That One Girl

BlacKkKlansman | August 10th, 2018 | Spike Lee directing | Adam Driver, John David Washington

15 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

I’m glad people are finally coming around to realize that Birth of a Nation (old one) is a trash movie, one of the all-time worst.

In 11th grade American History I wrote an 8 page paper on how the film was racist trash responsible for restarting the KKK and perpetuation negative stereotypes of the black male and that despite it's supposed technical achievement deserved no place in the modern discussion of great cinema. This was like 9 years ago too.  I got a 97 lmao. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, ban1o said:

In 11th grade American History I wrote an 8 page paper on how the film was racist trash responsible for restarting the KKK and perpetuation negative stereotypes of the black male and that despite it's supposed technical achievement deserved no place in the modern discussion of great cinema. This was like 9 years ago too.  I got a 97 lmao. 

Yeah, I’ve read all of the reviews on why we should regard it and Triumph of the Will as great cinema because if you ignore the reprehensible trash content its ‘masterful filmmaking’.

While I’m fine with studying evil propaganda to learn how it was effective, it still should never be regarded as anything less than evil propaganda.

Somebody else would have made that technical achievement had The Birth of the Nation not been made, and probably not as racist as that movie.  I ultimately think if the message of a movie serves an evil cause, then it makes the movie irredeemable despite any technical qualities.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jessie said:

this looks like it should be a comedy. i hope its as entertaining as one

It has comedy in it mostly in the first 1/2 of the film and I think you can probably submit it as a comedy for the Golden Globes and it wouldn't get much blowback.

Despite a shaky opening 15 minutes or so, the film takes off and provides an entertaining time at the cinema. It also delivers two exceptionally powerful sequences (one near the end and one at the very end). The MAGAts won't like the film but fuck them. 

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 5

On 8/10/2018 at 8:40 AM, Ethan Hunt said:

It's not quite as good as Detroit. Real strong though

I liked Detroit, my brother hated it. I think despite both being based on true stories, Detroit is a far more depressing and upsetting story than this. Not that the Klan haven’t done terrible things but this and the truth behind it makes a mockery of their hatred. Detroit was more a study of how wicked people can be when they abuse the power handed to them or look the other way (when the ones meant to protect & serve act to terrorize the community). Despite racial themes the movies themselves should feel different

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 5:19 AM, ban1o said:

Did it really influence the KKK?

an interesting note that i didn't notice until i read a review pointing it out is that the cross cutting technique that birth of a nation is most famous for revolutionizing is most prominently used in this film in the scene criticizing birth of a nation.

• Like 3

Spike Lee is the ultimate american :

- Make movies with a social conscious  only film teachers &  critics go see.

- Became filty rich as a commercials director for the Man and a stupid lawsuit.

An example to live by.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Knock It Off 7

12 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

an interesting note that i didn't notice until i read a review pointing it out is that the cross cutting technique that birth of a nation is most famous for revolutionizing is most prominently used in this film in the scene criticizing birth of a nation.

Without getting into spoilers, I read a review that highlighted this crosscutting technique was also used to highlight the inaccuracy in Trump’s “Both sides” comment during Charlottesville.  

Probably the the most effective moment in the film looking back.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Spike Lee is the ultimate american :

- Make movies with a social conscious  only film teachers &  critics go see.

- Became filty rich as a commercials director for the Man and a stupid lawsuit.

An example to live by.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Like 8