Alli

WEEKEND Thread | 'Jigsaw' -16.2M; TYFYS- 3.7M; Suburbicon- 2.8M

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Just USA not even full domestic, you are probably right, the tax credit program was filled under Suburbicon, LLC not under paramount picture:

http://film.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/CFC-Approved-Projects-List.pdf

Unlike wikipedia IMDB do not list paramount under production companies, could be an independant movie:

Production Companies

huahua media is a paramount picture-cofinancier of their slate too.

Damn, I never knew this. Apparently Daddy's Home 2 was financed solely by Gary Sanchez unlike the first, so Paramount should make a nice profit there at least.

a lot of small movies are bombing this year

Detroit

Logan Lucky

mother

Battle of the Sexes

Professor Marston

Only the Brave

The Snowman

Suburbicon

looks like even a small budget can't save an unappealing movie

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Damn, I never knew this. Apparently Daddy's Home 2 was financed solely by Gary Sanchez unlike the first, so Paramount should make a nice profit there at least.

That would usually be the other way around (less paramount invest in something, less profit they can make and less loss if it flop, when you reduce your risk you reduce your gain)

It would be strange for Gary Sanchez to go 100% on a big movie like this, IMDB has it :

Production Companies

Seem like the Chinesse paramount partner and paramount themselve did pitch in, no ? What is the source for Sanchez producing that movie alone ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Poor Julianne Moore and Oscar Isaac. 

Won't hurt them one bit cause they are fine character actors while the movie was sold as a George Clooney movie (even though he's a director his name was everywhere cause Hollywood still think he's a draw :wacko:). He even released pictures of his twins (does anyone care?) as a lead-in to his new movie hype. :rofl:

@WrathOfHan happy friday:

11x:

Coco: Beauty and the Beast, Beauty and the Beast Round 2, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast 1991, Mulan, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Tangled, The Stray, My Little Pony: The Movie, Brave

10x:

Pitch Perfect 3: Baby Driver, Despicable Me 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes 4K, The Big Sick, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip, Battle of the Sexes, Happy Death Day

Justice League: Dunkirk IMAX, Wonder Woman Round 3, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, Detroit, Dunkirk Round 2, It, The Hitman’s Bodyguard, Blade Runner, It Round 2, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

8x:

Murder on the Orient Express: Wonder Woman, It Comes At Night, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, It, Blade Runner 2049, American Made, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

7x:

Ferdinand: The Boss Baby, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul, Captain Underpants, Cars 3, Despicable Me 3, The Emoji Movie, My Little Pony: The Movie

Daddy’s Home 2: Transformers: The Last Knight, War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, The Big Sick Round 2, Girls Trip, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Flatliners, My Little Pony: The Movie

5x:

A Bad Moms Christmas: The Big Sick, Atomic Blonde, Annabelle: Creation, Girls Trip, It

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Free Fire, A Ghost Story, Good Time, Wind River, Battle of the Sexes

4x:

Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Dunkirk IMAX

Thor: Ragnarok: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 Round 2, Wonder Woman Round 3, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Thank You for Your Service: A Ghost Story, The Glass Castle, The Dark Tower, American Made

Suburbicon: Good Time, Wind River, mother!, American Made

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Homecoming Round 2, The LEGO Ninjago Movie, Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Olaf’s Frozen Adventure: The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast 1991, Mulan, Brave

3x:

Death Wish: Detroit, Annabelle: Creation, Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D

Molly’s Game: Logan Lucky, mother!, American Made

Ready Player One: It, Blade Runner 2049, It Round 2

Wonder: The Glass Castle, The Stray, My Little Pony: The Movie

Darkest Hour: Atomic Blonde, Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

Annihilation: Blade Runner 2049, Happy Death Day, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

2x:

Deadpool 2: Logan, Logan Round 2

The Shape of Water: War for the Planet of the Apes Round 2, mother!

Black Panther: The Hitman’s Bodyguard, mother!

The Star: The Emoji Movie, My Little Pony: The Movie

Downsizing: mother!, Battle of the Sexes

Polaroid: Wind River, Happy Death Day

Father Figures: American Made, Happy Death Day

Pacific Rim: Uprising: Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

Roman J. Israel Esq.: Blade Runner 2049, Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

1x:

The Greatest Showman: Despicable Me 3

A Wrinkle in Time: Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Call Me by Your Name: Brigsby Bear

Novitiate: Brigsby Bear

Forever My Girl: Megan Leavey

Alpha: Dunkirk Round 2

Proud Mary: Girls Trip

The Current War: Wind River

Paddington 2: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

Isle of Dogs: The LEGO Ninjago Movie

The Commuter: American Made

All the Money in the World: American Made

Tomb Raider: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Red Sparrow: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

Super Troopers 2: Kingsman: The Golden Circle

The Man Who Invented Christmas: The Stray

Duck Duck Goose: My Little Pony: The Movie

Keep Watching: Happy Death Day

Maze Runner: The Death Cure: Happy Death Day

Insidious: The Last Key: Happy Death Day

12 Strong: The Declassified True Story of the Horse Soldiers: Blade Runner 2049 Round 2

• Thanks 1

Just now, Blankments said:

@WrathOfHan happy friday:

Reveal hidden contents

Will do my update later after I see Snowman and OTB. Did you ever get the Jigsaw trailer? :jeb!: 

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That would usually be the other way around (less paramount invest in something, less profit they can make and less loss if it flop, when you reduce your risk you reduce your gain)

It would be strange for Gary Sanchez to go 100% on a big movie like this, IMDB has it :

Production Companies

Seem like the Chinesse paramount partner and paramount themselve did pitch in, no ? What is the source for Sanchez producing that movie alone ?

https://www.varietyinsight.com/print_featurefilm_releases.php

11-10-2017 trackphoto_131770_1504715232.jpg
DADDY'S HOME 2
Paramount Pictures
----------------
Gary Sanchez Productions
Paramount Pictures

There isn't a sole financier listed on Variety's chart, but Wikipedia and IMDB as you said only list Paramount as a distributor.

• Like 1

I can legit see Suburbicon get an F Cinemascore. This thing is gonna have a single digit total. The controversy with Damon and Clooney will certainly not help.

I legit feel bad for Paramount, though. Everything they had this year is floundering, and Downsizing probably won’t set the world on fire (though it still looks cool). Here hoping 2018 turns the tide for them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Detroit

Logan Lucky

mother

Battle of the Sexes

Professor Marston

Only the Brave

Suburbicon

even good appealing movie like the founder, you can add to that list (some will be medium movies)

Lost city of Z

Cure for wellness

Patti Cake$

Terminator 2 3D

Personal Shopper

A Ghost Story

Free Fire

The wall

Collide

Trainspotting 2

The Salesman

Tulip Fever

My Cousin Rachel

Colossal

Stronger

The Book of Henry

Gold

The Space Between Us

etc....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Detroit

Logan Lucky

mother

Battle of the Sexes

Professor Marston

Only the Brave

Suburbicon

To be fair to those movies they bombed for different reasons and most of them had a bad release strategy problem. Logan Lucky had a clusterfuck marketing and stupid release date against Assassin's Bodyguard (another comedy). Detroit is a movie that should have gone the festival route and changed its name ( since it was mostly about Algiers Hotel, people took offense with the title that hinted at something bigger) but the studio thought they had Comption 2.0 on their hands or something? Mother! was just too extreme and buzz killed it otherwise it had good tracking before reactions started to pour in. Battle of Sexes expanded too fast. 

I'm not denying that all had less appeal than their studios imagined but there were other factors that hurt them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

There isn't a sole financier listed on Variety's chart, but Wikipedia and IMDB as you said only list Paramount as a distributor.

Ok I think I misread you when you said:

Apparently Daddy's Home 2 was financed solely by Gary Sanchez

I thought you meant Paramount didn't participate in is financing, now I am not sure what you did mean by that.

2 minutes ago, spaghetti! said:

I can legit see Suburbicon get an F Cinemascore. This thing is gonna have a single digit total. The controversy with Damon and Clooney will certainly not help.

I legit feel bad for Paramount, though. Everything they had this year is floundering, and Downsizing probably won’t set the world on fire (though it still looks cool). Here hoping 2018 turns the tide for them.

If Father Figures wasn't coming out over Christmas, Downsizing would've had an advantage being the only R-rated opener for the holiday. Father Figures is guaranteed to have shit reviews, but with Downsizing's mixed reception, both will cancel each other out and only make like 30-40M

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

Ok I think I misread you when you said:

Apparently Daddy's Home 2 was financed solely by Gary Sanchez

I thought you meant Paramount didn't participate in is financing, now I am not sure what you did mean by that.

Wikipedia says only Gary Sanchez Productions financed this :lol: 

If Father Figures wasn't coming out over Christmas, Downsizing would've had an advantage being the only R-rated opener for the holiday. Father Figures is guaranteed to have shit reviews, but with Downsizing's mixed reception, both will cancel each other out and only make like 30-40M

I think Paramount was also counting on it being their big OC - mixed reviews may sink it big time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Won't hurt them one bit cause they are fine character actors while the movie was sold as a George Clooney movie (even though he's a director his name was everywhere cause Hollywood still think he's a draw :wacko:). He even released pictures of his twins (does anyone care?) as a lead-in to his new movie hype. :rofl:

George Clooney has a set audience for movies he stars in, him as a lead is good for 35-40M domestic and a bit more WW due to name recognition, if budgets are low that kind of steady drawing power is pretty good for Hollywood.

He isn’t a big draw for blockbusters though, he can supplement a bit but not open anything huge by himself. His biggest OW was Batman and Robin for 17 years till Gravity.

BOP projections and TCs: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-jumanji-welcome-jungle-pitch-perfect-3-downsizing-father-figures/

Jumanji: 22/175

Pitch Perfect: 40/136

Downsizing: 10/59

Father Figures: 7/41

Bad Moms: 17.5/64 (-20/25%)

Thor: 109/280 (+4%)

Daddy's Home: 24/76 (-11%)

Justice League: 130/312 (-13/-6%)

Wonder: 16/55 (-0/15%)

Daddy's Home: 3,300

Orient Express: 3,100

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

He isn’t a big draw for blockbusters though, he can supplement a bit but not open anything huge by himself. His biggest OW was Batman and Robin for 17 years till Gravity.

Well anyone doing a batman movie will have that movie has is biggest opener for the rest of is life usually (except if he does an other giant franchise movie)

Still Perfect storm, Ocean 11/12 were really close to Batman 42m OW, Perfect storm was the 6th biggest opening of the year 2000

• Like 1

BOP projections and TCs: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-jumanji-welcome-jungle-pitch-perfect-3-downsizing-father-figures/

Jumanji: 22/175

Pitch Perfect: 40/136

Downsizing: 10/59

Father Figures: 7/41

I could see Jumanji pulling a Baywatch, but otherwise this seems right. Pitch Perfect 3 is bound to see a sizeable fall from the second.

• Like 1