CAYOM 3.0 Year 2 Discussion Thread

Okay since @Bastien won't be able to make it and I'm a bit behind myself (Voltron is a monster, it may take up all of Monday for me on its own) I have a proposal: I'll put up posts with all the films I have left (Shadow Entities, Rita, Countdown, Metroid) with the quick summaries but also with google docs links that I can keep working on until say Thursday or Friday since we're already leaving big gaps by delaying things as is. Since all those I listed will be released later in the year (I'm looking to move Shadow and Rita back) maybe everyone can hold off on reviewing them until I'm finished/give up. If I fail on finishing them all I'll ask @The Shape of Pasta to remove the films that aren't.

I'll leave the call up to @Xillix but it's just a proposal (and if I'm completely transparent I want those movies out the year I'm doing the actuals, not that I intend to cheat but I just think it'll be fun doing them).

Edited by cookie

31 minutes ago, cookie said:

Okay since @Bastien won't be able to make it and I'm a bit behind myself (Voltron is a monster, it may take up all of Monday for me on its own) I have a proposal: I'll put up posts with all the films I have left (Shadow Entities, Rita, Countdown, Metroid) with the quick summaries but also with google docs links that I can keep working on until say Thursday or Friday since we're already leaving big gaps by delaying things as is. Since all those I listed will be released later in the year (I'm looking to move Shadow and Rita back) maybe everyone can hold off on reviewing them until I'm finished/give up. If I fail on finishing them all I'll ask @The Shape of Pasta to remove the films that aren't.

I'll leave the call up to @Xillix but it's just a proposal (and if I'm completely transparent I want those movies out the year I'm doing the actuals, not that I intend to cheat but I just think it'll be fun doing them).

Not sure how I feel about this tbh. Other than amused at remembering how you were the one who thought waiting til January 8th was too long :P

It's true we're a bit short on major releases but it's also true that it'd be kind of unfair if we made a special exception for you. If I may counter with an admittedly-more-complicated proposal - might it make sense to release the summarized versions now, maybe with a few important scenes fully written out, and then perhaps do "Extended Edition" re-releases in future years? Could be a secondary revenue source and a chance for critical re-evaluation a la Kingdom of Heaven or anything Peter Jackson's ever directed. 

I do feel like if we let you but not anyone else take more time, and judge the product you make in that extra time on the same standards so it qualifies for reviews, box office, awards, etc., it's an unfair advantage. That said this is a silly fun forum game and I'm not going to pretend I'm "in charge" just because I'm the one editing the schedule. So I'll say that I'm personally opposed to it but I'm willing to defer to Spaghetti seeing as they're site staff.

2 hours ago, Xillix said:

Not sure how I feel about this tbh. Other than amused at remembering how you were the one who thought waiting til January 8th was too long :P

It's true we're a bit short on major releases but it's also true that it'd be kind of unfair if we made a special exception for you. If I may counter with an admittedly-more-complicated proposal - might it make sense to release the summarized versions now, maybe with a few important scenes fully written out, and then perhaps do "Extended Edition" re-releases in future years? Could be a secondary revenue source and a chance for critical re-evaluation a la Kingdom of Heaven or anything Peter Jackson's ever directed. 

I do feel like if we let you but not anyone else take more time, and judge the product you make in that extra time on the same standards so it qualifies for reviews, box office, awards, etc., it's an unfair advantage. That said this is a silly fun forum game and I'm not going to pretend I'm "in charge" just because I'm the one editing the schedule. So I'll say that I'm personally opposed to it but I'm willing to defer to Spaghetti seeing as they're site staff.

I never said I wanted to be an exception to the rule tbf, but it does feel like cheating when you put it like that.

Maybe because I've already spent so much time on them having to delay so much to who knows when and creating even more gaps in the schedule doesn't feel right either. Probably my own bad on spending all my 2.0 cache on Y1 but I can't exactly remedy that now.

And yes, all the deadline pushbacks in the first place were partially my doing so it's kinda shitty of me to keep wanting more time but I'll freely admit I'm not good at estimating my own workload.

MAYBE this can be met halfway though: have the deadline be 24 hours from now but only for the first half of the year (January-June) and have a second deadline for the other half (July-December) a few days from now? Reviews/predictions etc. can still begin to keep people occupied but those that need/want more time can still get it but will have to lose out on the first half of the calendar? It's a chance for everyone to not having to kill themselves to fill the schedule.

Edited by cookie

14 minutes ago, cookie said:

MAYBE this can be met halfway though: have the deadline be 24 hours from now but only for the first half of the year (January-June) and have a second deadline for the other half (July-December) a few days from now? Reviews/predictions etc. can still begin to keep people occupied but those that need/want more time can still get it but will have to lose out on the first half of the calendar? It's a chance for everyone to not having to kill themselves to fill the schedule.

I'm okay with that as long as we keep it brief. 11:59 PM EST Saturday night for the second half of the year?

• Like 1

If we're going through with the half deadline I'll be digging up some fillers and finish Countdown to Extinction (it's mercifully shorter than the others) in the afternoon so I have at least something for the first half of the year.

Edited by cookie

7 hours ago, Xillix said:

I'm okay with that as long as we keep it brief. 11:59 PM EST Saturday night for the second half of the year?

Does that apply to everyone? I am okay with the 2 I have for the year but I have 3 films near the end of the year I’d like to work on. I can get them finished by then.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Does that apply to everyone? I am okay with the 2 I have for the year but I have 3 films near the end of the year I’d like to work on. I can get them finished by then.

Yes it'd be for everyone.

And we can do Sunday, Saturday was just a suggestion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Yes it'd be for everyone.

And we can do Sunday, Saturday was just a suggestion.

Do Saturday, it's enough time for me (plus I'd rather not be compulsed to stay up finishing something at the last minute Monday morning CET when I have a doctor's appointment that day).

Edited by cookie

35 minutes ago, cookie said:

Do Saturday, it's enough time for me (plus I'd rather not be compulsed to stay up finishing something at the last minute Monday morning CET when I have a doctor's appointment that day).

Did it already :P