DeeCee

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power | Amazon | September 2, 2022

*finds out the name of the song being used*

Oh, that's funny.

It's a gorgeous song and the mood/spirit perfectly fits what's being put to the screen in that promo.

But "allegory"?  Well someone has a cheeky sense of humor, I think, given Tolkien's noted distaste at calling LotR allegorical. :lol:

(still an awesome piece of music, mind)

I was a bit concerned about this for awhile with Amazon, Fallen Kingdom Director, and those rookie show runners, but thats a lot of top brass that was just announced lining up behind this thing.

I really do hope this is a return to form for Middle Earth because those movies had an enormous impact on me growing up, still the best theatrical events to date.

That video zeroing in on "the second age" and "numenor" is making it hard to temper expectations.

• Like 1

I’m excited about this, still a little worried that they won’t do the source material justice. But with the crew they have gathered they are giving themselves a great shot at making something awesome. 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 2:20 AM, Ozymandias said:

I was a bit concerned about this for awhile with Amazon, Fallen Kingdom Director, and those rookie show runners, but thats a lot of top brass that was just announced lining up behind this thing.

I really do hope this is a return to form for Middle Earth because those movies had an enormous impact on me growing up, still the best theatrical events to date.

That video zeroing in on "the second age" and "numenor" is making it hard to temper expectations.

Fallen Kingdom director is super talented dude. Just because Fallen Kingdom sucks (likely not his fault he is just a cog in a machine) doesn't reduce his talent. He made a really beautiful film called A Monster Calls which is this British modern life / dark fantasy hybrid. The Impossible is really good. Apparently he made a film called The Orphanage which was very well received.

Incidentally, he is a collaborator with Guillermo del Toro... I wonder if there would be any chance of some Del Toro episodes on this show!

Edited by Avatree

18 hours ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

Aragorn won't have been born for... I believe... THOUSANDS of years when this show starts. The Second Age spans about 3000 years. I think this show is covering about 2000 years of that? This entire series might end with the Last Alliance...which is the prologue to Fellowship... but even that's about 2000 years before Aragorn is born. 

I don't think they'll get Howard Shore to score this, either. 

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Beside some elves already shown in the Peter Jackson directed movies I think the only characters they could reuse is Gandalf and Radagast, as the actor portraying Saruman died a few years back.

Plus maybe someone from the baddies beside Sauron

Quoting here as I didn't wanna derail that thread. Gandalf and the other Wizard entered middle earth in the 3rd age, a thousand years after the ending of the 2nd age. It wouldnt make sense to have them on the show. 

Besides Sauron, the only recognizable character from LoTR that plays a role (a very small role) in the 2nd age is Elrond. The other significant characters in the 2nd age like Gil-Galad, Elendil and Isildur were only on screen in LoTR movies for a few seconds at best. 

As for a baddie apart from Sauron, they’d have to invent a new one because Sauron was the big baddie in the 2nd age. Apart from the Numenoreans that turn bad towards the end, there aren't any significant villain mentioned in the appendices (or Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales) that I recall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 2:33 AM, ZeeSoh said:

As for a baddie apart from Sauron, they’d have to invent a new one because Sauron was the big baddie in the 2nd age. Apart from the Numenoreans that turn bad towards the end, there aren't any significant villain mentioned in the appendices (or Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales) that I recall

if its the second age, they wouldn't need to invent a new villain because Sauron would be an actual character instead of the large looming backdrop that he is in LOTR.  Whether its as Annatar with the elves or his time in Numenor 

• Like 1

f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png f4yfcEc.png 

As reported by CinemaBlend, Shippey, who was recently revealed to be part of the creative team on the series and will help with adapting Tolkien's works for the prequel series, spoke to Deutsche Tolkien about locations, filming, and the possibility of a 20 episode season.

It's important to note that this interview was translated from German, so there may be some discrepancies, and obviously many factors may alter this potential episode count of this much anticipated show.

"The exact locations are of course uncertain and it could well be several," Shippey said. "The shooting itself does not take place chronologically, but is oriented towards the locations. Logically, you try to bundle all the scenes that take place in one location and film them so that you have it done and don’t have to return to that place several times. But this also implies that everything has to be clear at the start of filming, you have to know the end. There’s supposed to be 20 episodes for the first season. So until they’ve decided what the end is going to be, they can’t start filming."

Recently, shows on streaming networks have tended to be around the 8-13 episode mark, so the potential of a 20-episode season would be pretty big news.

As for how much the Tolkien Estate has been influencing the direction of the show, Shippey claims that the series must stick to the Second Age (Peter Jackson's films took place in the Third Age) and that "the main shape of the Second Age is not altered."

"Amazon has a relatively free hand when it comes to adding something, since, as I said, very few details are known about this time span," Shippey explained. "The Tolkien Estate will insist that the main shape of the Second Age is not altered. Sauron invades Eriador, is forced back by a Númenorean expedition, is returns to Númenor. There he corrupts the Númenoreans and seduces them to break the ban of the Valar. All this, the course of history, must remain the same."
However, that doesn't mean Amazon can't have some creative freedom, as Amazon can reportedly add new characters and "ask and potentially answer a lot of intriguing questions." Considering the Second Age lasted 3,441 years until Sauron was defeated by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men, there is ton of room for more stories.
"What has Sauron done in the meantime? Where was he after Morgoth was defeated? Theoretically, Amazon can answer these questions by inventing the answers, since Tolkien did not describe it," Shippey finished. "But it must not contradict anything which Tolkien did say. That’s what Amazon has to watch out for. It must be canonical, it is impossible to change the boundaries which Tolkien has created, it is necessary to remain 'tolkienian.'"

As for the 20 episode thing, they could easily break it into 2 10 episode chunks.  If they insist on having it all be released at once.  Have a nice mid-season cliffhanger.

But Shippey is absolutely right about one thing.  They have a LOT of timeframe to work in.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, Porthos said:

As for the 20 episode thing, they could easily break it into 2 10 episode chunks.  If they insist on having it all be released at once.  Have a nice mid-season cliffhanger.

But Shippey is absolutely right about one thing.  They have a LOT of timeframe to work in.

Hopefully they split it into two parts otherwise we will be waiting for a long time for this to come out.

Really looking forward to seeing the Second Age, wonder what the series will be named though, I doubt they call it LoTR the series, they need something to tie it into the series though so people know it’s related not just a random fantasy show. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Hopefully they split it into two parts otherwise we will be waiting for a long time for this to come out.

Really looking forward to seeing the Second Age, wonder what the series will be named though, I doubt they call it LoTR the series, they need something to tie it into the series though so people know it’s related not just a random fantasy show. 

Part of the article that I didn't quote:

Shippey also reportedly said that "The Powers That Be meant to start airing the show in 2021, so he didn't think production would start this year - but he wasn't sure."

So got a bit of a wait, I'm afraid. :)

As for what they're gonna call it, probably just Lord of the Rings (on Prime).  Maybe Lord of the Rings: Chronicles of the Second Age or something like that.  It's still about the battle over the rings, presumably.

If not that, something about Numenor.  Could even have each season have a distinct name, kinda like the books themselves (which also had two names within them).  Lots of possibilities.

Be pretty surprised if LotR isn't involved in some way or fashion.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

Part of the article that I didn't quote:

So got a bit of a wait, I'm afraid. :)

As for what they're gonna call it, probably just Lord of the Rings (on Prime).  Maybe Lord of the Rings: Chronicles of the Second Age or something like that.  It's still about the battle over the rings, presumably.

If not that, something about Numenor.  Could even have each season have a distinct name, kinda like the books themselves (which also had two names within them).  Lots of possibilities.

Be pretty surprised if LotR isn't involved in some way or fashion.

It should just be called Middle Earth or Middle Earth: The Second Age.

Edited by Ozymandias

@aabattery @Gamora feel like being an extra in a multi million dollar TV production, by any chance? :ph34r:

===

EDIT:  Confirmation from Deadline:

Amazon Studios revealed today it will shoot The Lord of the Rings TV series, based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s iconic fantasy novels, in New Zealand. Pre-production has started, and production on the series will begin in Auckland in the coming months.

“As we searched for the location in which we could bring to life the primordial beauty of the Second Age of Middle-earth, we knew we needed to find somewhere majestic, with pristine coasts, forests, and mountains, that also is a home to world-class sets, studios, and highly skilled and experienced craftspeople and other staff. And we’re happy that we are now able to officially confirm New Zealand as our home for our series based on stories from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings,” said showrunners and executive producers J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. “We are grateful to the people and the government of New Zealand and especially Auckland for supporting us during this pre-production phase. The abundant measure of Kiwi hospitality with which they have welcomed us has already made us feel right at home, and we are looking forward to deepening our partnership in the years to come.”

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 1:50 PM, Kthuxi said:

I couldn't be more excited for this if I tried. I hope it can capture 1/10th the magic of the original movies and it'll be the best thing on TV.

I really hope so.

And I'm so glad Scotland lost out on this due to Brexit.  As far as I'm concerned, New Zealand IS Middle Earth.  There are so many incredible landscape shots in that trilogy with little to no added CGI.  Thanks Brexit, you made New Zealand Great Again.  One of these days before I die I'm gonna visit New Zealand.   Good thing I'm only 29 and have plenty of time.