aabattery

Weekend Thread | Actuals (p.100) ~ Thor: Ragnarok - 122.744M, Bad Moms 2 16.759M, Jigsaw 6.558M, Boo 2 4.451M, Geostorm 3.194M | GOLD ACCOUNT SALE (1st post for details) | 91k PTA for Lady Bird

12 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a shame that the box office is so monolithic at the moment, superheroes dominate everything and movies like BR2049 or Valerian can't become even modest hits.

Because they sucked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

19 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

It is a shame that the box office is so monolithic at the moment, superheroes dominate everything and movies like BR2049 or Valerian can't become even modest hits.

I was about to post something about that. Thor fan, I want CBMs to continue to dominate. But man, hardly anything makes money in the theaters these days, besides the CBMs.

I like old school horror (not the current cheap, bloodless, PG13 mass produced, mainstream Blumhouse thing). Sci fi, action, thrillers. I want them to do well too.

The Friday The 13th sequel gets canned because Rings bombed. Things like that are going on, because nobody can make any money outside of the CBM genre.

You've gotta be an idiot to sign on to some of these weird projects like Matt Damon has been taking. In this current box office climate, you're asking for a bomb :D

Edited by OdinSon2k14
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OdinSon2k14 said:

I was about to post something about. Thor fan, I want CBMs to continue to dominate. But man, hardly anything makes money in the theaters these days, besides the CBMs.

I like old school horror (not the current cheap, bloodless, PG13 mass produced, mainstream Blumhouse thing). Sci fi, action, thrillers. I want them to do well too.

The Friday The 13th sequel gets canned because Rings bombed. Things like that are going on, because nobody can make any money outside of the CBM genre.

The animation genre is the only other thing that makes money at the box office. It’s nice to see something like IT breaking out. I want more sci-fi, action, comedy, whatever also breakout too. I love CBMs and will try to see all 11 next year.

Shame about FT13:2, but I doubt it’d help Paramount out. They are pretty much dead.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Valerian might’ve been worse than The Mummy. I’m gonna have to rewatch Mummy to be certain that I have not misplaced my hate.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Valerian might’ve been worse than The Mummy. I’m gonna have to rewatch Mummy to be certain that I have not misplaced my hate.

Valerian is actually a good movie.

The Mummy is one of the worst films of the year, if not the worst.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Logan: Good first two acts, third act that's fine but only really picks up at the very end

GotG2: Good first act, sags in the middle, good third act

WW: Good first two acts, stumbles in the third act

SMH: More consistent even if the third act is a little underwhelming

Ragnarok: Somewhat rushed first act, good second and third acts

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Because they sucked.

I’ll go to bat for VALERIAN. Great world building, decent pulpy Franco-stylized take on the blockbuster template with a few good setpieces (like the alien shopping mall and it’s complications.) An ending regarding the plot-driving conspiracy that’s more tangible and cynical regarding warfare than another movie that was simply “gee War is bad.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The snow tonight might hurt it a tad my theatre, but Thor's matinees were spectacular here. If it isn't hurt by the snow, it'll do over our equivalent of 40M today, which is almost on par with Friday including previews.

50 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Hmm, there's something about these three movies you avoided that are connected.

Maybe CJohn Understands.

:ph34r: 

43 minutes ago, aabattery said:

How can he hate the MCU if he doesn't watch the movies?

Next level mind games from Tele.

:ph34r: 

42 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I can predict Tele review of JL.

Was very messy and sloppy but I am secret dc fan boy

7 out of ten

(there’s a decent chance I won’t see it at all) :ph34r: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

The snow tonight might hurt it a tad my theatre, but Thor's matinees were spectacular here. If it isn't hurt by the snow, it'll do over our equivalent of 40M today, which is almost on par with Friday including previews.

Isn’t snow a bit unusual for this time of year in Vancouver?

It also snowed in parts of Tasmania yesterday. 

Snow in November isn't unheard of in the Pacific Northwest, though I'll claim American ignorance as to knowing whether Vancouver (the Canadian one, anyway) has a climate more like that of Western (i.e. Seattle) or Eastern Washington.

Edited by Webslinger