grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

On 8/2/2018 at 6:10 PM, CoolEric258 said:

One of my local Regals is having next Wednesday's preview. I don't have work on that day, so I might check it out.

Sadly, something popped up last minute so I won't see it tonight. Maybe somebody here's going out to see it.

• Sad 2

My friend is at a showing in LA right now.

- she just checked and nearly every AMC in LA is sold out right now. 

- Her AMC ended up adding a second showing.

- Tons of older women and (obviously) huge Asian turn out. 

• Astonished 2

I'm so happy that it's getting relatively good reviews and selling out everywhere. There was no question that BP would succeed, but this is smaller and hopefully opens the door for more movies about Asian people to be greenlit for Hollywood.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

sadly probably another overhyped film by critics probably for the wrong reasons

well no one's saying it's a masterpiece but when you hear that this movie has an entire minority group's future in the entertainment industry riding on it, what are like not going to be supportive? 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

well no one's saying it's a masterpiece but when you hear that this movie has an entire minority group's future in the entertainment industry riding on it, what are like not going to be supportive? 

cause its not real praise, when i hear critics say they feel they need to champion for these type of of films, they overpraise a merely ok film. This is Love Simon all over again, a merely ok film getting over praise.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

This is Love Simon all over again, a merely ok film getting over praise.

Maybe by some individual, but it 7.5/10 reception on RT, 7.1/10 on metacritic seem to match what I have seen in theater.

You think it was more of a 6.5/7 movie than a 7/7.5 ? or a bigger gap than that ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

cause its not real praise, when i hear critics say they feel they need to champion for these type of of films, they overpraise a merely ok film. This is Love Simon all over again, a merely ok film getting over praise.

So why do you get to choose what is and isn't legitimate praise?

• Like 6