grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

4 hours ago, gadd said:

For any UK/Irish members interested in seeing this, it looks like the release date has been moved forward from early November to September 14th.

Good. The original release date was shameful. Movie would’ve been online on release day. 

The release date was so bad. The US promo leaked over here. They had magazine covers from the popular US Mags on the shelves. We had newspapers write about the movie (it had a spot on the front page of Evening Standard last week), and then they said they’re releasing here in NOVEMBER!!!! It was a fucking outrage.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Good. The original release date was shameful. Movie would’ve been online on release day. 

The release date was so bad. The US promo leaked over here. They had magazine covers from the popular US Mags on the shelves. We had newspapers write about the movie (it had a spot on the front page of Evening Standard last week), and then they said they’re releasing here in NOVEMBER!!!! It was a fucking outrage.

Not to mention it would've gotten lost in a crowded market whereas September is looking pretty barren apart from The Nun and The Predator.

Saw CRA today and man, this was as bad as I feared it would be. Sickeningly garish conspicuous consumption? Check. Cookie-cutter characters? Check. Zero chemistry among the two leads? Check. Wooden acting and directing? Check. See each "plot twist" coming from 10 miles ahead? Check. Almost no moments of laughter despite this being called a "rom-com"? Check. Ken Jeong ruining the one scene he was in? Check. 

IMO, if CRA starred a mixed-race cast, it would be at about 22% on RT. The extra 75% on top of that I can only chalk up to media hype over the "first all-Asian cast in 25 years" or something.

D+

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I guess asians arent regarded as minorities in asia.

It’s criticizing the film for toting Asian representation as a landmark, however the cast is primarily East Asian and ignores a significant amount of the continent (people from Indian and Malay descent).  The critics would like the word ‘Asian’ to not just mean Chinese (or Japanese/Korean).

The criticism isn’t invalid.

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

It’s criticizing the film for toting Asian representation as a landmark, however the cast is primarily East Asian and ignores a significant amount of the continent (people from Indian and Malay descent).  The critics would like the word ‘Asian’ to not just mean Chinese (or Japanese/Korean).

I feel like they will find something to critisise no matter what they do.

Movies can't represent everybody when they are focused on a specific group.

19 hours ago, PANDA said:

As an Indian, I run into this issue when filling out online forms for literally anything. The "Race" option is normally, White, African-American, Latino, Asian, Other. I always mark Asian and am almost always met with a confused look as most Americans don't consider Indians as Asians. Maybe they should add Indian Subcontinent, and Middle Eastern as options. Thats a third of the world's population. It's just a drop down menu, but its one way I personally don't find representation sometimes.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, MrGlass2 said:

Maybe in Singapore:

Critics in city where hit film is set complain that it leaves out minorities and is ‘simplistic’

It's not really a fair comparison though. 

The problem with token representation is that it is just that. 

If you added the Malays, that would probably be some kind of backlash because they are meant to be Muslim, and should not be drinking alcohol etc. But then you open that door, and question why are all Malays Muslim? (Government policy) 

People keep talking about different kinds of representation, but then when Muslims are confronted by their brethren who are Atheist, then diversity is thrown out and bigotry reigns. If you're a Muslim who is not going to judge those of your race who choose not to be, then you have a point, otherwise eat your hypocrisy elsewhere. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 11:36 PM, Valonqar said:

I never had a feeling that books were targeting Asians anyway. They are about Asians but not specifically written for Asians. I'm sure that Asia was million of books of that kind, and TV soaps and movies. So it's more of an exotic book for mainstream American audience than anything else. 

Yeah, it's an American movie with an Asian cast. 

It is not an Asian movie. 

• Like 2

‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Author Kevin Kwan “Wanted” By Singapore Authorities For Skipping Military Service

https://deadline.com/2018/08/crazy-rich-asians-kevin-kwan-wanted-singapore-military-service-1202450058/

They must really hate this movie over there.

According to Singapore newspaper The Straits Times, Kwan grew up in Singapore but left the country at the age of 11 and now lives in the U.S. Penalties for those returning to Singapore without having completed NS include fines of up to S$10,000 ($7,314) and three years in prison.

He left when he was 11 and they still want him locked up.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1

16 hours ago, PANDA said:

Should've gone with "Crazy Rich East Asians".

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

I visited 3 years ago, other crazy laws I came across as a visitor and checking what could be taken through customs, 

Importation of books not allowed and Kindles are banned.

E-CIgarettes not allowed.

I think chewing gum is banned as well.

Edited by AndyK
  • Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

I visited 3 years ago, other crazy laws I came across as a visitor and checking what could be taken through customs, 

Importation of books not allowed and Kindles are banned.

E-CIgarettes not allowed.

I think chewing gum is banned as well.

Chewing gum is banned. My parents were in Singapore a couple of weeks ago. My dad is prescribed medicinal chewing gum for his vertigo issues and it was a problem getting it past customs. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Why is chewing gum banned?

Apparently because people spit is out everywhere and it can clog the drainage system. Singapore being a small island nation effectively cannot afford to have a clogged drainage system. At least thats the explanation provided.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, grim22 said:

Apparently because people spit is out everywhere and it can clog the drainage system. Singapore being a small island nation effectively cannot afford to have a clogged drainage system. At least thats the explanation provided.

Poor smokers can't use vapes or nicotine gum to help wean themselves off.