grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

Dear Crazy Rich Asians,

You look like a fun film. One which I'm sure the wife and I will eventually see. However, she has been wanting to see Mamma Mia 2 since it came out and last night was our chance. We gave you the ticket purchase price via MoviePass(long story if you don't know that drama) and went into Mamma Mia 2. Turns out college kids on a Thursday night just don't care after you pay where you go inside the building. 

Regards,

The Captain and his wife

#moviepasswewillmakeyouworkonewayoranother

• Haha 2

Finally watched this and loved it! I was surprised about how much was kept the same as the book. The acting and chemistry between the cast was great. It’s one of those rom coms that can be watched over and over again. Glad it’s doing so well! Well deserved!

On 8/22/2018 at 8:55 AM, BK007 said:

It's not really a fair comparison though. 

The problem with token representation is that it is just that. 

If you added the Malays, that would probably be some kind of backlash because they are meant to be Muslim, and should not be drinking alcohol etc. But then you open that door, and question why are all Malays Muslim? (Government policy) 

People keep talking about different kinds of representation, but then when Muslims are confronted by their brethren who are Atheist, then diversity is thrown out and bigotry reigns. If you're a Muslim who is not going to judge those of your race who choose not to be, then you have a point, otherwise eat your hypocrisy elsewhere. 

Muslim isnt a race.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, KJsooner said:

Constance Wu is going to be a breakout star now. She was so freaking good. 

especially since Rachel is a total cipher in the book, by far the worst character. Constance really turned her around. 

I do hope they honor the trilogy's fact that Queen Kitty has the best character arc of everyone.

Edited by Valonqar

FINALLY saw this, and boy, I was GAGGED. Truly iconic and stellar.

By far one of my favorites of the year, it was such a funny and heart-warming film that I hope audiences continue to leave their habitat for.

Tired of the whites owning everything, give the others support!

• Like 1

Saw this yesterday. It is not perfect, but there are some many good things being conveyed that it is entirely entertaining. Western vs. Eastern values - the cultural conflicts - good use of the Singaporean breathtaking views.

I just read this article this morning, which probably reflects on some representation issues that had happened in the past decades. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/04/26/an-all-asian-cast-and-no-martial-arts-why-the-crazy-rich-asians-movie-matters/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9311db33c1ca

On 8/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, AndyK said:

The difference is that the asian community are already well served with asian movies from asia.

Which is why I don't think this will do too well in asia itself, 

2 hours ago, imbruglia said:

yeah. not sure how it will do in Asia. it's nothing special to Asians. only selling point is "huge success in US".

Not very well, as predicted.