aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

6 minutes ago, RRA said:

Adding death doesn’t necessarily add stakes that audiences will care about. (See BVS)

Maybe not, but it makes every scene feel like anything can truly happen and adds tension to the movie, as opposed to "here comes an awesome action scene where no one will be actually hurt". Also, a death would really nail the point of civil WAR - "war": conflict where people die - in a way that puts the tragedy of these heroes fighting each other in front of us and makes the film feel legitimately dramatic and intense, rather than just playing it for laughs and/or FUCK YEAH! type of adrenaline from fans and fanboys alike. How awesome would it be if the Avengers realized that they killed one of their own in their little dick-measuring contest, would probably be a seriously chilling moment.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

Thor isn't going to steal Justice League's Thunder. The box office has been dead between it and Thor so one film opening to 120 million is not going to prevent another one from doing so. Justice League and my opinion is going to open north of 150.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Someone (ie War Machine) should’ve died. While CW was a good movie, the one thing I thought that kept it from recapturing the magic during rewatches was a little bit more drama and stakes (and maybe end it on a bit more darker note)

Have you seen RAGNAROK?

If a supporting character is dispatched, that doesn’t mean the audience will necessarily care or remember it strongly afterwards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

It doesn't, but it nails the point of civil WAR - "war": conflict where people die - in a way that puts the tragedy of these heroes fighting each other in front of us and makes the film feel legitimately dramatic and intense, rather than just playing it for laughs and/or FUCK YEAH! type of adrenaline from fans and fanboys alike. How awesome would it be if the Avengers realized that they killed one of their own in their little dick-measuring contest, would probably be a seriously chilling moment.

The avengers just killed themselves. I think that was the point right. The idea is more powerful than a life.

• Like 3

If Thor gets to 120 I don't see how it doesn't get to 300.  And I'm sure this has happened before.  But I wonder if this is the first series where the first film grossed 100m+, the second 200m+ and the third 300m+ possibly.

As for BMC don't have much to say, though I can't recall seeing any marketing for it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Last baumer said:

Thor isn't going to steal Justice League's Thunder. The box office has been dead between it and Thor so one film opening to 120 million is not going to prevent another one from doing so. Justice League and my opinion is going to open north of 150.

I’m thinking somewhere between $150M-$170M myself but I’m curious since it’s two big CBMs opening so close to each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

If Thor gets to 120 I don't see how it doesn't get to 300.  And I'm sure this has happened before.  But I wonder if this is the first series where the first film grossed 100m+, the second 200m+ and the third 300m+ possibly.

As for BMC don't have much to say, though I can't recall seeing any marketing for it

Captain America did.

• Like 3

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

It doesn't, but it nails the point of civil WAR - "war": conflict where people die - in a way that puts the tragedy of these heroes fighting each other in front of us and makes the film feel legitimately dramatic and intense, rather than just playing it for laughs and/or FUCK YEAH! type of adrenaline from fans and fanboys alike. How awesome would it be if the Avengers realized that they killed one of their own in their little dick-measuring contest, would probably be a seriously chilling moment.

It wouldn't be awesome at all.  It would be the end of them as heroes.   It would be making the same mistakes they made with the new re-envisioned Batman & Superman.  But worse because it would be out of characters for these versions of characters we've known and liked for years.

No one died in the comic Civil War except Bill Foster killed by an out of control Thor Clone.  There wasn't out of control blood lust to the point of killing.  These are friends and family.  It was about the division of a family and the wounds that are made.  Those emotional wounds are there on screen in Civil War.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It wouldn't be awesome at all.  It would be the end of them as heroes.   It would be making the same mistakes they made with the new re-envisioned Batman & Superman.  But worse because it would be out of characters for these versions of characters we've known and liked for years.

No one died in the comic Civil War except Bill Foster killed by an out of control Thor Clone.  There wasn't out of control blood lust to the point of killing.  These are friends and family.  It was about the division of a family and the wounds that are made.  Those emotional wounds are there on screen in Civil War.

I understand but if War Machine got accidentally shot down and died (because neither sides tried to kill each other) it would have left more of impact. The Avengers killed one of their own due to the Accords. 

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Last baumer said:

I don't see the buzz for JL to do $150m or get near BvS.  Right now it doesn't even feel like SS buzz.  But good reviews could change that.

• Like 2

Just now, TalismanRing said:

I don't see the buzz for JL to do $150m or get near BvS.  Right now it doesn't even feel like SS buzz.  But good reviews could change that.

It could be due to WB’s new marketing strategy. Once Thor leaves, JL will be marketed everywhere. WB are king at last second marketing just look at Kong.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ACSlater said:

The avengers just killed themselves. I think that was the point right. The idea is more powerful than a life.

But again, I would buy that idea easier if it came at a cost of a life. If someone died while the Avengers were destroying each other, that would be the X-factor to the fracturing of the team. Also, CIVIL WAR. CIVIL WAR. Not Civil Argument, not Civil Street Fight, not Civil Divorce - that would actually be an appropriate title for the film, Civil Divorce.... Civil WAR. War is a very strong word, and if you want me to buy that this was a war, make it feel like one. Make it feel like there is genuine bloodlust and that they are willing, albeit they will regret it later obviously, to kill each other. And it would make CW more than just a quality-wise very good and somewhat consequential but ultimately forgettable MCU entry.

Anyway, this is a little too off-topic. Thor: Ragnarok - it's doing great, it's a pretty kick-ass movie, I want it to cross 300M and keep Marvel's streak alive. INSANE year for CBM's, between this, Logan, Wonder Woman, Homecoming and Guardians V2. Here's hoping Justice League is another good one.

Also, great PTA for Lady Bird. Gotta show Saoirse that love :wub:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I understand but if War Machine got accidentally shot down and died because neither sides tried to kill each other it would have left more of impact.

At least for me that character hasn't made much of an impact since IM which is a shame since I love Cheadle

• Like 1