grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Positive reviews for Set It Up indicate that after years of reviewers relentlessly bashing Rom Coms into the dirt now they're desperate to help revive the genre they helped bury

[movie was meh - all set up & no payoff - like that long endless pizza scene which ended in them taking like a bite]

jesus you people.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

jesus you people.

Glen Powell lover :lol:

I love rom coms - even junky ones but The Set Up was sexless unromantic drivel about two doofuses who through dumb life choices would never be able to afford rent in NYC.  The B story though doomed was much more fun to watch.

I watched it right after Sleeping With Other People - and even with the weak filler nonsensical twist of the last act it was leagues above it in humor, romance and chemistry (and that wasn't exactly It Happened One Night.)

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 4

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Glen Powell lover :lol:

I love rom coms - even junky ones but The Set Up was sexless unromantic drivel about two doofuses who through dumb life choices would never be able to afford rent in NYC.  The B story though doomed was much more fun to watch.

I watched it right after Sleeping With Other People - and even with the weak filler nonsensical twist of the last act it was leagues above it in humor, romance and chemistry (and that wasn't exactly It Happened One Night.)

I... agree. It was a minor effort at best. Since it was competent and a dying genre, it was praised a lot more than expected.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

Rom Com are not back due to this film.

The success of this film is by generating a ton of buzz in the media over the novelty of the casting and storyline.

The major reason Rom Com are not that popular is whyspend 20 bucks to watch a typical Rom Com in theatres when it comes out on streaming services in a few months. The films that are hit are the ones that have this yearning to see it right away in theaters now.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

This was so great! Both book fans and uninitiated can enjoy it! The leads really elevated those bland plot device characters from the book and turned them into real characters, especially Constance who's a Goddess as Rachel. :wub::bravo:

My theater was sold out with more sold out shows after. I think that sequel is a go! :hi5:

Great spotlight article from Deadline that perfectly puts into perspective why the success of this film is so ground-breaking:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1