grim22

Crazy Rich Asians | August 15 2018 | Jon M. Chu directing. Michelle Yeoh, Henry Golding, Gemma Chan, Constance Wu and Ken Jeong to star

2 hours ago, Morieris said:

That's a really awkward way to establish Astrid but whatever Gemma Chan is gorgeous. 

This looks ... average.  I hope for some sarcasm or smth else, but not too squarely narrative. I haven't read the book, but it looks like Chu spoiled the movie (because he is a bad director).

Edited by KeepItU25071906

11 hours ago, Valonqar said:

The books are not LCD at all and there's no reason why movies based on them should be. 

I'm not familiar with the books, but I bet we can all think of examples where a good book was 'dumbed down' or otherwise made into a  cheesy film in the interest of movie marketing. Again, hope this hasn't happened here.

We'll find out soon enough - I do plan to see it.  

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm not familiar with the books, but I bet we can all think of examples where a good book was 'dumbed down' or otherwise made into a  cheesy film in the interest of movie marketing. Again, hope this hasn't happened here.

We'll find out soon enough - I do plan to see it.  

true though early word is that it isn't the case. But then, early word was that Interstellar was winning all the awards. 

• Like 1

They had the chance to join the legendary and great Set It Up over on Netflix. They blew it

Behind one door: Warner Bros., which had outbid other traditional studios with a distribution offer for Crazy Rich Asians a week earlier. Behind the other: Netflix, the great disrupter, which had come in hot the following Monday, dangling complete artistic freedom, a greenlighted trilogy and huge, seven-figure-minimum paydays for each stakeholder, upfront. Now Warners had come back with not so much a counteroffer as an ultimatum, giving the filmmakers just 15 minutes to pick an option. Jacobson spoke up: "We're going to go with whatever Kevin and Jon want to do."

the director and the novelist passed on the crazy rich offer — "I could have moved to an island and never worked another day," says Kwan — and said no to Netflix. After more than a dozen advisers hung up in disappointment, Kwan called Chu. Both were in tears as Kwan asked, "What just happened?"

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/crazy-rich-asians-story-behind-rom-com-1130965

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

I'm glad they didn't take it to netflix for exactly the reasons they say.

Also it would be too easy for people to just pirate it. At least people who get this film in November (seriously) are a lot less than those who would sit at home and just download it from Netflix on release date.

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

Also it would be too easy for people to just pirate it. At least people who get this film in November (seriously) are a lot less than those who would sit at home and just download it from Netflix on release date.

Netflix films get released the same day everywhere. With the Nov release, this thing will be online in 4k on its UK release date. 

1 hour ago, Morieris said:

I am not sure why they would care about something like that in that context, it would have been a tv movie anyway, that does not change how people see it, how much they are paid and so on..

19 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

The books aren't like high literature lol they're fun soapy rom-coms. As long the movie does that, it's fine.

Rich People's Problems is a masterpiece of Beach Lit. I want CRA to do super well to warrant the sequel and then CRG to do supper well so we can get the glory that's RPP. :bop:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure why they would care about something like that in that context, it would have been a tv movie anyway, that does not change how people see it, how much they are paid and so on..

Do pirated views count towards Netflix going "Hey, people like Asian stories and we should make more of them?"

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Do pirated views count towards Netflix going "Hey, people like Asian stories and we should make more of them?"

I imagine they do track them, but I suspect they are heavily correlated with standard views anyway.

How many people seem to have created an account to watch it (by looking the time difference between the first log in and watching something), is probably a big metric for them.

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

Also Who on Earth pirates Netflix? You’re either really broke or really lonely if you don’t have Netflix at this point (seriously, the amount of people I know with Netflix due to password sharing is ridiculous).

Access is so easy it seemingly prevents piracy. No Netflix show is on this list. Not even Stranger Things.

Torrentfreak-chart.png

17 hours ago, AJG said:

Also Who on Earth pirates Netflix? You’re either really broke or really lonely if you don’t have Netflix at this point (seriously, the amount of people I know with Netflix due to password sharing is ridiculous).

Access is so easy it seemingly prevents piracy. No Netflix show is on this list. Not even Stranger Things.

Torrentfreak-chart.png

The people who pirate Netflix are people who think that paying for something you can get for free is for suckers.

@tomknff

Did she completely forget about Harold and Kumar? I distinctly remember that the fact it had 2 Asian-American leads was very much talked about.

I can't say in what context "Asian American story" she's talking about. So maybe she forgot about H&K or maybe the context is different. IMO, not as big a gaffe as Thandie Newton calling her character "first major WoC character in SW" just 3 months after TLJ introduced Kelly Tran's Rose. Yikes.

18 hours ago, AJG said:

Damn, I can't find the correct 'I sure am!' gif I wanted to use.

I just don't find a lot of it worth paying for.