grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Maybe by some individual, but it 7.5/10 reception on RT, 7.1/10 on metacritic seem to match what I have seen in theater.

You think it was more of a 6.5/7 movie than a 7/7.5 ? or a bigger gap than that ?

the score should be in around a 7 or high 6, but the way critics were pushing it was above average for any other fairy average film

if CRA remains above 8 on RT and such i will have my doubts it is fantastic, we will see

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the score should be in around a 7 or high 6, but the way critics were pushing it was above average for any other fairy average film

if CRA remains above 8 on RT and such i will have my doubts it is fantastic, we will see

lol using this metric, why wasn't A Wrinkle in Time such a critical darling with all the coverage it received for its "revolutionary" nature?

• Like 3

Just now, filmlover said:

lol using this metric, why wasn't A Wrinkle in Time such a critical darling with all the coverage it received for its "revolutionary" nature?

The way he talk about it that factor if it exist would be 0.5/10, 1/10 max type of boost, so passing from a 4.2/4.7 to a 5.2 for a wrinkle, not from 4.5/10 to a critical darling.

I'm not expecting a groundbreaking film for it's genre, I'm expecting a cute entertaining movie and that's what it sounds like the film is.  I am aware of how critics act sometimes when it comes to these sorts of things but they overrate sad white guy indies all the time and I don't see people complaining that much. 

• Like 2

Just getting home from the screening in LA. I honestly thought from the trailers this movie would be cringe/cheesy, but to my surprise its actually a really good rom com. One of the best if not the best ive seen in the past 5 years. I almost teared up a couple times.  

After the movie ended Awkafina  and the guy that plays the gay stylist in the movie came out and did a short Q&A and threw some souvenirs to people in the audience. Additionally, some of the collider people were in the audience as well and the only reason I noticed them is because they raised their hand to ask questions during the Q&A.

I had a good time. I might even see it again. The girl next to me kept crying/whimpering the entire time so I couldn't really hear some parts.

Edited by YLF
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Actually A Wrinkle in Time is still overhyped by critics because by usual metrics it should have gotten 5-12% on RT, not 40+%, because audience and imdb scores are Uwe Boll level horrible.

Edited by Firepower

I’m actually curious if this really could break out big. Reviews obviously help, and there hasn’t been a classic rom-com in AGES (a great one at least). 

Wondering if it could be a mini-MBFGW, I know my mum’s always said that when that movie came out she got all her sisters and cousins to see that one and it became an event for many people. 

Given all the typical “blockbusters” lately, it would be nice to see something... out of the ordinary, to break out big

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

cause its not real praise, when i hear critics say they feel they need to champion for these type of of films, they overpraise a merely ok film. This is Love Simon all over again, a merely ok film getting over praise.

But the position that critics are in with this movie pretty much means by praising or panning this film, they could potentially help greenlight or derail several future Asian-American led films. That's unfortunately the pressure Hollywood is putting on this movie, which isn't fair but that's the reality.

If this was a movie about a white girl who finds out her boyfriend is actually secretly a billionaire from Switzerland, then yeah sure it's probably just a generic rom-com with nothing else at stake.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebeccas said:

But the position that critics are in with this movie pretty much means by praising or panning this film, they could potentially help greenlight or derail several future Asian-American led films. That's unfortunately the pressure Hollywood is putting on this movie, which isn't fair but that's the reality.

If this was a movie about a white girl who finds out her boyfriend is actually secretly a billionaire from Switzerland, then yeah sure it's probably just a generic rom-com with nothing else at stake.

I think that it's more of a myth that they have the power to detail movies with honest critique than reality. A Wrinkle In Time looked absolutely abysmal. It would have been a flop with positive reviews too because it looked like shit. Book fanbase showed up as they would regardless of reviews, and Disney fudged the rest. World outside of US had no reason to flock to this (unknown source) and Disney couldn't fudge foreign receipts. Look at TLJ. Stellar reviews yet worst multi for a holiday blockbuster, terrible Audience score. GA didn't agree with reviews hence bad legs. It wasn't just 'whiny fanboys", people obviously didn't give it high marks or bother with repeat viewings. So critical reception didn't do shit for it.

Likewise, CRA fate will be decided by the appeal of the previews and strength of book fanbase, not by critical response. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

https://deadline.com/2018/08/crazy-rich-asians-box-office-sneak-previews-1202443100/

Warner Bros. held sneak previews last night for Jon M. Chu’s Crazy Rich Asians literally a week before opening and sold out most of its 354 locations. What’s important to note here is that the previews were paid, not free, thus underscoring moviegoers’ want-to-see for the movie based on Kevin Kwan’s bestselling book.

At the last minute, theater chains were adding additional auditoriums for their 7PM showtimes to accommodate demand and in markets like Texas, Alabama, and New England. 

Rivals estimate that Crazy Rich Asians drew around $450K-$500K and are impressed. The reporting of early sneak previews outside of Thursday night is fairly new for the industry, so there aren’t any comps.  Note that Crazy Rich Asians estimated screen average last night of $1,3K equals that of Hotel Transylvania 3‘s June 29 Amazon/Atom Tickets matinee sneak, even though that played at 1,000 theaters making $1.3M. In addition, Crazy Rich Asians on tracking is looking to play beyond its core demo to all female audiences with a 5-day opening between $18M-$21M. The pic opens next Wednesday.

• Like 5