlacKkKlansman | August 10th, 2018 | Spike Lee directing | Adam Driver, John David Washington

10 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Really good. Very Spike Lee (both good and bad in my estimation). Ending will leave you shook. My theater was dead silent. Will rustle some jimmies for sure.

Jeff Wells is already writing a whiny hit piece. :bop:

But in all seriousness, how's the tracking? 

Edited by Valonqar

http://www.thewrap.com/blackkklansman-looks-to-turn-cannes-success-into-box-office-dollars/

Focus is so confident in “BlacKkKlansman” that it is releasing the film on approximately 1,500 screens, a considerable jump from previous estimates of 500-1,000 screens on opening weekend.

Prior to that expanded count, independent analysts projected “BlacKkKlansman” to open at $9-10 million, a better showing than last August’s prestige release, Annapurna’s “Detroit,” which needed 3,007 screens to get its $7 million opening. It would also be roughly on par with “The Debt,” which made $9.9 million for Focus in 2011 from 1,826 screens. That was Focus’ best-ever opening for a film on less than 2,000 screens, a milestone “BlacKkKlansman” might top thanks to the extra screens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gamera said:

Did you expect anything different given the subject matter?

And if there are any anvil-to-the-head-subtle Trump slams, that's catnip for critics.

yeah that's the only reason why this movie is getting great reviews. It has nothing to do with having a great screenplay, great producers, in a veteran director and a great cast.

i mean the movie is pretty blunt about this stuff. some of the not so subtle references to contemporary politics are the parts that don't work for me

Spoiler

and when the movie stops for ten minutes to let you know birth of a nation... is no good!

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Inside Man one of the best adult thrillers of the 2000s what up! Criminally underrated movie.

For having seen it for the first time last year or in 2016, it did hold up very well.

6 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also I think this is doing 100m domestic.

That will stop the always negative on movie financial potential, Spike Lee never got to 100m, not even with Denzel, not even with Denzel in a very good thriller movie.

Focus Feature never reached 100m either.

Any movie in the 2010 that didn't had a Christmas release that reached 100m from a 10-15m start semi-wide type ?

30 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i mean the movie is pretty blunt about this stuff. some of the not so subtle references to contemporary politics are the parts that don't work for me

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed. There's some stuff way too on the nose. It would have just been better if they had tied into the contemporary stuff just with the ending.

Spoiler

Although the "America First" chant was well done (since that was something they really did)

26 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I've seen a handful of "uneven" reactions, which is par for the course with Spike. But it can be uneven and still good on the whole.

Pretty much this. It's Spike Lee, a lot of his stylistic choices aren't my favorite plus the stuff that Coolio was talking about, but the good stuff in this is really excellent.

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

This is an immature throwaway joke, but I love it and it summarizes why Denzel is the GOAT. Any other actor ever, it would have been juvenile, or awkward, or try-hard, or flat out creepy. But Denzel nails it- so much charisma and easy swag. Truly the GOAT baby.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

This is an immature throwaway joke, but I love it and it summarizes why Denzel is the GOAT. Any other actor ever, it would have been juvenile, or awkward, or try-hard, or flat out creepy. But Denzel nails it- so much charisma and easy swag. Truly the GOAT baby.

clive owen's "i'm not mad" laugh is the best part of this scene tho.

• Like 6